What makes your metal detector good? How to become a good detectorist? Do you care? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: What makes your metal detector good? How to become a good detectorist? Do you care?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    beachcomber, treasure hunter, fisherman

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    Mine lab primary fisher secondary
    45133 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (3)
    I think some of us are metaldetectorists and others of us are full blooded treasure hunters. Those of us that consider our selves treasure hunters know that the metaldetector is just a tool in your tool belt. I have as much time using a probe hunting in the swamp for bottles as I have using a metal detector. When one can tell the difference between rock, steel, and glass with a ceramic tipped fiberglass rod....well....those suttle tones and feelings take years and years to understand and learn. And there are no instructions. Also have used black lights to look for disturbances in plaster and paint (estate sale drug smugglers home). I can go to an airport and almost always come out with gold, gemstones, or both. Many of us hunt the atypical treasures like gemstones, ambergris, bottles,etc. Learning the magnetometer has been one of the most challenging things....boats, computers, tow fish etc. Very easy to make serious mistakes. Its a mindset, and some are alot more serious than others. Those guys that want to flip on a machine and see whats on the beach 3 or 4 times a year are in this hobby for different reasons.....fresh air, exercise, camaraderie, etc. Others of us are searching for other reasons. If you are as dedicated to this as calabash is....well you will learn the machine as best you can because you care for other reasons than the casual detectorist does !! It comes down to dedication, passion, determination, research, and time put in !! I think what we see is different levels of passion and dedication, calabash may be right....some of us don't watch these videos with the same level of enthusiasm than others. I watch only here and there just to make sure I'm not in the dark on something important.....but for the main part I would rather be in the real world treasure hunting with or without a metal detector. Its like a hammer....some guys can drive nails in 1 or 2 blows. For Other guys it can be considerably more difficult and there fingers get mashed....in the end the nails still get pounded in though. All of it is a state of mind....TREASURE HUNTING FOR ME !!
    wahoo caught in bahamas

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    XP DEUS,EQUINOX 800, ANFIBIO MULTI, EXCALIBUR
    9740 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc053 View Post
    I watched the whole video, and I can't tell if Calabash was responding to some criticism that I'm not aware of, or trying to say "you're either with me or you're against me", or whether he was trying to motivate those who don't invest the time to learn their detectors (although it sounded/felt like shame-motivation to me....). I pretty sure this wasn't about "I'm better than you"....pretty sure.

I guess I'm more of the mindset of "to each his own". If you want to wear purple, go ahead. I don't like purple and would never wear it, but you wearing it doesn't hurt me and if it makes you happy, go ahead.
    If you don't want to invest the time to learn your detector (or maybe you don't have the time because you only get to slip away from your family/work obligations for an hour or two a week), then it's no skin off my back. I hope you're having fun - because that's probably what matters most.

I enjoy a lot of Calabash's videos - for the finds and the advice. I didn't get much usable advice from this video. Maybe I totally missed the point - which could easily be on me.
    I was responding to criticism that I have received over the last few years from some on the forums....Basically acting like testing and such is a bunch of nonsense. I should have gave a back story

I grew as poor as dirt with drug addict parent...Lived in the projects and we ate because we had food stamps... I have came a long way in this life and thinking I am better than someone is NOT in my DNA...Had to overcome my own demons too ... Celebrating 12 years this month...

I think I grew up harder than some and it makes me more brash and some dont know how to take that..

I am a treasure hunter and I do take this hobby serious maybe to serious at points but it feels good to have passion about something that is so rewarding.

Jas 1:22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    41435 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by calabash digger View Post
    I was responding to criticism that I have received over the last few years from some on the forums....Basically acting like testing and such is a bunch of nonsense. I should have gave a back story

I grew as poor as dirt with drug addict parent...Lived in the projects and we ate because we had food stamps... I have came a long way in this life and thinking I am better than someone is NOT in my DNA...Had to overcome my own demons too ... Celebrating 12 years this month...

I think I grew up harder than some and it makes me more brash and some dont know how to take that..

I am a treasure hunter and I do take this hobby serious maybe to serious at points but it feels good to have passion about something that is so rewarding.
    First of all I tip my hat to the 12-it just gets better no matter how-36/34 for myself.

I got it, in what you're trying to get across on the difference. There's no way a machine as the 150 can compete against a high level machine if one is operating it correctly.
    I went toe-toe with a Explorer SE vs the Ace 150 I knew that it would be a no win for the Ace. Though I got a sure bet signal-let buddy try to hear it-sometimes a little pip of a signal no matter how he scrubbed-or the statement that he would not of dug that sound/target.
    I've watched folks on hunts where it's costing big dollars, and have the best machine that are produced under company X. But time and time again it comes down to the operator period. You can have X amount of yrs under the belt-and still be crap at what one's doing.
    Just a few examples: Belly empty-detect like crap (DLC), Time short-DLC, Weather hot/cold/wet-DLC, Tired-DLC, want to get the place covered too quickly-DLC, this just a few.
    Look down at that coil folks-what's it doing-laying parallel with the ground, or like some 1/4 mile dragster taking off at the start line! Seriously how many times does one detect which the heel of the coil is doing the coverage?
    Going too fast-it's not a race except for a planted beach hunt for prizes (did one in my life-bag of coins and a new Minelab detector) then you go fast dig-dig-dig like a bunny.
    But out in the field/beach/bush it's slow down enjoy and dig that iffy.
    I have said it before and will say it again 1000 hr on a machine and then it's talking to me-instead of barking at me. Until those hours are in-well I'm not getting what it was intended to give to me.
    I Might walk/stroll to get the first nail-then one has to snail the speed down. I have certainly found more relaxed than all wound up inside trying to.

Still I believe in buying a top of the line machine: I can afford it-but it doesn't help really unless I put the time and effort into the machine to begin with.
    Started with a Heathkit home version, then Whites (Goldmaster)-Minelab explorer series-Deus the one I'm playing with now.
    50+yrs and still I learn something every season on what works. (slow learner maybe)

Disclaimer I watch/read only a few instructional teachers on the net-calabash your one of the small group.
    calabash digger and Blak bart like this.
    "If it was easy-It would have already been done-Life 101."
    ďI treat the outside world as one raw very warm wet chicken that has sitting out too long. wash and sterilize everything me touches.Ē ó pepperj

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5476 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Finds do not determine how good a detector is
    Really? It sure goes a long way in my book. I've found a lot more good stuff with my AT Pro because my Ace 250 couldn't weed out the trash as well as my AT Pro. Can't find the good stuff if you're constantly wasting your time digging bottle caps and other bits of trash. Also, I've found a lot of great coins and relics in trashy and iron infested areas with my AT Pro that I would have missed with the Ace 250.
    calabash digger likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Colonel

Jan 2014
    Central Florida
    EQX 800; CTX 3030; Excal II
    1507 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    As I stated on Terry's post regarding CD's video:

CD has a great point and I agree with him.

Over the years, I've tested and/or used detectors from every major manufacturer as a voluntary retirement activity for Kellyco. I was never an employee of Kellyco and didn't want to be...I didn't want the constraints or obligations that comes with being an employee. I was free to express my unadulterated opinion on everything I tested.

Bottom line; Calabash is right and I own Minelab products exclusively. I did own an XP Deus but much prefer multi frequency machines over selectable frequency machines for the kind of beach hunting that I do.

Just the view from my foxhole...
    ~The Challenge: Big Beach; Little Coil; Tiny Targets~

~"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"~ Leonardo da Vinci

~Pre-determined settings serve only to get you in the ballpark. Itís up to you to pick the best seat~

us
    Jan 2015
    Morris County, NJ
    Minelab Equinox 800 XP Deus
    1374 times
    Metal Detecting

Thanks for the clarification, Calabash - It's clear I didn't have the background and missed the original theme of the video. And I'm sorry if you felt that you had to share your background in response to my post - that certainly wasn't my intent.
    I have a friend here in my town who started metal detecting last year because he was reading about my local finds and wanted to join in. I taught him what I could (I'm no expert) and he really took to the hobby. During one of our outings in the fall he admitted to me that he was a recovering addict, and something like metal detecting was good for him because he could focus his tendency to have "addictions" on improving his skills and on getting outdoors to hunt for targets. He probably ended up spending more time in the field in 2020 than I did - and it seems like he's happier for it, although I can tell that he gets annoyed if I find something good - and I'm not sure what to do about that. I don't want to drive his addiction to become worse... But I think I'm just supposed to live my life, and he's got to live his...? Sorry, I've taken a left turn away from the original post with this response.

Anyway, Calabash with better understanding of your situation I understand your post and I think it's totally OK for you, me and others to take it seriously. But my definition of "serious" and yours is likely different - and that's OK. And it's probably also OK for others who can't/don't want to take it seriously to do it their way. That old saying about horses and drinking water is probably applicable here.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    9740 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBirdTim View Post
    Really? It sure goes a long way in my book. I've found a lot more good stuff with my AT Pro because my Ace 250 couldn't weed out the trash as well as my AT Pro. Can't find the good stuff if you're constantly wasting your time digging bottle caps and other bits of trash. Also, I've found a lot of great coins and relics in trashy and iron infested areas with my AT Pro that I would have missed with the Ace 250.
    What if you had stumbled on to ten gold coins with the Ace 250.... What then?? Is it better than the AT PRO??
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Feb 21, 2021 at 12:14 PM.
    Aeds151 and FreeBirdTim like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    9740 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc053 View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, Calabash - It's clear I didn't have the background and missed the original theme of the video. And I'm sorry if you felt that you had to share your background in response to my post - that certainly wasn't my intent.
    I have a friend here in my town who started metal detecting last year because he was reading about my local finds and wanted to join in. I taught him what I could (I'm no expert) and he really took to the hobby. During one of our outings in the fall he admitted to me that he was a recovering addict, and something like metal detecting was good for him because he could focus his tendency to have "addictions" on improving his skills and on getting outdoors to hunt for targets. He probably ended up spending more time in the field in 2020 than I did - and it seems like he's happier for it, although I can tell that he gets annoyed if I find something good - and I'm not sure what to do about that. I don't want to drive his addiction to become worse... But I think I'm just supposed to live my life, and he's got to live his...? Sorry, I've taken a left turn away from the original post with this response.

Anyway, Calabash with better understanding of your situation I understand your post and I think it's totally OK for you, me and others to take it seriously. But my definition of "serious" and yours is likely different - and that's OK. And it's probably also OK for others who can't/don't want to take it seriously to do it their way. That old saying about horses and drinking water is probably applicable here.
    Keep on finding the good stuff he has got to learn to deal with life! ..I think your correct about the horse and water..

Jan 2020
    94 times
    [QUOTE=calabash digger;6695767]
    Really? It sure goes a long way in my book. I've found a lot more good stuff with my AT Pro because my Ace 250 couldn't weed out the trash as well as my AT Pro. Can't find the good stuff if you're constantly wasting your time digging bottle caps and other bits of trash. Also, I've found a lot of great coins and relics in trashy and iron infested areas with my AT Pro that I would have missed with the Ace 250.[/QUO

What if you had stumbled on to ten gold coins with the Ace 250.... What then?? Is it better than the AT PRO??
    Dont let it suck you in CD. At work, we call them a Morale Vampire. In my line of work, they can get people killed on the fireline and do. The negative energy will drain you and can change the way you operate. I got pulled in for a minute but had to resort back to my training and experience.

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5476 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    You're right in that regard. One great find doesn't prove anything. I was referring to long term detecting. I did find one colonial shoe buckle with my Ace 250, but have found 8 with my AT Pro. In the long term, the AT Pro will outperform most other detectors in their price range (or below their price range).

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5476 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Dont let it suck you in CD. At work, we call them a Morale Vampire. In my line of work, they can get people killed on the fireline and do. The negative energy will drain you and can change the way you operate. I got pulled in for a minute but had to resort back to my training and experience.
    I have a right to state my opinion here. Calabash has been very polite replying to all the posts and I respect him for that. But you keep trying to start something over nothing. Let it go.
    pepperj and Treasure_Hunter like this.

us
    Apr 2014
    NJ
    Whites Spectra V3i, Whites MX5, Whites BH 300, Whites MX Sport, Tek Europro, Tesoro Compadre, Makro Multi Kruzer .......... No longer own....... Etrac, CTX3030, G2, Fisher F4 Tesoro Bandido
    326 times

I don't always agree with your opinions, but I do admire your passion and I think you are genuinely trying to help others.

I think you should be commended for that, but more importantly - you should be commended for overcoming the obstacles in your life.

Thanks for sharing a bit of your back story; it helps me understand where you're coming from. I'll still disagree with you at times, but that won't prohibit me from watching your videos, or from thinking you're a good guy who's a bit brash at times.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel
    34089 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I see the point of detecting is to have fun. I do not detect for "treasure", meaning things worth a lot of money. I like the history. Part of the "fun" equation for me is not having a machine that will hurt to use. With age, different things (like severe arthritis) creep in that can squish the "fun" part of detecting-fast. When I'm in Culpeper I wished I would have had one of those big PI machines but a friend of mine had one and let me use it and I couldn't hardly pick it up. So I was done with that idea. Even the White's TDI was too heavy and unbalanced for me. So I sold the one I had.

The Equinox I had was nose heavy and wobbly and was unacceptable as a machine in that price range because it hurt me to use it! So it had to go. The AT Pro was also too heavy, getting old stinks. It got sold. I have settled on the Deus and Tesoros for weight and ease of use. I figure by the end of this year some new stuff will be available that is light and easie(r) to use than the earlier models, but until then, I don't need another new machine and until one of mine breaks, it really won't matter to me what comes out and what is better because to me its about the fun. And using a machine that hurts me to use it takes the fun out of the hobby and I might as well stay home.

I still have a lot of nice sites that are producing. I can only go maybe 2 hours or so anymore. I used to go 6 or more and sometimes three days in a row. Not anymore, now its once every 5 days if I'm lucky. Two years ago I flew to SC to dig in the low country with others a couple times. I sincerely doubt that will happen again.

And to top it all off, in the last couple years I have taken some people to my best sites, after all I'm not wasting my time going to hunted out places. I hardly take anyone anymore because the return invite to their sites never came. So they are done coming with me. So I just go out for an hour or two and try to have some fun, and that's about it.

If you have a machine you like and you find stuff with it, you're good. If it breaks, then maybe an upgrade would be a good idea. What I have found through time is buying a more expensive machine may not necessarily find you more good keepers, and as we've all said, the stuff has to be in the ground to being with. I still would want to "test drive" a machine and there is a dealer about 4 hours from here I would drive to by appointment to see a possible new toy. But not until mine break permanently. And when I get to that dealer we WILL go outside and test it over real dirt.
    Blak bart, pepperj, Woodsy and 1 others like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    9740 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    You're right in that regard. One great find doesn't prove anything. I was referring to long term detecting. I did find one colonial shoe buckle with my Ace 250, but have found 8 with my AT Pro. In the long term, the AT Pro will outperform most other detectors in their price range (or below their price range).
    I have a serious question and would be very thankful for a serious answer. How do you know that about the AT PRO? Did you actually TEST the AT PRO against other machines? Are you going off what others have told you? I have tested the AT RPO against other machines but we will talk about that after you respond.. Garrett has the AT PRO listed at 649.95 price...
    Rad1sh likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    36228 times
    I have a right to state my opinion here. Calabash has been very polite replying to all the posts and I respect him for that. But you keep trying to start something over nothing. Let it go.
    Aeds, it is good advice from Tim, you might want to read or reread our rules.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

USAF Intelligence 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

I excercise my right to keep and bear arms 24/7/365

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links