Story about Pirate( Cpt. Henry Every) coins Found in Rhode Island

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The story went out this morning worldwide on the wire service for the Associated Press - 1,700 newspapers and 6,000 tv and radio news outlets in the US and another 8,500 news outlets outside the US. The story has run in the Washington Post, CBS, ABC, Fox, Google & Yahoo News, papers small and large in the USi; it's gone out to China, Japan, Ireland, England... But you heard all about it hear on T-Net first - my banner find from 2014 -17th Century Hammered Silver - A Pirate's Coin.

Nice write up in the Daily Mail (UK) - homage to one of England's greatest pirates. :skullflag::skullflag::skullflag:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-9425875/Ancient-coins-solve-mystery-murderous-1600s-pirate.html

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday Amigo

While finding such coins is always amazing I think a little to presumptuous to conclude these coins are directly connected to Avery. While it is possible its not exactly proven beyond doubt.

Many different currencies ended up in hands of British/American sailors not all of them pirates spent in numerous locations and passed onto the various colonists through trade of goods and services.

Crow

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome story here in RI..thanks

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gidday Amigo

While finding such coins is always amazing I think a little to presumptuous to conclude these coins are directly connected to Avery. While it is possible its not exactly proven beyond doubt.

Many different currencies ended up in hands of British/American sailors not all of them pirates spent in numerous locations and passed onto the various colonists through trade of goods and services.

Crow

Agreed.

Yeah I don't know where the heck Avery comes into this other than in someones imagination.

OP
OP
Hogtown Hunter

Hogtown Hunter

Jan 30, 2020
Florida
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The story went out this morning worldwide on the wire service for the Associated Press - 1,700 newspapers and 6,000 tv and radio news outlets in the US and another 8,500 news outlets outside the US. The story has run in the Washington Post, CBS, ABC, Fox, Google & Yahoo News, papers small and large in the USi; it's gone out to China, Japan, Ireland, England... But you heard all about it hear on T-Net first - my banner find from 2014 -17th Century Hammered Silver - A Pirate's Coin.

Nice write up in the Daily Mail (UK) - homage to one of England's greatest pirates. :skullflag::skullflag::skullflag:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-9425875/Ancient-coins-solve-mystery-murderous-1600s-pirate.html

So you're Jim Bailey? Congrats on finding something that could be so historically significant. Now that's real treasure.
When I read this story I was thinking that I dont see many posts from Rhode Island on Tnet. Keep us updated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread