Do you Treasure Hunt to get away from the city?

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I moved from a city of 100,000 to a rural county that has only 22,000 souls. I've been here 28 yrs. and never looked back. No crime. No pollution. No coins to find with my detector! It's pathetic. I think these people here bartered in the past and had little money. That's my only problem with living here. I need coins!! Gary

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely....i go from from a city of 22,000 people to a township 41 people....every chance I get....heading there the 21st to go trout and dirt fishing....can't wait.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just spent some time in a really big area/Phoenix. I realize I can't deal with living in a city with any more than about 100k people. I am back in Northern NV. Do others actually treasure hunt away from their home for a peaceful break from bigger city stress?

Hell yes !! Im so eager to get over to the bahamas, and leave the tourist rat race called the fl. Keys !! Its still home and I love it.....but having a super highway cut through the middle of paradise is a real drag !! So much traffic that it kills people and pets on a regular basis !! When i go to the beach in the bahamas I only see my own foot prints from the day before....perfect !!

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely....i go from from a city of 22,000 people to a township 41 people....every chance I get....heading there the 21st to go trout and dirt fishing....can't wait.

Are you going for golden trout or gold in the hills?

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cities are okay for working in but just plain exhausting to live in.

10,000 people is enough town that you can get good groceries, so I like to live around 20 miles outside that.

There is/was an Amethyst mine right outside of Fountain Hills, that's Pheonix area IIRC.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I can not stand the city was born in a small town then tried the city life for a couple years. Then back to a small town so i lived most of my life in a small town and still live in a small town.

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I detect to get away from people. When someone comes up to me and asks what I am looking for, I say "solitude".

Where I live, Chester County PA, seems like the perfect place. Rural and beautiful enough to feel away from it all, plenty of history, yet world class amenities are 15 minutes away if that is what you need. It is the perfect balance, and the idiots haven't really moved in yet.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that really is honest !!

I like your answer honest Samuel !!

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Grew up in the rural, on the edge of a little town of 300. Did the city hopping of all different sizes for years.
Lived in Toronto for 25 (a life sentence) as it felt like it. Then we paroled ourselves to a small hamlet of 30 homes, no stores, services, and the nearest home is a 1/4 mile over the hill from ours.
The excitement of the day-oh look somebody's walking down the road.............:laughing7:
So for the last 11 yrs it's a relief of not dealing with any of the crap that urban living brings.

For detecting I can do it 1 minute away from the porch, or the furthest permission away 1 hr-bush/fields only-don't want to even interact with anything on 2 legs, and the 4 legged ones don't want to interact with my 2 legs-so life works out well.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in a small town....15,000 people, peaceful and virtually no crime but I detect wherever the money is even if it's a large city.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in a relatively small town in Northern Arizona, less than 80,000p. There's a lot of history here, both in town and especially along the railroad. Back in the day the railroad was literally all over the place with all the logging that happened here. Logging camps and cattle/sheep camps are all over the place, no shortage of places to hunt if you do your research. I strongly dislike Phoenix, no offense to anybody who lives there. With Covid going on, I'd rather not do any door knocking. So lately, I've been either out in the woods or along the tracks. I don't have to go more than 10 miles to be in a good location.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Escape is the theme here...!
Yes, I go for the hunt for treasure, and get away from it all...,
as I must admit, Metal Detecting is addictive...!
Its a DRUG...!
But, don't you see it changed your whole lifestyle...?
Now you combo, example, by getting a haircut, then metal detecting...!
Go out into the woods for the wife to paint or sketch subjects of nature,
in her flower book - just so happens these flowers are in an
old logging camp...! She wants to go swimming, and I'm shaking sand scoop
for coins and jewelry., much to the sunbathers disgust...!
I've got it bad folks...! Use me as a bad example, I agree with your assessment...!
Carry on...1

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detect to get away from people. When someone comes up to me and asks what I am looking for, I say "solitude".

Where I live, Chester County PA, seems like the perfect place. Rural and beautifdul enough to feel away from it all, plenty of history, yet world class amenities are 15 minutes away if that is what you need. It is the perfect balance, and the idiots haven't really moved in yet.
It seem that many members live in Pa. It must be the water. You are lucky, check out all the ghost towns and good luck.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seem that many members live in Pa. It must be the water. You are lucky, check out all the ghost towns and good luck.

You're right Samuel, it is the water.I have never carried water with me while out hiking or detecting. There are numerous springs flowing from the hills. Nothing beats fresh cold water on a hot day. Besides, my ancestors were here before the Civil War. I'm not about to leave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread