Rooftop Solar - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Rooftop Solar

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    4276 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddsPoint View Post
    Do the panels produce 110V AC or 12 volt DC? Gary
    Afaik, all solar panels only produce DC.

us
    Treasure every day!

Aug 2005
    Beautiful Florida
    4182 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Kantuckkeean View Post
    PM sent. We had to pay 20% up front and 80% after it went operational... Although they haven't sent the second invoice yet.

Kindest regards,
    Kantuck
    Are there any incentives or money paid by either the power company or the govt to help offset the expense?
    Kantuckkeean and Fat like this.
    It would seem we are now up a famous tributary without any means of locomotion.

us
    Treasure every day!

Aug 2005
    Beautiful Florida
    4182 times
    Relic Hunting
    As far as roofs go I have had my roof replaced 3 times in 25 years here in Florida where I live. 2 hurricanes and a really bad hail storm so I guess insurance would cover the repair/replace on the panels.
    Fat likes this.
    It would seem we are now up a famous tributary without any means of locomotion.

us
    Aug 2007
    Lawton, OK
    Teknetics T2
    115 times
    When you produce excess electricity does your power company buy the excess? When I looked into it my power company won't pay for the excess. (Lawton ,OK area.)
    Kantuckkeean and Fat like this.
    Civilian contractor teaching Air Defense at Fort Sill (Lawton) OK.
    Remember a gold pan is like marijuana, the gate way drug to an 8 inch dredge!

us
    Apr 2009
    Cornfield, IN
    F-22, cheapo pinpointer
    1793 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by newnan man View Post
    Are there any incentives or money paid by either the power company or the govt to help offset the expense?
    Yes. There is a federal tax incentive. 26% of the cost of the panels and 22% on the cost of the battery. The tax incentive started at 30% several years ago for individuals producing less than their total usage and was set to decrease to 26% after a few years, then to 22% this year. However, the COVID relief bill that was passed in December kept the 26% in place if the system is producing prior to the end of 2021 (I believe it extended the 26% for just one year). The battery incentive wasn't included in that though so we'll get 26% for the panels but only 22% for the battery when we file. Our electric provider will pay us $0.027/kWh that we send to the grid.

Kindest regards,
    Kantuck
    Last edited by Kantuckkeean; Apr 06, 2021 at 12:51 PM.
    Fat and newnan man like this.

us
    Apr 2009
    Cornfield, IN
    F-22, cheapo pinpointer
    1793 times
    Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    When you produce excess electricity does your power company buy the excess? When I looked into it my power company won't pay for the excess. (Lawton ,OK area.)
    Our provider pays us $0.027/kWh that we send to the grid. However, they charge us $0.109/kWh that we draw from the grid, so we'll try to utilize the solar and battery as much as possible by doing laundry, dishes, showers, etc. when the sun is shining. Yesterday, we sent 10.4 kWh to the grid and only drew 0.4kWh from the grid. Some providers actually bank the excess kWh produced at 1:1, which is much more favorable for the small producer, since they're essentially using the grid as a "free" battery.

Kindest regards,
    Kantuck
    Fat likes this.

Sep 2014
    Midwest, North of 36į60'
    9025 times
    I think that the trick to making solar viable is to forget the inverter and start manufacturing DC appliances. If you gat a DC coffee maker you don't need an invertor.
    Fat likes this.
    "Do Not do to others that which you would Not have them do to you"

Choose your heroes carefully.

In God We Trust.

us
    Apr 2009
    Cornfield, IN
    F-22, cheapo pinpointer
    1793 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckshot View Post
    I think that the trick to making solar viable is to forget the inverter and start manufacturing DC appliances. If you gat a DC coffee maker you don't need an invertor.
    Would probably work well for local production. I'll let you know how viable our system is after I have an entire year's worth of data. So far though, I'm impressed with it's ability to keep up with our demands and to produce electricity even when it's overcast. Systems in Indiana will of course perform differently than systems in say, Texas, sunny California, or more southern latitudes. Also, the alignment of our root is ESE-WNW, so we put the bulk of the panels on the ESE face.

Kindest regards,
    Kantuck
    Fat likes this.

Fat
    us
    Mr. finishup all the leftovers

Oct 2020
    Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
    I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
    3974 times
    Dark skinned women digging there toes in white sugar sand beaches
    Thanks for the pms and answering my questions. I would like to keep track off all the monies in and out, plz.

I drove past a big fenced off solar panel farm? a few days ago. South of sterling Colorado if anybody want to look at with satellite view.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links