Be warned - it may be a bad year for snakes.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I absolutely love snakes, I won't be bothered one bit.

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not many poisonous snakes around here thankfully. If we had them I’d have to be more careful about jumping off the lawnmower to snatch em up and show the kids. Spent many summers at my grandparents in Arkansas, lots of stuff is trying to bite you down there.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a few black snakes around the yard... i leave em be...

They are fast and stealthy... staying close to things... for if not... BAM... an Opsrey or hawk will nail em.

I also heard and i dont know if it is true... that if you have black snakes then you dont have other snakes... not sure of this is true... perhaps someone here knows.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a few black snakes around the yard... i leave em be...

They are fast and stealthy... staying close to things... for if not... BAM... an Opsrey or hawk will nail em.

I also heard and i dont know if it is true... that if you have black snakes then you dont have other snakes... not sure of this is true... perhaps someone here
knows.

[FONT=Work Sans, sans-serif]Snake in general is not really on the menu for black rat snakes. They prefer to stick to warm blooded animals like rats, mice, moles, and other rodents. While they have also been known to eat the occasional bird, insect, or reptile as well.
[/FONT]how they do help keep other snakes away is by reducing the food source available.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SUNY-ESF says that copperheads in New York are mainly in the lower Hudson Valley and scattered throughout the Catskills.

Snakes are cool.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

hey thanks, In all my time in ny i have never seen one, now I know why. I don't spend much time out east. snakes are cool, I even had a pet snake at one time. I just dislike having to check places every time I do Something or reach somewhere. That was the worst part when I spent a few summers in western NC.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's never a bad year for snakes. I've never met a snake I didn't like. Including rattlesnakes. I had a bad year last year as I only saw 2 rattlers, but the amount of non-venemous I saw made up for it.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, Maryland is controlled by one side. Not political thread so lets not go into detail.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since on the subject of snakes, remember half the bites are to the arms or hands. That means look twice before you stick your hand down towards the ground.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the rattlesnakes bites around here are people who don't know the proper way to pick up a rattler and get bit on their hand or arm. I've been bit by garter snakes that twist their head around real quick, and I thought I had a good hold of them.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ain't picking up no snake!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh good gracious!!! Need to keep my lawn mowed!

I was bitten on my right knee by a copperhead when I was aged 12. Got a trip to the hospital out of that, some kinda shots.

I don't really remember any serious issues for me except being very afraid, didn't like the shots, and to date pay attention to the ground around me.

I made it to 72 and am far more afraid of spiders than I am of snakes....

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here in Louisiana I grew up by a canal where we caught by hand baby water moccasins, baby copperheads, speckled king snakes and huge alligator snapping turtles. Never got bit thank goodness. Screenshot 2021-04-08 at 11.18.27 AM.png

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some friends were out hiking by the river and one guy said to stomp your feet or use a stick to stir up the bushes ahead of you to avoid snake confrontations. So one guy starts walking ahead stomping his feet, hadn't got very far and all primed-up for action and a big bullsnake reared up right in front of him about crotch-high and started hissing at him, sounded a bit like a rattlesnake. I wish I could have seen the look on that guy's face and heard that sound he made.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boids! They is called boids! There names are Mr. Silver Roo, Honey and Buff.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread