Old jewelry how to determine date or time period

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price donā€™t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ask this because recently Iā€™ve found 2 necklace pendants, no chain. Whatā€™s obvious is the stones are seemingly glass, not diamonds, did early settlers use glass for stones. Was the purpose using glass because diamonds where to expensive or frankly where not common use at time, yes Iā€™ve found broaches, pendants but can anyone offer explanation, thanks B64CD7F8-9E44-4698-897E-4CA1F587FA45.jpeg

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dating jewellery comes from a combination of pieces of knowledge. One has to consider the style of the piece; the faceting pattern or cutting of any stones that are present; the metal standard in relation to the country of origin (together with any hallmarks or maker's marks); the overall construction and particularly the technology and patent dates for things like pins, clasps, jump-rings; and a bunch of other things too.

Glass has been used as a substitute for natural gemstones for hundreds of years: both as an honest way of providing flashy jewellery for those who couldnā€™t afford the real thing; and as a dishonest way of duping those who thought they were buying the real thing.

By the 11th Century it was in such wide use that the Guild of Goldsmiths in France tried to protect the reputation of its members by dictating that gold should only be used as the setting for natural gems; and glass should only be set in silver. Venice in Italy was one of the major producers and exporters of glass imitation gemstones. The Senate there also tried to protect the cityā€™s reputation in 1487 by forbidding the production of imitation diamond, rubies, emeralds, sapphires and a range of imitation semi-precious stones.

Early glass was moulded, often had small bubbles in it, and lacked the sparkle of natural gemstones but that changed in 1675 with the development of high-lead content flint glass by George Ravenscroft in Britain. A further and more dramatic improvement came in 1724 when the French jeweller Georges FrĆ©dĆ©ric Strass developed a material that came to be known as ā€˜pasteā€™, ā€˜diamanteā€™ or ā€˜strassā€™ā€¦ a leaded glass that could be cut and polished with metal powder to an appearance very close to diamonds. It remained popular through to the 19th Century.

Then, at the end of the 19th Century the Austrian jeweller Daniel Swarovski, introduced high-lead cut-glass crystals as diamond imitations and then coloured versions to imitate other gemstones. In 1892 he also patented a mechanical glass cutter so they could be mass-produced to satisfy the ever-increasing demand.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price donā€™t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thankyou for information.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your picture wasn't showing at the time I made my reply. Is there no mark of any kind on the back of the crucifix? That in itself would be a very bad sign for anything made with precious metals or stones... unless ancient, which that piece clearly is not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions