Be warned - it may be a bad year for snakes.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes for reasons like this, I enjoy living in ny where the only venomous snake will warn you its there.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought copperheads were in parts of New York...my neighbor supposedly killed one over a year ago before they moved, however, I think it was a northern water snake. His description made it too big for a copperhead.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to gorge on locusts. Good source of protein. Fry em in a pan and dip em in butter :icon_thumright:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought copperheads were in parts of New York...my neighbor supposedly killed one over a year ago before they moved, however, I think it was a northern water snake. His description made it too big for a copperhead.
Nope, at least there are none in western ny.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see dozens of snakes every year ,I raise chicken which attract snakes. the snakes love eggs ,baby chicks and the mice that are drawn to the lost feed.
here's one from last year I got out of the chicken nest box and it bit me good. I'm getting old and slow but I can still go.
The only snakes I kill are copperheads near yard. I wear boots year round and watch what I'm doing. 20190523_093912.jpg

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes copperheads are here in NY..A while ago I was fishing and sitting on a rocky bank replacing a hook and a large one crawled inches behind me,,seeing it so so close was incredible,,

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought my fishing license today. Don't know when I'm going. Playing tag with contractors these days.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have Timberback Rattlesnakes here in South East Minnesota. They are pretty majestic creatures and won't bite unless heavily provoked or stepped on. They usually warn you too if you get too close. My son almost stepped on one and i heard the rattle and something instinctual in that noise that kicked in and i grabbed him back before it even registered it was a rattler, as he was ahead of me as we were walking along the edge of the field. He was all coiled up there, waiting for some prey to walk by.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes copperheads are here in NY..A while ago I was fishing and sitting on a rocky bank replacing a hook and a large one crawled inches behind me,,seeing it so so close was incredible,,

Where in ny are you? Gotta be further east i guess? A lot of people mistake milk snakes or water snakes here in western ny for copperheads.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most rattlesnakes make a warning, rattling. BUT Timber rattlers usually do not make a sound. THUS "Don't Tread On Me" is the motto. They strike without warning!

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or a very good year if you are a copperhead. The 17 year locusts will be hatching soon and the copperheads think it's a gift from God and will come out and gorge on them. So...be extra vigilant where you step!

Also be careful where you put your hands when berry picking or cutting brush, as copperheads are climbers, and they will be in the brush and trees looking for cicada larvae.

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are definitely copperheads in NY. I used to put them in my baseball glove to move them off the field! Haha! Being in MD I always look out for cottonmouths and copperheads. Good thing we have shovels if needed! Haha!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you believe in Maryland it is not legal to kill any snake.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just saw and caught my first garter snake of the year. I have to catch them to say hi.

LaTxHunter

Aug 21, 2011
I hunt in Texas and Louisiana and we have snakes year round

Our Jack Russell Terrier was bitten by a now dead Copperhead in our backyard, curled up in a patch of chives. We saw a 5-6' King Snake sunning himself on a dirt road a couple of days ago. I know King Snakes aren't venomous but the things that you'll do when one slithers under your feet can cause you to hurt yourself

Or a very good year if you are a copperhead. The 17 year locusts will be hatching soon and the copperheads think it's a gift from God and will come out and gorge on them. So...be extra vigilant where you step!

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not know that! I won’t harm the slithery little fellas! I was in the woods yesterday looking for some old bottle dumps. Found one from around the 40s-50s I believe, but no snake friends!

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where in ny are you? Gotta be further east i guess? A lot of people mistake milk snakes or water snakes here in western ny for copperheads.

SUNY-ESF says that copperheads in New York are mainly in the lower Hudson Valley and scattered throughout the Catskills.

Snakes are cool.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread