Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did someone on the forum find this? Says it was found by a detectorist. Link to article below. That fuse looks pretty viable!

210325195747-civil-war-cannonball-detonate-maryland-exlarge-169.jpg

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/28/us/maryland-cannonball-civil-war-detonate-trnd/index.html

Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One more rare Civil War artifact destroyed by overzealous bomb squad guys. Paranoia runs deep in those guys and they love to blow things up, no matter the history or value. There are Civil War collectors that could have safely disarmed this thing. Ask the CannonballGuy. Gary

Ralph558

Mar 31, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Genuinely didn't think it was still called a cannonball when it was rigged to explode. I thought the internal charge was what defined it as a shell*. I thought round-shot was the ball type projectile, then shot for when it was scatter (canister or grapeshot) and then shell for when you've got an explosive projectile. Where's an artillery nerd when you need one?

FaceTime

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Genuinely didn't think it was still called a cannonball when it was rigged to explode. I thought the internal charge was what defined it as a shell*. I thought round-shot was the ball type projectile, then shot for when it was scatter (canister or grapeshot) and then shell for when you've got an explosive projectile. Where's an artillery nerd when you need one?

Don't worry, we have the number one artillery nerd named cannonballguy. Hopefully he sees this and responds

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This the only and only time I'll ever say, F the police. Son of a turd!

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did someone on the forum find this? Says it was found by a detectorist. Link to article below. That fuse looks pretty viable!

View attachment 1913655

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/28/us/maryland-cannonball-civil-war-detonate-trnd/index.html

Those fuses aren't waterproof and the powder inside would be mostly mud by now. That one could have been easily cleaned out by someone who knows how to do it safely. Aquachigger has a couple good videos about disarming shells, and about what 170 year old black powder actually does when it's removed from the shell

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought they were solid metal balls? Why would they need to be blown up? * It was like flying into a Paris airport and finding out they blew up abandoned or lost luggage! I laughed! No going to lost and found there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions