What makes your metal detector good? How to become a good detectorist? Do you care? - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: What makes your metal detector good? How to become a good detectorist? Do you care?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5476 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    How do you know that about the AT PRO? Did you actually TEST the AT PRO against other machines? Are you going off what others have told you? I have tested the AT RPO against other machines but we will talk about that after you respond..
    I am a loner and do not detect with others, but I have done three seeded hunts. At all three, I estimate that found more (and better) coins than 90% of the people there. The 10% who found more used a variety of machines, including AT Pro, Deus and eTrac. But I don't remember any of them using a Nox 600 or 800. Just a small sampling, yes, but it's nice to know that my AT Pro can keep up with the more expensive machines.
    calabash digger likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    XP DEUS,EQUINOX 800, ANFIBIO MULTI, EXCALIBUR
    9740 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Thanks , I can see you think finds determine how good a machine is and that is your right to believe that.... I use a more scientific approach....I test the depth and separation capabilities of each detector over know targets. A more controlled environment.. You might just be a better detectorist than the other guys at the seeded hunt that day?
    FreeBirdTim likes this.

Jas 1:22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

si
    Nov 2017
    Countryside
    DBP2010, eeTH
    267 times
    How to become a good detectorist is rather simple: love your hobby and swing your detector a lot. One may find the pull tab or treasure with Nox 800 or ACE 150, the luck is marching on a different drum.

The beast car is always the one that wins the race.
    Last edited by TheGreenBoy; Feb 22, 2021 at 02:45 PM.
    calabash digger and Blak bart like this.

us
    Sep 2019
    Olympia, Washington
    Nokta Makro Simplex White Coinmaster ( Burghandy) Garret Ace 250 Tracker IV
    172 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBirdTim View Post
    I am a loner and do not detect with others, but I have done three seeded hunts. At all three, I estimate that found more (and better) coins than 90% of the people there. The 10% who found more used a variety of machines, including AT Pro, Deus and eTrac. But I don't remember any of them using a Nox 600 or 800. Just a small sampling, yes, but it's nice to know that my AT Pro can keep up with the more expensive machines.
    Wait?! Are you judging how good a machine is by a seeded hunt?

us
    Sales

Aug 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price donít mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
    928 times
    You no what calabash this society we live in , in my experience is always feel like you have to explain yourself because of people being so defensive. Each one of us has a life story, I to grew up in projects piss poor, never knew my real dad and he lived only 20 miles away and never introduced himself. So what does these mean, I’m like you in my endless job the only enjoyment I get is in helping others, it doesn’t mean I’m always right, I’m not worried about being right, I just like folks to be informed so that they can be open minded to make there on decision. So as far as metal detectors your in my opinions r giving facts on your testing, if companies can’t take criticism and people then they have a choice voice your option or shut up, it’s not about being right it’s about informing people when considering spending a lot of money, I don’t own either a xp deus or minelab but I appreciate your constructive opinions

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel
    34089 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    You don't have to own an XP or Equinox to do very, very, well metal detecting.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    9740 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    You are correct smokey..
    The point of all my test are to show what metal detectors perform the best for what I do...Thats it...

People find stuff all the time with entry to mid level detectors...Metal detecting is a game of odds and I want anything that will increase my chances...

If I did not have the money to do that I would use what I could afford but I am blessed these days and can use what I want.

You will never here me say someone can not do well with a lesser performing detector because they could if they were on the correct site...
    I am hunting behind years of people detecting my area and need an advantage...
    Last edited by calabash digger; Feb 22, 2021 at 07:08 PM.
    smokeythecat and fishstick like this.

us
    Mar 2014
    New Glarus,WI
    CTX,800,Explorer2,IDXPro-M,Compadre
    1069 times
    There are just about infinite variables involved, but what the demonstrations are trying to do is to QUANTIFY the capabilities of any given machine with known targets. If you can’t hit those targets in the garden, you likely won’t hit a very similar target in the wild. That’s about the extent of it, and really all it needs to be. What has ALWAYS burnt my backside is people hunting private permissions with 4” coins and then telling people about how “good” their machine is....this happens with ALL machines. Unless it can be somehow QUANTIFIED, how good a machine is rests solely on what people find with them. I was pretty die hard with my IDXPro for a few years, I thought I was doing pretty damn well! One day, Mr. Explorer came to visit, and slapped me right in the face. In 3 years with the IDX I found 22 silver coins, my main target. In ONE season with the Explorer, I found exactly twice that, 44 silver coins. I hunted the EXACT same places and calculating 3 seasons vs 1 season....I did 6 times as well with the Explorer. Hours hunted were similar, sites did not change at ALL....so I can QUANTIFY with a pretty small margin of error which machine is better at finding deep silver coins! THIS is what I mean when I say,”I judge a machine by my finds”. However, saying a machine is “good” when in reality, ANY machine could have found it....just simply means you were in the right spot at the time. It isn’t “scientifically objective” in any sense of the term.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel
    34089 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Calabash, you are correct. I have both types of sites. Those who no one has been on - ever - and the one has been hammered since the 1960's, the other since the 1970's. Most of my recent finds were from the last two I mentioned. I just bought a Tesoro Tejon, yes, they are out of business, but I have a 1,000 acre site with some very deep targets and no big concentrations of iron, so the Tejon is the ticket because the PI machines are too heavy for me. The analog machines are really good when you don't really need a top notch discriminator. Its the right tool for the right job.

My one "honey hole" no one has permission for, and I don't go all the time as I'm saving some of it for the future.
    Last edited by smokeythecat; Feb 23, 2021 at 08:36 AM.

us
    Sales

Aug 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price donít mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
    928 times
    Heck any test that is pre planted with knowledge of the item and depth isn’t the real situation in the field, that’s why I call air test incomplete. Garden test much better but not really because you no it’s there, in the real world it’s not the same. Heck if we all knew where the goods was any detector would recognize target almost. So my opinion is in a unknown area u don’t no where anything is so you much approach it will a slow and sometimes repetitive way, oh u will most likely miss. Folks it’s not about predetermined stuff it doesn’t work that way

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5476 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Wait?! Are you judging how good a machine is by a seeded hunt?
    Three seeded hunts. Just as good of a judge as planting coins in a garden and then testing detectors with those coins, if not a better judge. Everyone finds a ton of coins in the first 15 minutes of a seeded hunt, so that's not a good indicator. But at my last hunt, I found a peace dollar three hours into the hunt. Why did I find it and others didn't before me? Because it was near a stone wall that had fence wire running along it. I picked up on the peace dollar because I was going slow and know how to use my detector near trashy spots. So some skill was involved, but I'm also giving credit to the AT Pro for picking it out of the trashy spot!

I also found a really worn half dime four hours into the hunt. I'm sure at least 50 people must have gone over the spot, since it was right in the middle of one of the seeded fields. Again, some skill was involved, but I doubt if I would have found it with my old Ace 250. Too small of a target and it was a good six inches deep in dry soil. Maybe I'm downplaying my skill level, but I'm sure a lot of the guys at these hunts have been detecting a lot longer than me. Just my take on the subject...

us
    Bill B

Sep 2010
    Upstate NY
    Excalibur2,,silver sabre
    826 times
    Calabash digger. I have just come across your videos for the first time .It was the xcal/nox depth test in the garden..
    Outstanding comparisons Very well said.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2016
    9740 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by 49er12 View Post
    Heck any test that is pre planted with knowledge of the item and depth isn’t the real situation in the field, that’s why I call air test incomplete. Garden test much better but not really because you no it’s there, in the real world it’s not the same. Heck if we all knew where the goods was any detector would recognize target almost. So my opinion is in a unknown area u don’t no where anything is so you much approach it will a slow and sometimes repetitive way, oh u will most likely miss. Folks it’s not about predetermined stuff it doesn’t work that way
    Ok .... If you have a planted silver dime at 10 inches and (A) detector will hit and give a ID and (B) detector will not touch it. What does this tell you about which detector most likely will be better on super deep silver coins?

When you are trying to test in the wild you are running blind...Why would I even take a detector to the wild that will not hit a 8 inch dime in my garden?

A Test garden is the most valuable time saving learning tool a detectorist can have...Some will disagree and that is OK its their time so they can waste it however they want...

Test garden can show patterns of a detector etc...........
    Blak bart, fishstick and MikeRo like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links