First post. Is it live?: Anti-aircraft shell.

Txbottledigger

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2021
Southern Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi guys! :wave: This is my first post on here. I cometh from the land of Antique-bottles.net and am happy to be on this forum so I can ask questions about metal items I find too. This is kind of a important question but I have a question about a, what I believe to be, a anti-aircraft shell that I dug up. I'm guessing someone brought it back from WW2 because I don't live in Europe, I live in Texas. My question: is it still live. Even though I previously studied the topic of WW2, as well as collected WW2 German militaria for 3 years, I am still not confident that it isn't live and would like to know if it is before I leave it in the house for a extended amount of time to soak in vinegar and salt. Sorry if the photos aren't the greatest. I usually don't take photos on the laptop but I do not have my phone and I would like to start soaking it in vinegar and salt soon. ALSO when I shake it I can hear something in it. That is concerning.
WIN_20210319_11_59_11_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210319_12_00_07_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210319_12_00_40_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210319_12_00_46_Pro.jpg

FALSE ALARM
THIS WAS A PIPE WITH A O-RING ON IT

Last edited:

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
There is no way to tell by looking at your specimen, however it would be prudent to treat it as if it were a live round.
no hunk of rusty metal is worth your fingers.
you may want to look into fulminated mercury, it was used in warheads and becomes extremely sensitive with age, please do not shake that item again

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No point on it, so how is it going to penetrate anything? Plus, it has a rubber gasket around the middle. I'm no expert, but bullets and shells should be smooth to be able to be fired through the barrel of the weapon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread