Bigfoot anyone encounter the creature when detecting

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look ufos, aliens hey could be. Really when you where in the deep woods far away from folks did you ever see Bigfoot. Crazy stuff happens that’s why a don’t like wearing headphones think about it.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Look ufos, aliens hey could be. Really when you where in the deep woods far away from folks did you ever see Bigfoot. Crazy stuff happens that’s why a don’t like wearing headphones think about it.

Gidday amigo

I have never had a problem while detecting especially when in the zone concentrating.

But do I have strange yarn to tell. ( my apologies in advance as I have told this yarn before.) I do not know what for sure just a strange experience in the bush down under.

Grab a beer and pull up a seat around the campfire I have a yarn for ya.

I spent a life time camping out in wild and places all over the globe. Perhaps that is why my back is f....er ya know what I going to say. :laughing7: too many years sleeping on the ground. And I swear tree roots find me.:laughing7:

I had a strange encounter in the coastal ranges in N.S.W in Australia the 1980's. To you guys it may be been what you call a "bigfoot" or "Sasquatch" among other names. The Aboriginal tribes have several . The most popular name is "Yowie" or "Yahoo" in aboriginal Eloura tongue or in native Koori. But they all mean the same thing "wild hairy man" It was one of the predominate legends of aboriginal "dream time" One of the first stories the settlers heard of from the natives. That these creatures live in remote locations in the primeval forests of the mountains. The natives was terrified of them.

Getting back to the yarn amigos. Growing up in 60's I had camped at the location many a times with my family used to go there to sift through alluvial gravels for sapphires, zircons, diamond and rubies. All was low quality but occasionally some one would find some thing of value. For the most part for families would go there to sift for gemstones. Came and dig holes tracing the original gravel of the old river bed. Being a kid it was like being a pig in s*** An awesome time amigos. But the powers to be did not like families having fun. They banned it make the place into a national park banned just about everything and blocked off all the roads.

So there it was now in 80's I took a mate camping there for a weekend to drink beer, sit in small river and sift for gemstones. And later have swim in a pool of a small waterfall a almost forgotten and unknown location to many. Sadly today with snap chat, twitter these places are now flooded with idiots.

The water fall is another waterhole about the size of an Olympic swimming pool. Its was an excellent place to swim. The waterhole was quite deep but if ya could reach the bottom and scrape the sand and gravels many gemstone could be found filtering down the creek into this deep waterhole below.

And the old alluvial workings are along the creek that feeds into it. Many a childhood memories ratting through banks looking for gemstones. To the left was the camp ground virtually overgrown. There was no one else around.

On the left was the alluvial workings. Now totally overgrown. Well it was in the old camping ground we set camp we had to bush bash to get to, setting up tents, making a campfire and park our old FWD. Well had quite a few brews amigo until the firewood ran out and fire did down. We had run out BS stories to tell each other we finally crashed. It was later about 2 am, Some thing strange happened?

I could hear my mate snoring in his tent....But the light went on inside the old FWD and just before that you could hear the sound of some one lifting the door handle up. I had a firearm in the tent with me. But being snuggled up in the sleeping bag , you know like the Egyptian mummy type is not easy to get out of with out making noise. But the time I had wrestled with the sorry ass sleeping bag to get my sorry ass out the tent. Whatever had made the noise and opened the door of FWD had fled. The strange thing was it was not the sound of some body running? It was a romping sound like some things was making huge leaps and bounds through the dark bush crashing into trees and snapping saplings in its path.

My mate awoke and also heard what ever it was crashing through the bush in the distance. Now we know the sounds of native animals and we tried to think perhaps a kangaroo, deer, wombat? Or some hermit living in the bush trying to steal out of the FWD?

The strange this is amigo no animals I know of at least can open a vehicle door? So in the end we returned to sleep somewhat baffled. The next day was Sunday and when we was packing up in afternoon we came across foot prints in the sand and gravel near the Fwd. My mate Phil has big feet, In fact all our other mates had a nickname for him "Slabs" Because of exceptionally big feet. He placed his foot near the foot print and his foot looked like child's foot.

Whatever we disturbed that night was big and agile enough leap and bound through thick dense bush?

We could never come to any conclusion what it was? That was only time in hundreds of times I have ever experienced anything like this camping out in the mountains.

Brew Amigos

Crow

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not me, the biggest "foot" print I ever encountered was a Mountain Lion. I did decide it was time to get a little closer to my truck. Come to think of it, I got in the truck and left !

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good Grief, you're scaring me. I hike and detect deep in the woods, alone. Now you tell me Big Foot is out there!! I think my days of being in the woods are done. It's too dangerous out there with Big Foot roaming the wilderness. Big Foot could very well be a people eater.

Thebigd81

Oct 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thankfully no but I do have a "bigfoot" story. 20+ years ago a buddy down the road told me he saw bigfoot while riding his dirtbike in the woods. I called nonsense and he goes on saying he heard something and there were tons of squirrels around and then he saw "bigfoot" and took off on his dirtbike. I was picking on him about it and decided to go with him to where he saw whatever he saw. He's on his dirtbike and I'm on my bike and he stops and points to where he saw it. I get off my bike and wander over to where he said he saw it and I see some footprints and see a bunch of squirrels all over and I'm thinking he might be serious. I had a very weird feeling come over me and look in the distance and saw something big, tall, and brown. I ran out of the woods and we both hightailed it down the hill. No doubt I saw something but have no clue what it was but it definitely wasn't a bear.
Goosebumps from even typing this that was one weird day and I never picked on him for saying he saw "bigfoot" again

Thebigd81

Oct 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also have a ufo story. This was 25ish years back a bunch of the town kids were on the sledding hill holding the "Olympics". A buddy and myself just got back to the top of the hill and lay down because we just wiped each other out and the others are still coming up or riding down the hill. The 2 of us are shooting the breezing looking at the sky and we both saw a very bright light light up the trees at the top of the hill and a disc like object and as quick as it came it took off. I look at my buddy Jason and I go what the #&@* was that and he says no clue but he saw it too. It was so bizarre because it was dark but whatever it was lit up the trees like it was daylight and just vanished. Totally weird!

Last edited:

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not quite Bigfoot. But my father as a young boy, held the same story repeatedly that he had seen 3, 3-4ft tall beings walking in formation down a fence row. As if they were marching. He watched them get to a ditch, one at a time would make one long jump across it, then turn around and face the next one to jump. After that they continues marching thru the woods. ( my dad was rabbit hunting with his 4.10 along the fence row they were marching down just on the other side of some round bales that were lined up along the fence). It scared him and he ran back home. He told his story to the family and they all laughed. His big brother had a date, and took off in the family car to leave. Not even 3 minutes later he came driving wildly back Into the driveway got out white as a sheet and he too had witnessed them run across the road in front of him. It shook him alot harder than my dad. After that. They began back tracking where my dad had seen them. They followed the fence to a break in the trees, and they found 3 plate size depressions in the ground making a triangle about 4 ft apart.this took place in the late 60s. With the closest small community town about a 15 minute drive.

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My own personal bigfoot experience-
2 other friends and I went for a "midnight" 4wheeler ride. There is a really intact and solid barn out in the middle of nowhere deep in the woods. It was a good 1 hour ride in to get there, all trails. We each had a quad. We made it to the barn and were going g to take a break and have a smoke. But as soon as we shut them off, a growl began that mad my blood run cold. It changed its vocals over so many things. It roared like a lion, it sounded like a monkey screaming, it squealed. It made alot of sounds I had never heard. It made what sounded like 2 rocks being grinded together. (I can't describe it any different) although it was coming from its voice. We were pretty much petrified the whole time it went on. It was SOOOO close that none of us could pinpoint a location. Between each different vocal, it would take in a deep breathe. We all heard it breathing in. The moment it stopped we made a record time of getting out of there that night. I was on an LTZ400 suzuki and the other 2 where honda 250 fourtrax. They rode my ass all the way out the woods. We all later came to an agreement that whatever it was had to have been in the top loft. We had pulled up and parked directly under it. To this day I will not venture out un armed. I won't ride alone anymore back that way either. It's been roughly 10 yrs now.

gummerm4n

Mar 26, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One time at night, driving down a dirt road on a ranch near Bryan TX, I saw bigfoot come out from under a cattleguard (went over the road and was kind of like a bridge over a larger ditch) and run into the woods at full speed.

Was about 6 1/2' - 7ft tall, like the size of a basketball player but covered in shaggy grey hair.

Was the craziest thing I have ever seen in my entire life. Not something that I tell people about and have never witnessed any bigfoot sightings since.

Not big foot related but still scary af was one time I was with a group of friends and we saw a large blue orb (softball size) of light shoot up into the sky from about 20 ft in front of us, hovered for a moment then just zipped away-- and we all got ****ing terrified and ran for our lives. This was also in the middle of the night out in the country this time in central tx.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
No squatch while detecting.
Did have an interesting encounter with a strange creature (or rather the perception of it) deer hunting.... A bigfoot would have been a relief in comparison. My opinion.
But that's a tale for around the fire at night...

With headphones , one ear can be kept exposed. Though situational awareness is more paramount than being able to hear.
A bigfoot in the area? Headphones or not I'd not be outrunning one. So if it wanted to confront me it would. Till someone gets molested by one , no sense in fearing them.IF you subscribe to thier existence.
In your area I'd be more concerned with annoying a rattlesnake.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is my mother's encounter, told from my father's stand point, submitted to the BFRO. I'll post the link.
Bigfoot Sightings

Stepsister in Florida used to bring a handgun to check the mail.
Often reported among neighbors was a musky odor. Not skunk. She noted it too on occasion.
Bear were among suspects. With the garbage route suspected as the attraction for whatever creature the neighborhood was wary of.

I got a whiff of billy goat (and have been around billy's enough to recognize them) at a flea market one time. It was plastic type tarp.
Have noted that since as well , if anyone wonders what a billy peeing on itself smells like , a hot cheap tarp smells similar on the right day. It do stink..

jamesf01

Greenie
Apr 12, 2011
PORT ORCHARD WA
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Fisher CZ 6
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in the Pacific Northwest supposed home of Bigfoot. I have hunted all over Washington State In the high mountains wilderness areas ( all the areas Bigfoot suppose to live. Never seen any sign of Big foot. Also google Bigfoot and you should find something on the person who mad up the story and faked the evidence. That being said there is a lot of old Indian folklore about Bigfoot history old sightings of them.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Thankfully no but I do have a "bigfoot" story. 20+ years ago a buddy down the road told me he saw bigfoot while riding his dirtbike in the woods. I called nonsense and he goes on saying he heard something and there were tons of squirrels around and then he saw "bigfoot" and took off on his dirtbike. I was picking on him about it and decided to go with him to where he saw whatever he saw. He's on his dirtbike and I'm on my bike and he stops and points to where he saw it. I get off my bike and wander over to where he said he saw it and I see some footprints and see a bunch of squirrels all over and I'm thinking he might be serious. I had a very weird feeling come over me and look in the distance and saw something big, tall, and brown. I ran out of the woods and we both hightailed it down the hill. No doubt I saw something but have no clue what it was but it definitely wasn't a bear.
Goosebumps from even typing this that was one weird day and I never picked on him for saying he saw "bigfoot" again
So, what’s the significance of all the squirrels, if any?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
believe in yourself.JPG

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
C3BBCE86-5CD5-4B06-9858-A9FAC5259B5D.jpg C6AC6B5A-82F0-4945-9FA3-49E0576B64F3_1_201_a.jpeg
We were looking for a piece of property in 2013, bush crashing around looking at the hilly acreage. I loaded up the photos and saw this black thing in one photo-enlarged it and I can see what looks like a hairy something caring a small one.
Now many time the eyes/brain will see figures in stone, clouds, wood, and this very well be that also. Though the whitish outline on the head sure looks like a primate.
I've wanted to go back and see if I could find it again, near a deep water filled quartz quarry that sits on the property.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YES ! ! !

I went detecting with a buddy eons ago...

And my buddy was so hairy that Bigfoot took pictures of HIM ! ! !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread