Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 , Nox 600, Excalibur II, manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I ordered an Excalibur from Bart at big boys hobbies, it should arrive tomorrow. My question is for the people who already own one is what type shaft and configuration are you using and why.

I’m going back and forth between the hip mount for the pod and the carbon fiber shaft where the pod is under/behind your forearm. I feel that due to the weight of the machine anything I can do to offset it will be a plus.

Thanks in advance.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I purchased a straight shaft for mine = one heckuva better swing out of it. Couldn't go more than 2 hours on the stock shaft (elbow cranker), can go just about all day with the straight shaft configuration.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a Plugger travel carbon fiber straight shaft for mine. It can use the pod under forearm or behind cuff, depending on your preference. I like the idea of being able to pack it in small luggage should I ever wish or need to.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a straight shaft with pod behind your shoulder. I would not waist/chest mount mine, I use to work in the Minelab repair center, cant tell you how many came in with shorts in the cables and when I enquired how they had them mounted they were mounded to their waist or chest. The constant flexing of the cables as they swing the coil created shorts in the cables.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a Plugger straight shaft on mine liked it so much i bought another for my back up machine

OP
OP
H

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I purchased a straight shaft for mine = one heckuva better swing out of it. Couldn't go more than 2 hours on the stock shaft (elbow cranker), can go just about all day with the straight shaft configuration.

What brand of shaft did you buy?

OP
OP
H

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Get a straight shaft with pod behind your shoulder. I would not waist/chest mount mine, I use to work in the Minelab repair center, cant tell you how many came in with shorts in the cables and when I enquired how they had them mounted they were mounded to their waist or chest. The constant flexing of the cables as they swing the coil created shorts in the cables.

Thanks for the insight looks like I’ll be getting a straight shaft. I have to check out the plugger, it seems to be popular

onadraw

Sep 28, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excalibur II, Tesoro Lobo ST, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the Plugger Over-Under straight shaft for mine.

OP
OP
H

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Has anyone heard anything about the shaft from owl engineering? Looks to be well made.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other

I don't even remember! It was about 7 years ago. Purchased it during my trip to Florida at the Kellyco shop. I'd sent the Excal down to them for new o-rings, etc, and drove down to pick it up. I know it's carbon fiber.

And saved my elbow :) I'd purchased my Excal used from a member here.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I bought the plugger carbon fiber straight shaft that has the box mounted on the end of the shaft so the box is behind you elbow works as a counter balance . you can look up Plugger shafts on flee bay he will have lots of pictures

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Another tip for all you Excal lovers out there.....

The stock battery for the Excal would go for about 8 (?) hours on a charge. I picked up an RNB-3000 replacement battery for mine - seems to go forever...

RNB EX-3000 Lithium Ion battery for Minelab Excalibur

As little (or much) as I hit the water, basically goes all Summer - and I have the stock battery with me if I lose charge on the RNB......

onadraw

Sep 28, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excalibur II, Tesoro Lobo ST, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another tip for all you Excal lovers out there.....

The stock battery for the Excal would go for about 8 (?) hours on a charge. I picked up an RNB-3000 replacement battery for mine - seems to go forever...

RNB EX-3000 Lithium Ion battery for Minelab Excalibur

As little (or much) as I hit the water, basically goes all Summer - and I have the stock battery with me if I lose charge on the RNB......

Sounds good but these batteries appear to be discontinued and no longer available.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread