General Question for Ebay Sellers?

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you sell an item for $300 - ebay takes $30 dollars and I can see that in the listed fee's.

However.. what happens to the amount you charge for Shipping. If you charge $10 dollars for shipping for example why is that not added to the total and credited to your paypal account.

I just sold something and charged a shipping fee, then went and mailed the item and discovered that the shipping fee was never put in my paypal account.

Ebay and paypal fees are pretty steep - worse yet if you lose the shipping amount you charged...

Thanks

eman

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Net vs gross is taking a hit.
Certainly a learning curve and one has to really consider everything you mentioned.

OP
OP
E

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nevermind I answered my own question. It was the Paypal fee and the Tax that Ebay charges!

Wow so for a $300 dollar item it could in theory cost you $30 dollars in fee's, Taxes $24, another $10 in paypal fees and you still have your shipping cost - Good Grief

How does anyone make money on this site?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nevermind I answered my own question. It was the Paypal fee and the Tax that Ebay charges!

Wow so for a $300 dollar item it could in theory cost you $30 dollars in fee's, Taxes $24, another $10 in paypal fees and you still have your shipping cost - Good Grief

How does anyone make money on this site?

Nevermind? Oh you have opened my eyes up for sure-thanks.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I officially quit ebay today. Apart from the fees, the shipping costs, and the managed payments, I couldn't take it anymore. I'm setting up an eCrater account right now. I'll have to see how that goes.

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the buyer pays the taxes and the shipping.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
E

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, everyone is correct the buyer pays the taxes. I was wrong - I underestimated Ebay + Paypal fees and the cost to ship USPS these days.
I charged a flat fee on shipping just not near enough - lost about $30 dollars on that one. O well live and learn :)

Armstrong

Apr 24, 2020
Jurassic Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have to factor in shipping to your final cost. I always weigh an item before listing and offer free shipping but have it factored into the price. The usps rates went up a lot the last few years, thats why the cut you get is much less.

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The eBay fees are going up to 12.5% for most sellers. I got the notice of the change a few days ago, it depends on whether you have an eBay store and the category of the item. Bottom line....fees are increased for most sellers....which are also bad for buyers. I resell vintage auto parts as a hobby, I’m not getting rich but it funds my hobbies like MD’ing, fishing and shop tools. If your an honest seller you can still have fun and make a few bucks if you don’t mind working within the rules. It’s not for everyone.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use calculated shipping next time when you list an item. You just put in the weight and the size of the package. Easy to do and it will save a lot of headaches. There's a huge price difference between shipping the package 50 miles or 3,000 miles. USPS rates have gone sky high, while their service has gone down the toilet.

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because ebay I'd such a saturated market, value if items is low compared to at its conception. I think between that reality and the fees, gone are the days many people made a living off of it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread