Hobby stores, what happened to them.

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee folks I’m serious we sure can use one, look I understand just a metal detecting store by itself won’t pay the rent if your in the local plaza, but maybe combined with something else. I’m just saying sporting goods stores offer sports equipment as such but not metal detecting equipment. Anyhow what’s your opinion location the need, area to depressed I don’t understand, thankyou

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I can tell you what happened to most of the Hobby stores. Cell phones and computers, and the Internet. Those are the hobbies of the upcoming generation. When I was a youngster, we had hobby stores in our area. We would ride our bikes to them, pick out models to build, gas model planes and cars to run, Whitman coin books for our coins etc. Kids these days just don't do those things, and most adults are past that point also. We do have our detecting hobby, and we also have our dedicated dealers to purchase from. Its just that a lot of them are not local for most of us. Big Box stores have put the little guy out of business. Its all about shopping online.

NJearthman

Oct 31, 2020
Central Jersey THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, EQUINOX 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I can tell you what happened to most of the Hobby stores. Cell phones and computers, and the Internet. Those are the hobbies of the upcoming generation. When I was a youngster, we had hobby stores in our area. We would ride our bikes to them, pick out models to build, gas model planes and cars to , Whitman coin books for our coins etc. Kids these days just don't do those things, and most adults are past that point also. We do have our detecting hobby, and we also have our dedicated dealers to purchase from. Its just that a lot of them are not local for most of us. Big Box stores have put the little guy out of business. Its all about shopping online.

EXACTLY! Remember when cell phones were used to call people? Worst things ever invented. People just walking along, heads down staring at that stupid phone, oblivious to the world. Or just sitting there head down staring at the blasted phone. Sometimes I just want to grab them out of a persons hand and slam it on the ground. As bad as the NERDS sitting in Starbucks with their laptops open sipping their Chai Latte. UGH!!!! Thanks I feel better now. :BangHead:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On line shopping did em in :(

onadraw

Sep 28, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excalibur II, Tesoro Lobo ST, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too many people would browse at the hobby store and then go home and order from Tower hobbies or other online shops.
Then, when you are trying to do whatever your hobby is, and need something right now, you have nowhere to go.

We should have supported our local hobby shops.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Points well taken, it’s not about different time completely, I’m sick and tired of people walking around like robots, no need to think they are programmed and are becoming a liability to themselves and society. Look things became much worse when cell phones where created, why car crashes, people walking into roads, cars. We should do something this is a problem like it or not. Hobbies yes it’s a lost created fashion of sorts, it’s all about fake and phoney social media friends, yeah these are people they don’t no and call friends. You give me one good friend and you can have your 10 Facebook friends what a joke

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not just the Hobby stores, it's all the Mom & Pop places we grew up with. Big Box, internet, and cell phones all contributed to their demise. Besides the Hobby stores, The worst one for me was our local bookstore/newsstand closing because of Barnes & Noble.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even the old reliable magazines are gone terrible

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
49er, if you take a vacation to Orlando, take a trip to nearby Kellyco.
It’ll change your life.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How’s Kellyco survive

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How’s Kellyco survive

Lots of online sales, lots of walk-ins in sunny FLA would be my guess.
I actually have a MD shop around me, Serious Detectors, but no walk-ins due to the chinese virus [as of a month ago].

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is true. They are relics of our past. This is the most depressing thread ever. We had a hobby store near were i live and i used to love looking at the model trains. They had big detailed scenes all set up complete with running trains. I am Sad Keanu's shadow.

SadKeanu.jpg

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not only Hobby shops but even Statewide newspapers no longer available except as online versions.I don,t know about you but a damn Ipad ain,t the same as a newspaper in your hand.And you can,t use the Ipad to clean fish on neither!Same goes for Kindles for me ,I want to read a book gimme a book.

lookin4coins

Feb 27, 2010
There was a guy, named Ralph in Manchester, Iowa? He had a metal detecting store. I know it is closed now.

The guy was brilliant and designed the inline probe, coils and headphones that many Minelab, and other brand detectorist still use. I have one on my machine.

I sure miss these shops. Still using the Sun Ray Pro Gold headphones, the Sun Ray X-1 probe and a couple of Sun Ray coils.

He sold the business to an entity out on the upper East Coast? I haven't dealt with them for any purchases. They may be great, but everything I bought from Ralph in Iowa is still working awesome.

I miss his business here in Iowa. Headphones, probe and coils are still going strong with heavy use, but not a single complaint. Gotta love the X-1 probe for aiding in going after the correct target!!!!!

Hopefully, long live the shops!

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything went to hell, they say due to internet. Folks human interaction to me shaking a hand giving a hug is human element fake and phoney social media is for those that don’t no how to conversation with humans. Thankyou Facebook and others you ruined a generations. No wonder people walk around with there head down instead of looking up at real people they like reality garbage , guess what you just lost your soul, and don’t understand it because mom and pop, grandparents you didn’t listen to. Remember when these people are dead it’s to late, shameful

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread