Please be careful when detecting old foundations

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never used to detect inside old foundations. I have a couple friends That have found all kinds of neat stuff inside old burned out foundations. some have found guns ,coins and such. I always figured out that a lot of junk trash metal would drive me crazy. Yes there probably is a lot of good stuff inside a burned out foundation BUT !! in 2013 i was searching inside one ans stepped on a rusted nail that penetrated into my foot bone. I am type 2 diabetic. When i got home i went to the emergency room and got it cut open and supposedly got it cleaned out. one day later i had a red line starting up my leg. I went immediately to afoot doctor. They had me go right away to the hospital and get admitted. Right after lunch i was in the operating room. 3 and1/2 months later i was healed. Four surgeries a blood cot in and out of the hospital for 3 1/2 months all because i was careless in my search. JUST all going to those places, Yes there can be treasures there but also MANY DANGERS. I enjoy reading all your posts and do not want to lose any of you.

Happy Easter to you ALL !!!!

Last edited:

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good point Gare. and I'm sure many of us have walked into a bottle dump and stepped on huge chunks of broken glass . wear puncture resistant boots while in the woods guys, leave the sneakers for the park. there are lots of nice boots with a composite plate in the sole on line and in the stores.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good reminder Gare. I think we could all be a little more cautious sometimes... I've sliced my fingers open numerous times on glass and sharp pieces of metal while digging, stepped on nails, almost got bit by a copperhead (thankfully avoided that one), etc. I've never had to go to the hospital but it's definitely not fun regardless.

Last edited:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that info Gary, glad you recovered! I came onto an abandoned farm once and luckily, noticed someone had moved the concrete well cover off of the open well and left it that way. I moved it back into place and thought if I had fallen in, that would have been a tough situation.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too worry about foundations, but even more then foundations, i worry about falling down a well. It would likely be a death sentence to fall into a well all alone. If theres water in the bottom, it'll be around 48-52 degree water and you'd have only minutes to get out before hypothermia sets in and it's unlikely you could even find the strength or method to scale the walls.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My goodness glad you recovered Gare. Get some good boots. And whistler84 is right those honey locust thorns can go right through your boot sole.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every detector should also have a current tetanus shot. Tetanus reproduces by spores, and they can be anywhere, but mostly in the soil. Especially where livestock is or was kept. Tetanus shots are usually good for 10 yrs. We have lots of those nasty honey locust trees here as well. Good boots are a must.

DSC05938.JPG DSC05939.JPG Gary

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyones remarks here are loved by me. THANK YOU all for the kind wishes

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of you were digging everything, you would have removed it before stepping on it. :laughing7:
I was detecting a swim hole and hit on what I thought was a fishing pole piece. The scoop wouldn't grab it so I pinched it between my feet, jumped up and tried to grab it. Missed it and when I came down, the sharp end of a metal rod went a quarter inch or so into my shin. Still have the dark spot/scar. The things you learn in this hobby.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOU just CAN NEVER be to CAREFUL !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread