Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you produce excess electricity does your power company buy the excess? When I looked into it my power company won't pay for the excess. (Lawton ,OK area.)

Our provider pays us $0.027/kWh that we send to the grid. However, they charge us $0.109/kWh that we draw from the grid, so we'll try to utilize the solar and battery as much as possible by doing laundry, dishes, showers, etc. when the sun is shining. Yesterday, we sent 10.4 kWh to the grid and only drew 0.4kWh from the grid. Some providers actually bank the excess kWh produced at 1:1, which is much more favorable for the small producer, since they're essentially using the grid as a "free" battery.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that the trick to making solar viable is to forget the inverter and start manufacturing DC appliances. If you gat a DC coffee maker you don't need an invertor.

Would probably work well for local production. I'll let you know how viable our system is after I have an entire year's worth of data. So far though, I'm impressed with it's ability to keep up with our demands and to produce electricity even when it's overcast. Systems in Indiana will of course perform differently than systems in say, Texas, sunny California, or more southern latitudes. Also, the alignment of our root is ESE-WNW, so we put the bulk of the panels on the ESE face.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the pms and answering my questions. I would like to keep track off all the monies in and out, plz.

I drove past a big fenced off solar panel farm? a few days ago. South of sterling Colorado if anybody want to look at with satellite view.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread