5G, good or bad?

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I,m with Ozzie,how many bloody g,s are there?In all seriousness,what,s a G anyway.Not technologically astute obviously.

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Same here, old and crusty is I! Still why are what appears to be highly credentialed persons sounding alarms and attempting to get 5G banned?

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody care to step up and explain to Newnan and me about the 5G?I guess I could look it up but then I,m lazy.Lots of knowledge on here and give you a chance to sport your techno savvy!!

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody care to step up and explain to Newnan and me about the 5G?I guess I could look it up but then I,m lazy.Lots of knowledge on here and give you a chance to sport your techno savvy!!

From what I understand. 5g carries a stronger, but shorter bandwidth. A larger data volume transfer. My 4g cellphone when turned onto hotspot mode,and placed in my front window of my home.the wifi signal can reach my shop across my road with about a 90 ft distance.leaving me with 3 bars of service in the shop. If my wife does the same with her 5g phone. Her wifi can only reach on the other side of the road, say 70 ft. Tops. No wifi in the shop.

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chins is currently using a 6g in parts of their country ive heard.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whistler,I thank you for that explanation and example.Alas,I remain as ignorant of multi G as I was before.Not because of any lack in your kind words but my own lack of comprehension.I use a Wal-Mart flip phone,I can send and receive calls and texts and that,s about my limit.Here I ain,t got the 5G and I,m faced with 6G coming!Thanks Buddy.

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whistler,I thank you for that explanation and example.Alas,I remain as ignorant of multi G as I was before.Not because of any lack in your kind words but my own lack of comprehension.I use a Wal-Mart flip phone,I can send and receive calls and texts and that,s about my limit.Here I ain,t got the 5G and I,m faced with 6G coming!Thanks Buddy.

Your welcome! Get prepared to be blown away. They are using tech like this for projecting animated holographic imaging.its appearing we are on the cusp of a new age, or the end of all time either way.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Your welcome! Get prepared to be blown away. They are using tech like this for projecting animated holographic imaging.its appearing we are on the cusp of a new age, or the end of all time either way.

Things are going to get a lot worse before they ever get better.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about how many G's, but I do know 5 ways to start a fire. Might come in handy some day.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Galaxy S20 FE 5G had a systems upgrade for my phone yesterday. 1.5 hrs on the 4G 1 bar service-oh ya-really it's coming and there's little we can do about it.

Neighbour just bought into Star Link $800+ for the dish package 115 down and 25+ up-oh ya this is the new world instead of watching a spinning circle...........

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I belive I know 50.000 ways of starting a fire though not all ware always on purpose... and some made my boss really angry - made him calling warious animals alloud, i really don't know why, i guess this is a privilege of beeing a chemist. LOL

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wired some ceiling can lights once and started a nice fire in my attic. I stick to bricklaying now.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
However unless there was an absoultly amazing study the entire worry is completly pointless in the first place. 5G is Radio Waves, which are non-ionizing. Unless there is undiscovered physics the only way you can be impacted is by heating. This is just dumb scare mongering.

You know what is millions of times more damaging, and at millions of times more power? Sunlight.

Even a desk lamp produces far far more damaging amounts of local heating and at far higher power than is ever possible with a cell phone.

Welcome to treasurenet

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
uhh, someone much techier than myself told me that 5G means the Fifth Generation of a communication platform. I'm not sure if he was correct or not, but I think that makes sense.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just read cw0909 's 5g post. Communication between Massive Machines sounds scary. Anybody ever watch Terminator?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
5G, in many ways, is a huge improvement over 4G.

Easier to quote an article than to explain it:

"According to the standards body, 3GPP, the radio frequency spectrum used by
LTE networks ranges from 700 MHz to 2.7 GHz. In theory, LTE peak data rates
are 75 Mb/s for the uplink and 300 Mb/s for the downlink when using a
multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) antenna system, also referred to as
spatial multiplexing.

The frequency bands for 5G networks come in two sets. Frequency range 1 (FR1)
is from 450 MHz to 6 GHz, which includes the LTE frequency range. Frequency
range 2 (FR2) is from 24.25 GHz to 52.6 GHz. The sub-6 GHz range is the name
for FR1 and the mmWave spectrum is the name for FR2.

In theory, the peak data rates for a fully mature 5G network are 20 Gb/s downlink
and a 10 Gb/s uplink, as standardized by the International Telecommunications Union
."

https://www.sdxcentral.com/5g/definitions/what-is-5g-spectrum/

With the much higher freq. of 5G, it can move data much faster
than 4G, or LTE. Due to the high freq. of mmWave, the wireless
nodes (cell sites) must be closer together, meaning more cell sites
are needed.

So, if the infrastructure is there, a 5G phone can send and receive
data much faster than a 4G, and is much more suitable for streaming
data such as movies, live sports, etc.

Just 10 years ago, test instrumentation was pretty much limited to a max. freq. of 40 GHz,
but now with 5G operating at up to almost 53 GHz, the test instrument manufacturers
have had to improve/upgrade their equipment to accommodate the mmWave bands.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread