I am frustrated! What to do?

jon1996

Nov 13, 2007
Hello to all!, I had posted that I bought a BH Pioneer 202 I have used it about 12 Times all in different locations, And I have found only Pop Cans and Junk, I can not pinpoint with it, it never tells me the same thing, I am very frustrated with it!

Should I sell it on Ebay and buy a garret Ace 250? Will I be more productive with the garrett? It has a pinpointer on it right? But is this my best route before I say I call it quits,

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I hate to endorse one detector over another,but I have worked with the BH202 and found it to be a very productive machine.
I dont know the type of area you are detecting, but its really a good idea to make a coin garden and practice that first . A coin garden will also let you learn exactly where the pinpoint is.There are distinct tones on the BH that once you learn,you will be able to recognize without even looking at the display.

If you are detecting in a woods or field ,use the all metal mode so you dont miss anything in the way of relics. If you are in a trashy area, then take it out of iron mode and listen for that distinct silver tone. Now sometimes when there are aluminum or rusty cans ,it will give off the silver sound...but if you lift your detector up a few inches and you lose the beep, then its more than likely a can.
If you tape three nickels together, you will get the sound of platinum and if you have a signal that bounces real fast back and forth , then thats usually gold.
You could sell your machine, but unless you plan on learning the ins and outs of your next detector then its not going to matter.
The trick is to go slooooooow. I cant stress this enough. You will get bleeps and false readings from swinging to fast and too high off the ground.
I am not an expert by far and there are a lot more qualified folks here at Tnet to help you rather than I , but I hoped some of this helped.

windrun

Oct 30, 2007
Eudora, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50
Yeah, you are not alone, who frustrated it - there are a lot of people do same things. I see so many post on this website about which detector is best?, what price is range best?, which detector is best for the beach? etc.....Same happened thing to me a month ago! Somebody recommend Ace 250 or X-terra 30 or other models.....it really hard decision for me, because I don't see real detector and test it by myself....I got an idea, check the website and see who is dealership near my local area, so I went up there and the nice dealer showed me so many different detector, many questions/answers and give me many different detector for test on their outside site. I spend more than an hour and I decided to choose X-terra 50, which is best fit for me. As you see, somebody say Ace 250, then what if I brought it from ebay or others, then I try that, what if I don't like it...waste of my time!

I would recommend for you to visit your close dealership and check all different kind of detector on the display, then I am sure that they can allow you to test it on the site and see how you like, then you buy it.

Same thing, many people say the Ford car is best or BMW is best car, so, will you go out to the dealership and buy the car what people recommend that.....I rather not to, I rather go to different dealership and test the drive the new car to see if I like it, then I buy it...

Richard

999slvrfx

Nov 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/sunray probe,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't make any difference what brand detector you start out with if
you don't take time to learn it and its ins and outs and what it will do.
Go slow and dig everything. Everybody digs their share of trash before the treasure.

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
Don't give up. I bought the explorer 2 and nearly pulled my hair out. It took me about a year and plenty of reading. Then one day it just clicked and I started making good finds. I have owned alot of different detectors. They all have learning curves. When you think you've got it down BOOM you learn something else. Your going to dig alot of trash thats part of it. It's kinda like a sport the more determined and persistent you are, the better you'll get and I promise you won't regret it.

pizzaman55792

Jun 16, 2006
Northern Minnesota
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer 202, ace 250
i own the ace and the 202 and love both of them. i bought the ace about a yer and a half after the 202 just for the pinpoint mode. pin point made digging in the grassy areas a little faster. I would recomend that you try practicing in the totlots there are usualy alot of targets and easy digging so you can really understand the tones and practice the x pinpoint technique. also something that i found is a little toy national geographic metal detector that i use as a pinpointer, it goes about 3 inches and realy helps narrow down shallow targets. I would really recomend you try that bounty hunter and really get to know it before you move on to any thing else. i am no expert by any means but if you have any questions feel free to pm me and i can try my best to help

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
I for one understand your frustration. I have had about 4 metal detectors the last one I really got annoyed with.

I put it away for 2 weeks and then got it back out before selling it just to make sure it was working took my time over the next couple of days and learnt and found a lot the difference I got to know my machine and its quirks.

I then wrote a honest review for it and placed it on eBay and made £15.00 on top of what I had paid.

Funny thing is looking back I almost wish I had kept it now.

My suggestion to you would be to take a little more time learning your machine and see if you can find any other owners to discuss the issues of that particular machine.

Mercury dude

Mar 8, 2007
Ceres
Detector(s) used
Stold by my x bounty hunter IV & Fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heck don't give up yet I have a tracker IV, and yes I had to learn from the sounds that it made to see what kind of thing it was or coin, I found stuff with mine, just remember don't give up yet

jc

jon1996 said:
Hello to all!, I had posted that I bought a BH Pioneer 202 I have used it about 12 Times all in different locations, And I have found only Pop Cans and Junk, I can not pinpoint with it, it never tells me the same thing, I am very frustrated with it!

Should I sell it on Ebay and buy a garret Ace 250? Will I be more productive with the garrett? It has a pinpointer on it right? But is this my best route before I say I call it quits,

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
DO NOT GIVE UP!

Well, you may not like reading, but read, read, and read the manual.

Other than that, you probably bought your detector for fun. Take the time to play with it. Then one day soon, you'll pull a ring out of the ground instead of a pulltab, a buckle instead of a popcan, and silver instead of clad, and on and on and on....

By the way, some of that trash is recyclable. A pop can is probably worth at least a penny in today's prices!

Good luck!

Cavers5

badboy

Jun 28, 2006
pa
When you are starting out I would suggest to dig every thing that beebs till you know whats going on. I'm at it for 9 years now and still learning. Read books on the subject and go to areas where people hang out. Finding clad money is a good beginning, but dig all your signals and remember what the machine told you before you dig. Its a cruel way to learn but it worked for me. Have fun with it and enjoy this great hobby and the out doors. I metal detect to get away from my refrigerator

R

robert roy

Guess the Ace 250 or the F2 (maybe the F4) would be your best bet and friend.

If you plant a coin garden....keep in mind that the longer the coin is buried and has time to enteract with the soil, the more accurate your depth readings will be. Many people have said they have reburied coins and their detector (depending on the soil and the kind of detector) didn't pick up the coin the scond time. I find that odd, but the reason is probably because because OLD coins that have enteracted with the minerals in the ground will give a immediate and accurate reading.

Winter is the time to be planting your garden. By spring the ground minerals will have enteracted with the metal in your coin and you'll get some accurate readings FOR THAT KIND OF GROUND. Go to another location and you might get a slightly different reading.

Good luck.
RObert R

Mercury dude

Mar 8, 2007
Ceres
Detector(s) used
Stold by my x bounty hunter IV & Fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what does the yellow light mean, slow down, what does the yellow light mean, slowww dddown, WHAT DOES THE YELLOW LIGHT MEAN, SSSLLLOOOWWW DOWN, saw on taxi a few yearss back

jc

Real de Tayopa said:
HOLA JON: As usual, Gypsy luv is correct-------

"The trick is to g

jc

o slooooooow. I cant stress this enough" (especially on your first date)

Don Jose de La Mancha

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
One other thing to consider is that your machine may be damaged or defective. Something to think about.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand the frustations. My present detector is an MXT. I have owned it for almost 2 years. Just this summer, after really working with it, the light suddenly came on! ;) Don't give up the ghost, keep working at it. Good hunting.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Sounds to me like you may need to do some indoor or yard testing before going out into the field. This is the best way to learn any new detector. You have to pass whatever it is you're looking for under the coil to see how it sounds and where it sounds as it passes the coil. Do you know exactly where under your coil a target begins to sound? If you don't, then you need to, especially to pin-point. Case in point, your detector more than likely sounds off when the object passes under the inner circle. An ACE 250 will sound off as an object passes under the outer and opposite to swing direction edge of the coil. Instead of going out to the field and finding yourself in fustration, you should sit down in the comfort of your home or backyard and begin to try to see how your detector behaves. Have you tried placing a piece of cardboard over a coin and then trying to pin-point it? Have you fine tuned your disc knob/settings to know exactly where they need to be to get those caps and trash away? Hint: If you're finding lots of caps, you may have your disc set at a level for zinc pennies. Turn it up until you're only picking up the older pennies, wheats, etc. The point here is, don't go out into the field, especially during these cold months if you have not already become familiar and experimented with your detector. I had two detectors before the one that I use now, and the first thing I did before even thinking of taking it out was get familiar with where and how things sounded when passed under the coil.

B

BIG61AL

Practice and be paient. Buy a hand held pin pointer. Even a $1000 detecter will get you only so close to pin pointing a target. I was the same way when I was new. Holes 8 inches across for a penny one inch down. I am only in my second year and have found over 2764 coins in 2007. Keep trying.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions