When is the best time to Metal Detect?

Myth legend

Aug 15, 2016
Lost in space
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Metal Detector, now an At Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, long time no see, though I haven't been super active in the forms, i'm 23, and even though I am a young adult, my mother is still concerned about me metal detecting in certain seasons. I didn't metal detect in the winter, mainly because of the frost and health reasons, I want to metal detect in the Spring, but she says there's Snakes and animals, summer I know animals will be out, and waiting two seasons just to metal detect in the fall is not in my interest.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a 4 Season detectorist. If the ground is still frozen, I'll drive to get out of it. Might be time to man up and tell Mom I'm going anyway. :laughing7:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The best time is when you have access to a solid lead.
Solid meaning you have good reason due to research that the site holds potential greater than other sites. Not your imagination suggesting it's "the" site.
Though if you have no solid lead (and you should always be trying to develop and work a couple) then you're at the mercy of imagination. But go hunt anyways.
Then spend more time at the library or interviewing old folks in your area.

Snakes and animals are very real. So are people.
Your skills with dealing with them all are not going to be developed by avoidance.
No , that does not mean chase snakes and grab them. Or pull a skunks tail. Or slapping thugs in the face.

Your mother being concerned about you is great. Is she in charge of you? If she is , then do as you are told. She might be your caretaker and you need a caretaker.
That does not mean you can't detect.
Encourage her to join you detecting. And in researching potential leads trying to come up with a hunt that is more than "maybe" a good site.

Spring is prime general detecting in my region.
Soil moisture content makes for better recovery plug flap repairs. And better signals. And grass and weeds are down.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As Releventchair stated - the best time is after a rain when the ground is still damp. And unfrozen is also huge help for digging.

Don't know your location so can't help much with specifics. In this part of NY there is no longer a chance you can count on avoiding ticks any time between April and November. They are everywhere - even on mowed lawns. I recommend Sawyer's spray on both pant legs/socks or 100% DEET on skin when wearing shorts.

Snakes and animals are no concern. Except humans. Those you have to keep an eye on, and I keep one ear uncovered when any may be near.

(PS - I'd been married for three years when I was your age and it was my wife [The Admiral] who told me what to do). ;-)

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, long time no see, though I haven't been super active in the forms, i'm 23, and even though I am a young adult, my mother is still concerned about me metal detecting in certain seasons. I didn't metal detect in the winter, mainly because of the frost and health reasons, I want to metal detect in the Spring, but she says there's Snakes and animals, summer I know animals will be out, and waiting two seasons just to metal detect in the fall is not in my interest.

You are 23, Someones gonna have to be a bit blunt here so might as well be me. You can do as you please, you are a grown adult. Now that doesn't mean disrespect your mother, I want to make that perfectly clear. Appease her by getting some snake boots and spray for ticks if need be, maybe even spend some time on looking up some basic skills for being in the woods if you have none. At the end of the day if it is something you want to do that will bring you joy, and that is not affecting another persons rights, DO IT.

Thebigd81

Oct 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are 23, Someones gonna have to be a bit blunt here so might as well be me. You can do as you please, you are a grown adult. Now that doesn't mean disrespect your mother, I want to make that perfectly clear. Appease her by getting some snake boots and spray for ticks if need be, maybe even spend some time on looking up some basic skills for being in the woods if you have none. At the end of the day if it is something you want to do that will bring you joy, and that is not affecting another persons rights, DO IT.

Someone beat me to it. If you are 23 it's time to venture out of the nest and do something you want to do. Not meant to be mean but your Mom sounds like Mama Boucher from Waterboy. With her type of negative thinking it does no good for anyone. Go out there and enjoy detecting all year long especially in the spring. I love being out doing spring detecting seeing wildlife here and there

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best time to hunt is on a warm sunny day when the wind is not blowing too hard. (But isn't that the best time to do about anything outdoors). My advice is listen to your Mother if she is concerned about your health problems and she is your caretaker.

I would hunt a local parks / playgrounds to get used to your machine and avoid the real dangerous wild-life. Hunting playgrounds is one of the easiest ways to get started. Your yard may not be a bad place either. I still find stuff in my yard from time to time after 10 years and many machines.

My oldest Son is 16 and has Autism he can't do a lot of the things other young men his age can do and I watch him like a hawk and probably will be for the rest of his life.
So your Mom might have a good reason to be concerned.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bring home the skankiest girl you can find, she'll beg you to go MD'ing.

Best game plan! That's called "the lesser of two evils"! Mom will never harass you about metal detecting again!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detect year round, unless the ground is frozen. If there are excuses for not detecting in a certain season, then you will never get out (health issues excluded from this statement).

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I came out of the water one day stung all over by jellyfish, Told my wife I was stung all over by jellyfish. First words out of her mouth, "Did you find anything?" No, I'm stung all over by jellyfish! She called me a big baby and told me to get back in there until I found something . The lesson is according to my wife, there is no bad time.

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detect year around, weather permitting, but my favorite time is spring and fall. No mosquitos here in northeast Ohio and cooler temps. I have made some of my best finds in early spring. During a bad winter the ground freezes up to two feet deep. I believe this freezing cycle pushes deeper coins to within reach of my detector. It might only lift the coins an inch or so, but that might just put them within reach of my detector. I have no scientific evidence to prove this, but my finds seem much better during this time.

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I like to detect mornings at the beach here in Florida, so not sure that will help your situation much but, get out and do it as much as you can, use a level head, always know your surroundings, follow the laws (and your mother) and practice perfect MD etiquette. hope that helps! cheers!

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Find a Metal Detecting Friend Visit a Local Metal Detecting Club I use both options but then I don't take them to my Best Beach Detecting Spot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread