Hobby stores, what happened to them. - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: Hobby stores, what happened to them.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2020
    Dumas,AR
    297 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Not only Hobby shops but even Statewide newspapers no longer available except as online versions.I don,t know about you but a damn Ipad ain,t the same as a newspaper in your hand.And you can,t use the Ipad to clean fish on neither!Same goes for Kindles for me ,I want to read a book gimme a book.

us
    Feb 2010
    20 times
    There was a guy, named Ralph in Manchester, Iowa? He had a metal detecting store. I know it is closed now.

The guy was brilliant and designed the inline probe, coils and headphones that many Minelab, and other brand detectorist still use. I have one on my machine.

I sure miss these shops. Still using the Sun Ray Pro Gold headphones, the Sun Ray X-1 probe and a couple of Sun Ray coils.

He sold the business to an entity out on the upper East Coast? I haven't dealt with them for any purchases. They may be great, but everything I bought from Ralph in Iowa is still working awesome.

I miss his business here in Iowa. Headphones, probe and coils are still going strong with heavy use, but not a single complaint. Gotta love the X-1 probe for aiding in going after the correct target!!!!!

Hopefully, long live the shops!

Charter Member
    us
    Sales

Aug 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price donít mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
    1043 times
    Everything went to hell, they say due to internet. Folks human interaction to me shaking a hand giving a hug is human element fake and phoney social media is for those that don’t no how to conversation with humans. Thankyou Facebook and others you ruined a generations. No wonder people walk around with there head down instead of looking up at real people they like reality garbage , guess what you just lost your soul, and don’t understand it because mom and pop, grandparents you didn’t listen to. Remember when these people are dead it’s to late, shameful

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    4276 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    New Hobby Lobby store coming to my town, won’t have to drive 35 miles anymore.
    Honest Samuel and billb like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    4276 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony in SC View Post
    Losing Radio Shack was a big loss for me!
    I recently got back into CB radio. Best Buy, WM, none of the local stores carry even a common coax connector. Has to go to Amazon for everything.

Charter Member
    us
    Sales

Aug 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price donít mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
    1043 times
    Dam fellas we all can’t live in Florida or can we, lol

Jun 2007
    15731 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
    New Hobby Lobby store coming to my town, won’t have to drive 35 miles anymore.
    NOT what you think it is...

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    4276 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel - KGC View Post
    NOT what you think it is...
    I believe it’s full of foo-foo crafts. I don’t shop it but my wife says it’s amazing.

Apr 2017
    Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2 Nokta pinpointer
    2098 times
    Hobby King killed RC back a decade or 15 years ago...killed the local RC shops....Now hobby King is crappy....

chub
    ArfieBoy, Rebel - KGC and billb like this.

May 2003
    Santa Marta de Magdalena,Colombia
    85 times
    "Even the old reliable magazines are gone terrible"

Ha ha.You mean the Ones we used to hide under our Mattresses when we were 13..
    stoneshirt
    ArfieBoy and billb like this.

us
    "Call me ArfieBoy"

Aug 2011
    N.E. Oregon
    Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
    2162 times
    Maybe my town is really backward with only 14,000 population, but we have a fairly large hobby store here in town and the owner seems to be doing a booming business. He has sections for many different hobbies like model planes and cars, electric railroads, race cars, crafts... about anything you can think of. Also saw some metal detectors in a small chain variety store in town recently. I know there are a lot of metal detector users around the area but we have never had a detector store in town.
    Honest Samuel and billb like this.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    4823 times
    Lone gone are treasure magazines.

Jun 2007
    15731 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Samuel View Post
    Lone gone are treasure magazines.
    And TREASURES!
    Honest Samuel likes this.

us
    Mar 2015
    Whites Coin Master, Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport High banker/dredge, DIY hand trommel, DIY Miller table, DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice, Keene A-52 A-52s 2186 Wheaties
    2706 times
    prospecting, metal detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
    I recently got back into CB radio. Best Buy, WM, none of the local stores carry even a common coax connector. Has to go to Amazon for everything.
    CB raido still going? Use to be into that in the 70's. KPQ6719. Had a Lafayette HB115A with a 5 element beam. Started to get too many foul mouths. I was gone!
    Honest Samuel and Rebel - KGC like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    4276 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by No gold in NY View Post
    CB raido still going? Use to be into that in the 70's. KPQ6719. Had a Lafayette HB115A with a 5 element beam. Started to get too many foul mouths. I was gone!
    KAXU3822 here. I put up a set of beams on my parents roof when I was 14 about 1976. I just bought a nice digital President McKinley SSB with scanner, power supply and swr meter. Built my own dipole for about $15 and saved over $100 on a commercial antenna. I’m getting out about 20 miles on 2 pieces of speaker wire. There’s 4 or 5 guys on channel 20 every nite, and other random traffic but not much on the trucker channel and I’m 3 miles from the highway.

Can’t hear much at all until you get your aerials up about 30 feet. Thought about getting into ham but it’s just too damn proper for my likes.
    Honest Samuel likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links