Not uncommon to find v nickels in area, how about your areas

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have actually found quite a few. here is a photo of all the shields and v nicks I found on one site. i have a few more from other sites somewhere too.

Attachments

• 20210314_175005_resized_1.jpg
    20210314_175005_resized_1.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 44

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found 31 V nickels in my 25+ years of detecting. Most of my coins come from clay soil and the V's come out of the ground in very poor condition. Ten years ago I found a very rare 1885 that had a readable date right out of the ground. I tried some agressive cleaning and it ruined this rare coin. The outer layer peeled right off after cleaning. It looked like a slug. I learned a valuable lesson and I never try cleaning any coin like that again. Congratulations on your V.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I dug 5 or 6 last year (Chicago area) and they're pretty rough-looking out of our soil. Sometimes they look like "slugs" because of their low relief.
If you check under the "dot" (to the left of the word CENTS) you might have a D or an S mintmark.

Happy Hunting!

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Let me tell you about my V 's. I have only two. Recently I dug a 1900 with no mint mark. The first one was 55 years ago when I was a construction laborer working in the ditch installing water and sewer lines. We had to dig up an old 8 inch water main T. As I cleaned off the T. there right on top of it was a V. Had to have been deliberately left there. Don't remember the date or where in the house it is now, but now I have to go looking for it.

I Found it!! On the Left is the one in the ditch. On the right is the one recently dug
V Nickel.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate your stories, I just today found a1919 Buffalo nickel not easy either but I appreciate your thoughts

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve found about a dozen over the years, every one of them looks like garbage.
Most of them are dateless, which naturally means they gotta be 1885

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice thanks again for always sharing your recoveries with us

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never found one. I have only 2 buffalos. A slick one and a verry clean 1937 I found last week. Thats in 4 years detecting.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My next V nickel will be my first. I did find one shield nickel in a four coin pocket spill.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not counting the one I pulled out of a coin counting machine last year, I have found two, both in 2007. I had been a year of big droughts and I spent a great deal of my time hunting shorelines. I was fortunate to find a stretch on one lake that had many old coins.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are kinda scarce here, but I have dug three in 14yrs, and the 2nd was this key-date coin...!
A 1912-S and I believe something like 280,000 were minted....
1912S obverseVnickel fixed.jpg 1912S reverseVnickel fixed.jpg
1912-S Booty Hunters.JPG

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I dug 5 or 6 last year (Chicago area) and they're pretty rough-looking out of our soil. Sometimes they look like "slugs" because of their low relief.
If you check under the "dot" (to the left of the word CENTS) you might have a D or an S mintmark.

Happy Hunting!

....THEN they would be 1912 coins...the only year with mint mark.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are uncommon for me to dig. So much so, that I have never dug one. I have found numerous Seated, lots and lots of Barbers, and even two silver dollars. I find a lot of Buffalo Nickles, but alas the lowly V-Nickle is still on my bucket list. The area I'm hunting now has a lot of promise, so hopefully I'll be able to cross it off the list this year. Wish me luck!

SWINGER1969

May 11, 2019
Morristown,Minnesota
Detector(s) used
garrett at max, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V nickle.jpg
Here is a 1895 i dug this week at a long gone country school house.
Also pulled a 1875 seated dime from there.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the problems with finding more V-Nickels, etc., is that they fall into that same heap of scrap one typically encounters at places like old parks, etc., so they are typically notched out. I’ve often wondered just how many old nickels and gold rings I’ve missed over the years for exactly this same reason. I’ve found a few in recent years since moving back to Indiana but only because they were isolated targets in fairly clean areas where I was willing to chase those returns. But in these other trash riddled places, no, just can’t justify digging up one of these potential returns every foot or so….:laughing7:

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey good job,

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found 22 of them, and our ground is not kind to them at all. I hunt a lot of farm fields, and they are in even worse condition than finding them in a yard or park.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes certain coin because different years contains different elements in them which is correct bigscoop , those nickels are tricky thankyou

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread