Curious, how many open field hunters vs off the grid hunters

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
I hunt Fields and in the woods most of the time. sometimes I'll go with my uncle to his permissions

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fields and woods mostly. All with permission.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Field/bush-permission
Conservation areas-no permission needed
Crown land-no permission needed
Private land trust-permission

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first few years I hunted a lot of city parks - got a ring collection out of it . The last few years something changed for me - I have very little interest in seeing or speaking to other people . I can't tolerate the " what are you looking for ?" and the "you can't do that here !" The forests have become my go to place - no drama, no nonsense,
Less modern garbage , and a beautiful environment to enjoy .

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the peaceful Woodses .

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in the fields, woods, and freshwater most of the time. When I feel like digging clad for the fun of it I hit the various local sports fields/parks/ and schools. So yeah, all of it! Mainly depends on how good I am at getting permissions that week.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I split my detecting about 50/50 between what you'd call open field (parks & in-town old house properties) and off-the-grid (woods and other places away from people), and I do this on purpose. Where I am in NJ the woods are hit-and-miss (mostly miss for me in 2020). There are old homesites with old stone walls, but I haven't pulled anything good out of any of those sites yet (other than a few early 1800's buttons). After a day of hunting in those woods type locations without much success, I love to go to a known park where I know I can hear good solid coin signals (even clad will do), and I use those in-town locations to remind myself that I know how to find coins.

I might adjust the location definitions to:
- in-town (local parks and homesites)
- farms and isolated private property (always with permission of course)
- city/county/state lands, typically woods (I even get permission from my town for the local open spaces)

Exhuminator

Jan 13, 2021
Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
90% of my searching this year has been in woods and fields. Just yesterday I was searching in this mess (that's my dog). Barely touched any parks or dirt parking lots, and I don't have access to beaches. I tend to want to find truly old things, and modern public parks don't typically offer that. But if you want clad, yeah knock yourself out.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on how much time I have, if I only have an hour or so I'll hit any of a number of schools or ball fields. Though I do love to find good stuff detecting is a more of a mental vacation so if I dig clad fine, if I dig relics awesome just as long as I am swinging and moving.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally, not much woods around my area, the few I have tried were very difficult swinging for obvious reasons, few areas that were relatively clear seem to be gathering spots for partiers and are loaded with bottle caps, add to that mosquitoes and other blood sucking pests, I'll pass on hunting in woods.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF I see it... I will detect it... IF allowed to do so.

I started as a kid with sidewalk grass and sand parking meter bases... made nice candy and KISS Rock magazine money... you'd be surprised how much change is lost around them.

after that everything else was a luxury.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in the sticks so I have farm fields. Some woods but I like the fields. Easy digging and no worry about filling in holes or killing someone's grass with a dry plug. The problem with fields around here is there are few coins, which is really what I'm after. Gary

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...I prefer to be in the woods, fields and deserts, but more and more the area around here has/is becoming private property, and truthfully, I cannot hike and climb as I used to, and so...most hunting, not all yet, but most hunting is done in parks and schools. The parks? Just hoping for something unusual or a ring or something, just need to get out and swing a coil. Although, as many of you know, when doing parks, I really would rather not be around people because of the, "Find anything good?, find my gold ring yet?, what's the best thing you ever found, what's the most valuable thing you have ever found, how much do one of those things cost? I've been thinking of getting one of those, does it find gold? I had one a long time ago, but somebody stole it. Even had a couple of people toss a nickel or something in front of me to see if I'd detect it and then dive for it I guess. Just got to love the hobby. Do they not see that I'm doing something before they walk up and ask these questions? Even to the point to where one guy told me what he planned on having for lunch, no joke. Now, on rare occasion there have been a few who stand back and wait until I take notice and ask if they can ask a few questions, and it IS about detecting, well, I will talk to and give them any and as much information as I can, because you can tell that they really are interested. I'm just ranting here, sorry 49er12, mostly parks, would rather otherwise but....

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mostly Farm fields where old homesteads and school houses sat.
Yard permissions
Wooded areas
Public Parks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread