Has anyone bought a mobile/manufactured home?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Has anyone bought a mobile/manufactured home?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    The Creative Psychic

Dec 2019
    Nevada
    629 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Question Has anyone bought a mobile/manufactured home?

I am trying to sort out the steps to buying a mobile home. I don't know when to apply to the park if I am interested in buying a particular one. Or if insurance companies will only insure homes made after a certain year? Do parks require insurance?
    ...Sigh

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    7717 times
    Prospecting
    There's mobile homes, then there's manufactured homes. In both cases,
    most major insurance companies do not insure them. Check with Foremost
    and Allstate for insurance.

If in a park, you'll have a house pmt. as well as space rent. Many mobile
    homes are on private lots, as are manufactured homes.

Age is a factor for most financing, and many banks will not lend
    for them. FHA will finance a manufactured home, but it will have
    to meet all FHA requirements (tied downs, foundation, etc.)
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

us
    As your attorney, I advise you to try the chili burger. It's a hamburger, with chili on it...

Jan 2011
    Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
    several, mostly Garrett
    4100 times
    I work at a place that builds manufactured homes and I have to say my best advice, if you want something that's going to last and not have problems in a few years, is don't buy one. There's a lot of corners cut in the building process, and everything is rushed and while some of the methods used are perfectly fine others cause issues and won't stand the test of time in my opinion. I've been a carpenter for 30 years doing new construction and renovation work and things like gluing on sheetrock and not also screwing it to the framing really seem like just asking for trouble to me.

Also our houses are just as expensive as buying one already built, and you could have a nicer house built to your specs for less.
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

I collect military relics, mainly German and American, but interested in others as well, pre 1945 .. Always interested in adding to my collection

some of my antique photo collection : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    21145 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    I've lived in many mobile homes over the years. The major problems I have seen living in the older ones = PLUMBING!!!!!
    Last edited by DeepseekerADS; Apr 03, 2021 at 10:34 AM.
    DizzyDigger and GopherDaGold like this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    Apr 2009
    1776 times
    Contact the park you might be interested in and ask them. They should be able to answer your questions.

um
    Dec 2008
    3020 times
    Many MHC communities are being bought up by large financial interests who immediately raise the rent, and often cut off tenant amenities such a swimming pool so they can reduce the cost of liability insurance.

The tenants are stuck - it can cost $10,000 to move one of those units.

So when you select a place for the home, do your due diligence on the park.

Because homes depreciate like automobiles, it might make sense to purchase a second hand unit in good condition. You can get a professional assessment of the remaining useful life of the home. And they can be refurbished.

Mortgages can be expensive, with interest rates north of 12%.

In the end, a manufactured home isn't an investment. It's a place to live, and the owner is basically paying rent - not building any equity. Most home appreciation is in the land - not the structure. With a manufactured home, you don't own the land and the "building" is declining in value.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
    Make America Think Again

Do you have good books in good condition you are never going to re-read? Clean 'em out!
    Operation Paperback collects gently used books and sends them to American troops.

us
    Apr 2009
    Cumberland Va
    T-2-SE
    3550 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Old Bookaroo has pointed out some very important aspects of trailer living. They are NOT a real-estate investment . you'd be better off in an apartment if you can't afford to by something on it's own land.
    DeepseekerADS and pepperj like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    7717 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Bookaroo View Post
    Because homes depreciate like automobiles, it might make sense to purchase a second hand unit in good condition. You can get a professional assessment of the remaining useful life of the home. And they can be refurbished.Mortgages can be expensive, with interest rates north of 12%.
    In the end, a manufactured home isn't an investment. It's a place to live, and the owner is basically paying rent - not building any equity. Most home appreciation is in the land - not the structure. With a manufactured home, you don't own the land and the "building" is declining in value.
    30 years ago I would agree with you, but many of today's manufactured homes
    are high quality homes, and they are located on private lots, not just in parks.
    The vast majority of homes in my neighborhood area are manufactured homes
    on private lots.

Agreed, mobile home parks are just a place to live, but most are the old mobile
    homes of yesteryear that were made with cheap paneling and thin walls.

If you bought a mobile home on a private lot, you'd have one value for the
    mobile home, and another for the land. A manufactured home on private land
    can be "title eliminated", meaning the land and home are one tax number.

Our home is a manufactured home, including 2x6 outer walls, vaulted ceilings
    and it sits on an 8" slab. We have .65 of an acre, and for assessment and
    tax purposes the home and land are a single tax number..no separate title
    for the home.

We are in a small, rural town of 800, and the value of our place has tripled
    since we bought it in '03.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 36°60'
    9025 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DizzyDigger View Post
    30 years ago I would agree with you, but many of today's manufactured homes
    are high quality homes, and they are located on private lots, not just in parks.
    The vast majority of homes in my neighborhood area are manufactured homes
    on private lots.

Agreed, mobile home parks are just a place to live, but most are the old mobile
    homes of yesteryear that were made with cheap paneling and thin walls.

If you bought a mobile home on a private lot, you'd have one value for the
    mobile home, and another for the land. A manufactured home on private land
    can be "title eliminated", meaning the land and home are one tax number.

Our home is a manufactured home, including 2x6 outer walls, vaulted ceilings
    and it sits on an 8" slab. We have .65 of an acre, and for assessment and
    tax purposes the home and land are a single tax number..no separate title
    for the home.

We are in a small, rural town of 800, and the value of our place has tripled
    since we bought it in '03.
    For what an 8' two-by-six is going for these days you could probably tear the house down, sell the reclaimed lumber, rebuild with block and be money ahead.

Lumber is ridiculously expensive right now. If you really want a deal on a home maybe wait a few years till somebody defaults on the $500,000 loan they took out for their $160,000 house.
    Swaveab and DeepseekerADS like this.
    "Do Not do to others that which you would Not have them do to you"

Choose your heroes carefully.

In God We Trust.

Charter Member
    us
    Wolf Pack!

Jan 2014
    Brookings-Harbor Oregon
    White's prizm IV Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
    14332 times
    The new Manufactured homes are 2 x 6 walls, hardi plank siding, 30 year roofs..at least. insulated very well. Plumbing is exceptional heating as well. My wife's family (outlaws) last year installed two 1000 square foot manufactured homes on our property, replacing the old 2 x 4 wall, metal sided, paneling POS homes. 1200 bucks a month rent no problem around here! Being a contractor was able to buy them from the factory at damn near cost. I have "set" around 50 "mobile homes" in my career. I now build homes. I also when ever possible, buy land and log it as I have a portable saw mill. Lumber prices are absolutely insane! If I was a single individual I would buy ann RV/travel trailer as they have slide outs and you can move pretty much when ever you want/need to!!

Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.

Time is like a river. You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of your life.

A student said to his master, "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"
    The master replied, "It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than to be a gardener in a war."

us
    The Creative Psychic

Dec 2019
    Nevada
    629 times
    I am on disability. I have few other options. My credit is ruined and I do not have housing references.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    21145 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldieLocks View Post
    I am on disability. I have few other options. My credit is ruined and I do not have housing references.
    In my career I was a "temporary worker", or in my terms a "job shopper". 67 projects in 29 states & 8 other nations. Mostly I rented trailers, generally easy to find rentals, not always in great shape - but a roof over my head. The "neighborhood" usually ranked well below the best place to live. But "desperation" housing at its' best. I'm a guy and that's not the best option for a lady. I own an empty house right now, had a couple of renters along the way, but now I keep it empty (for about 6 years now). Empty is not the best for a house, a house needs to "breathe".

But rather than go through any more crap, it still sits empty. One of the issues of being a landlord, cheap renters ain't the best tenants. I remember one time, the rent was way late. Drove down and found the house empty - the tenant had moved on with no notice and it took me about $10k to clean it up, repair it, and to date I keep it empty - don't need no more stinking trouble.

I've considered going to the county to offer it up for someone in true need. But danged it = had enough of the "needy" tenants. They don't seem to be dependable - a point in their life is desperation. And desperation knows no friends or responsibility.
    releventchair likes this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    4276 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Viking View Post
    The new Manufactured homes are 2 x 6 walls, hardi plank siding, 30 year roofs..at least. insulated very well. Plumbing is exceptional heating as well. My wife's family (outlaws) last year installed two 1000 square foot manufactured homes on our property, replacing the old 2 x 4 wall, metal sided, paneling POS homes. 1200 bucks a month rent no problem around here! Being a contractor was able to buy them from the factory at damn near cost. I have "set" around 50 "mobile homes" in my career. I now build homes. I also when ever possible, buy land and log it as I have a portable saw mill. Lumber prices are absolutely insane! If I was a single individual I would buy ann RV/travel trailer as they have slide outs and you can move pretty much when ever you want/need to!!
    Ugh, that hardi siding really sucks. I found out the hardi way.
    Duckshot likes this.

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 36°60'
    9025 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
    Ugh, that hardi siding really sucks. I found out the hardi way.
    What was the problem with it? I've never used it, but a couple of my neighbor's got it.

The only problem with plastic siding IMO is that it looks like plastic siding.

Goldielocks, I hope you find something nice. You probably don't want to move a new mobile home. So, you might look for a mobile home on a lot already. But I would guess that if you can buy a lot it would be the best deal in the long run. Up in northern Wisconsin and Michigan a lot of people's vacation cabins are just old mobile homes.
    "Do Not do to others that which you would Not have them do to you"

Choose your heroes carefully.

In God We Trust.

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    30059 times
    Mobile homes are (in my opinion) a grade below modulars.
    Neither benefit by being moved again.

As with any home , start with the foundation. And the mechanicals and plumbing under the floor. Exposure to climate , and flora and fauna.
    Maybe not a big deal for some , water quality matters to me. I have hard water here. Drinkable no problem. But no sulfur stench , and no iron staining.
    Well water, Not municipal. No water treatment system.

Next the roof. Never neglect it. Any hole through a roof needs sealed. And frequently checked for integrity. Same with seams and where changes in roof creates a splice of two areas combined.
    Roof material are often fragile , meaning water damages them. once damaged dry rot or mold begin the work of finishing it off.

Trailer fires are less common today. Still fires. Heat tape under under the trailer on pipes is noted as the cause too often.
    Electrical systems (again my opinion) are about a ten year lifespan unless inspection proves otherwise.
    After electrical , the plumbing above the floor is next. (We already checked under the floor.

Paying lot rent sucks. Money gone , bye bye. In exchange for two or three pages of rules. Don't fart sideways. Mow the lawn at x amount of inches.
    We're adding sprinklers you don't want and you'll pay x mount. To make your lawn grow faster. Oh , and your portion of our increased water bill will be passed onto you too.

Property caretaker positions turn up now and then.
    A younger me would get excited about some , like this one...
    https://www.ranchwork.com/job/ranch-...onal-monument/

But anyways , an old mobile and paying lot rent was not in the cards for me.
    A friend bought one needing work cheap and fixed it up to resell while he lived in it.
    So he was gaining equity. Not without investment ,time,labor,and risk though.

A short term rental? Maybe. If the landlord is responsible for repairs. Sometimes renting is the option. But it's not an investment.

I know a gal in a dilapidated trailer she owns through hard earned payments, on a rental lot. I do not envy her position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links