Hobby stores, what happened to them.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: Hobby stores, what happened to them.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Historian of the earliest days possible

Aug 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price donít mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
    1055 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Hobby stores, what happened to them.

Gee folks Iím serious we sure can use one, look I understand just a metal detecting store by itself wonít pay the rent if your in the local plaza, but maybe combined with something else. Iím just saying sporting goods stores offer sports equipment as such but not metal detecting equipment. Anyhow whatís your opinion location the need, area to depressed I donít understand, thankyou

I think I can tell you what happened to most of the Hobby stores. Cell phones and computers, and the Internet. Those are the hobbies of the upcoming generation. When I was a youngster, we had hobby stores in our area. We would ride our bikes to them, pick out models to build, gas model planes and cars to run, Whitman coin books for our coins etc. Kids these days just don't do those things, and most adults are past that point also. We do have our detecting hobby, and we also have our dedicated dealers to purchase from. Its just that a lot of them are not local for most of us. Big Box stores have put the little guy out of business. Its all about shopping online.

Oct 2020
    Central Jersey THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE
    AT PRO, EQUINOX 600
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Trezurehunter View Post
    I think I can tell you what happened to most of the Hobby stores. Cell phones and computers, and the Internet. Those are the hobbies of the upcoming generation. When I was a youngster, we had hobby stores in our area. We would ride our bikes to them, pick out models to build, gas model planes and cars to , Whitman coin books for our coins etc. Kids these days just don't do those things, and most adults are past that point also. We do have our detecting hobby, and we also have our dedicated dealers to purchase from. Its just that a lot of them are not local for most of us. Big Box stores have put the little guy out of business. Its all about shopping online.
    EXACTLY! Remember when cell phones were used to call people? Worst things ever invented. People just walking along, heads down staring at that stupid phone, oblivious to the world. Or just sitting there head down staring at the blasted phone. Sometimes I just want to grab them out of a persons hand and slam it on the ground. As bad as the NERDS sitting in Starbucks with their laptops open sipping their Chai Latte. UGH!!!! Thanks I feel better now.

RTR
    us
    Roger. USAF Vietnam war Combat Vet

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    19340 times
    On line shopping did em in

us
    Sep 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Sovereign GT, Excalibur II, Tesoro Lobo ST
    37 times
    Too many people would browse at the hobby store and then go home and order from Tower hobbies or other online shops.
    Then, when you are trying to do whatever your hobby is, and need something right now, you have nowhere to go.

We should have supported our local hobby shops.

Charter Member
    us

Aug 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price donít mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
    1055 times
    Points well taken, it’s not about different time completely, I’m sick and tired of people walking around like robots, no need to think they are programmed and are becoming a liability to themselves and society. Look things became much worse when cell phones where created, why car crashes, people walking into roads, cars. We should do something this is a problem like it or not. Hobbies yes it’s a lost created fashion of sorts, it’s all about fake and phoney social media friends, yeah these are people they don’t no and call friends. You give me one good friend and you can have your 10 Facebook friends what a joke

us
    Feb 2013
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
    1418 times
    It's not just the Hobby stores, it's all the Mom & Pop places we grew up with. Big Box, internet, and cell phones all contributed to their demise. Besides the Hobby stores, The worst one for me was our local bookstore/newsstand closing because of Barnes & Noble.

Charter Member
    us

Aug 2013
    Pennsylvania
    1055 times
    Even the old reliable magazines are gone terrible

us
    Feb 2021
    Muhlenberg County, KY
    Garrett Ace Apex, Nokta Makro Simplex+
    11 times
    Metal Detecting
    Amazon happened.

Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson taken ten years ago)
    Minelab Explorer
    16768 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    TH: So true: "Big Box stores have put the little guy out of business. Its all about shopping online."
    Don...

us
    Sorry Honey, I canít. Iíve got plans with my metal detector.

Nov 2013
    Mountain Maryland
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Max
    15955 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    49er, if you take a vacation to Orlando, take a trip to nearby Kellyco.
    It’ll change your life.
    EVERY COIN, SILVERS, AND TOKENS FOUND IN FLORIDA I SOLD...STARTING FRESH IN MARYLAND

Charter Member
    us

Aug 2013
    Pennsylvania
    1055 times
    How’s Kellyco survive

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2005
    MI USA
    Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
    4118 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by 49er12 View Post
    How’s Kellyco survive
    Lots of online sales, lots of walk-ins in sunny FLA would be my guess.
    I actually have a MD shop around me, Serious Detectors, but no walk-ins due to the chinese virus [as of a month ago].

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2006
    Upstate South Carolina
    Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
    4823 times
    Losing Radio Shack was a big loss for me!
    We are in a hobby that is supported by losers!!

us
    TunaTonker

Nov 2016
    Whites, Garrett, Minelab
    2673 times
    This thread is true. They are relics of our past. This is the most depressing thread ever. We had a hobby store near were i live and i used to love looking at the model trains. They had big detailed scenes all set up complete with running trains. I am Sad Keanu's shadow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SadKeanu.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	1912585
    Resident De-Bunker. I'm blunt because I don't have time to indulge your fantasies. Treasure is found down here on Earth, not on Google Earth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links