Have you had any Close Calls with Death ?

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I was about six, I was in the bathroom at the sink. I looked up beside the mirror and for some reason I decided the outlet is where tweezers were made to fit. I was too small to reach it, so I climbed up on the sink and could finally get to the outlet. Finally I stuck the two prongs of the tweezer where, in my young mind, I knew they were made to fit. Soon as I pushed the prongs in both holes I clearly remember a blue streak of electricity shot out about two feet and it blew every fuse in the house. I came out of the bathroom and first thing my mom said was, "You're white as a ghost. What did you do?" Then she tried to turn the light on and found the tweezers still stuck in the outlet. This was my earliest brush with death. I have more I'll have to tell when I get more time.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was 20 or so, I was responsible for a guy getting fired at work. A few days later he came knocking on my door, looking to “make peace”, wanted to take me out for dinner, drinks, whatever it took for me to get out of my safe apartment.
His pitch was “just the two of us”.....I made up every excuse not to go, cuz I knew something was up....he finally gave up and left.
I heard the sirens a bit later, didn’t think anything about it.
Found out the next day that him and his 2 brothers all died in a car wreck, a mile from my place.
The cops wanted to know why my address was in his pocket, they also asked if I knew why he had a stolen gun on him.
30 years later, I remember it like yesterday.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Almost 20 years ago a skyscraper landed 3 car lengths away from me, blew me up, choked me hurt me very bad and sprayed me with other people.

Yea, I think you won this thread.
Yikes.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I grew up in Detroit, In the 60's.... not fun at all.

My area is southwest Detroit wasn't too bad as a kid, rough and alot of fires and car wrecks all the time, but it was pretty much working middle class, people did their lawns and maintained their property and looked after each other.
Never was any racial strife, blacks kept to their areas and we kept to ours, never thought twice about it as a kid until the drastically flawed concept of bussing was put into practice - Then I was nearly consumed by it, a real eye opener, and we had to move, along with 10,000's of others escaping the urban time bomb for the suburbs - Relegating large portions of the once great, famous city [and many others like it] into permanent blight and crime.

Yes that all changed drastically towards the mid/late 70's and now my old middle class neighborhood has 3 houses remaining on the block, and thats both sides of the street, like a bomb went off, very sad. I would love to detect my old lawn but realistically don't think that will ever happen, maybe when the old house burns down I'll get a shot at it.

Last edited:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My area is southwest Detroit wasn't too bad as a kid, rough and alot of fires and car wrecks all the time, but it was pretty much working middle class, people did their lawns and maintained their property and looked after each other.
Never was any racial strife, blacks kept to their areas and we kept to ours, never thought twice about it as a kid until the drastically flawed concept of bussing was put into practice - Then I was nearly consumed by it, a real eye opener, and we had to move, along with 10,000's of others escaping the urban time bomb for the suburbs - Relegating large portions of the once great, famous city [and many others like it] into permanent blight and crime.

Yes that all changed drastically towards the mid/late 70's and now my old middle class neighborhood has 3 houses remaining on the block, and thats both sides of the street, like a bomb went off, very sad. I would love to detect my old lawn but realistically don't think that will ever happen, maybe when the old house burns down I'll get a shot at it.

From the pictures I've seen, that is so sad. It looks like a bombed out war zone in those places.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From the pictures I've seen, that is so sad. It looks like a bombed out war zone in those places.

Slightly positive in a sick way, nut nature is taking over square miles in some places.
You can see it greening up on satellite, and I have seen deer and coyotes roaming the hood - I'll take a 4 legged bandit over a 2 any day !

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
BAD brain bleed; AVM; "Clinical Death"; 2 1/2 months in "locked-in coma"; traumatic brain injury; after-life experience; STILL recovering; ONLY the body dies (host). "Spirit" is set FREE. NO REAL DEATH; "SPIRIT" is ETERNAL... FOREVER. NOT even SUNDAY... HA!

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BAD brain bleed; AVM; "Clinical Death"; 2 1/2 months in "locked-in coma"; traumatic brain injury; after-life experience; STILL recovering; ONLY the body dies (host). "Spirit" is set FREE. NO REAL DEATH; "SPIRIT" is ETERNAL... FOREVER. NOT even SUNDAY... HA!
I agree with you. Would love to hear about it.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost 20 years ago a skyscraper landed 3 car lengths away from me, blew me up, choked me hurt me very bad and sprayed me with other people.

I watched it fall live on the tv and I'll never forget. I can bbn only Imagine the trauma of being there.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Slightly positive in a sick way, nut nature is taking over square miles in some places.
You can see it greening up on satellite, and I have seen deer and coyotes roaming the hood - I'll take a 4 legged bandit over a 2 any day !

Lived & worked in Metro-Detroit for many years = about 30. Yeah, what a shame. When I went up there it wasn't like that, it was still Motown. But then it "rotted". I guess for many reasons, but the blame should be placed on the people who lived there AND GAVE UP.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other

Hey Rebel, I've no idea - all I know is that I was taught basically from birth to believe. I remember when I thought my next moment was my last buried in prayer - my childhood prayer = "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep." That prayer was from my earliest memories, and still lives with me today.

I guess today I'm considered elderly - but I don't feel that way. I feel like I'm a young man - though my body says otherwise. Before my grandmother passed she told me that she didn't feel old, she felt she was still young. And Mom's 94 now, and she doesn't feel old either - though her body says otherwise.

At this point, our feeling of "youth" is all we have, and I certainly wouldn't wish otherwise. Stay safe my friend.

The Chaplain of Bourbon Street once said "If all faith is for you is a feeling of comfort, isn't it worth it?"

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feb, 2015, I was dead, first responders & an then an immediate emergency surgery brought me back to life. (This one is true.)
Dec., 1993, Bigfoot attack.
June, 1977, alien abduction.
Oct., 1988, got married, took me five years to finally escape that certain death trap.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Feb, 2015, I was dead, first responders & an then an immediate emergency surgery brought me back to life. (This one is true.)
Dec., 1993, Bigfoot attack.
June, 1977, alien abduction.
Oct., 1988, got married, took me five years to finally escape that certain death trap.

Hey, you've been here for years prior to my first log in. You've listed things I've only read about here and there.

I want to know more! I'm pretty familiar with the marriage kinda thing - cost me all my bucks, but got out alive :)

Yeager

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Vietnam combat experience aside, my closest CIVILLIAN "near death" occurred on the police department. The arrest of Van Skyhawk (Skyhock?). Look it up, mid-eighties... Wauwatosa, WI. Van Skyhock came to a motel door where we cops were posing as his hired hold-up goons. When we opened the door, he drew a .357 mag to kill as many of us as he could. He thought we were going to kill him as a double-cross. I saw the gun as he grabbed it from his beltline. I jumped up and took it from his hand before he could aim and pull the trigger. This happened so quickly that the officer to my right never saw the gun until it was unloaded on a nearby chair. I got a "hero medal" for my actions. Check out the news reports. True story. The entire narrative is really interesting ... and exciting, if you want to hear it. ╦╦C

Was that drug related? I lived in the area at that time and it seems that many places around there are in better shape now than they were in the 70s/80s.

At first I was thinking I’ve led a charmed life...no near misses. But then I remembered what a bad driver my ex husband was and all the accidents I walked away from and the near misses, almost getting hit by a train and once by a dump truck full of gravel.

Almost got smashed flat by a circus wagon once. Was down on the lakefront in Milwaukee helping unload them for the Great Circus Parade. One of the ramps broke. I caught the movement out of the corner of my eye and was backing up when it came down with a crash. Got hit on the head and saw stars for a while. Thankful I wasn’t all the way underneath it.

Have had bullets zing overhead or ricochet past me more times than I care to think about.

Been hypothermic to the point where I stopped shivering...thought I was going to freeze to death.

I think the scariest was almost being abducted. After my divorce I bought a house in a small town and was walking my dogs down the street after work when a van pulled up at the intersection in front of me. The driver had parked against traffic, rolled down his window and said ‘what kind of dogs are those?’. Before I could answer he was getting out of the van by the sliding door behind the driver seat and coming at me at a quick walk while saying ‘oh ya I have one just like your brown one’. I was distracted by thinking ‘if he has one why doesn’t he know what kind of dog it is?’. He grabbed the arm of my jacket and tried to pull me into the van. I backed up and hauled off to hit him when the dogs intervened...one started barking and the other growled and lunged at him. With all the commotion he let go, jumped back in the van and took off. I just stood there and shook for about 10 minutes. If it wasn’t for the dogs I feel I’d have probably met a fate worse than death.

Adding one I try not to think about because I've been feeling so good...coming up on 5 years cancer free. Knock wood.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, you've been here for years prior to my first log in. You've listed things I've only read about here and there.

I want to know more! I'm pretty familiar with the marriage kinda thing - cost me all my bucks, but got out alive :)

The marriage in 88, met her during that alien abduction in 77, divorce was final in 93.....this being part of the Bigfoot attack. :laughing7:

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe later...
I was once dead as well but remember nothing of it. That said I was with my grandfather as he passed. He stopped breathing and returned over a dozen times. Way to personal for a forum but noone could have witnessed that and left unsure if there was life after death.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
TOO much for some ppl...

Wave after wave of pouring rain here, been in bed trying to sleep but it's not happening. You & I have traded posts for years here. We be who we be my friend. You stay safe my friend -- ya ever need to hide somewhere, come on up :)

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to be a common thing.

Perched on a cliff 60’ above a creek.
Was trying to pull a PVC union apart to fix a waterline.

It suddenly came apart and I started falling backwards waving my arms like crazy trying to get some balance.
My brother grabbed my front collar and pulled me back to the cliff face right after I knew I was a goner.

BEST FEELING EVER. That’s the only time anyone ever saved my life that I know of.

Other than that...well many other serious situations..some that resulted in lengthy hospital stays. Survived those by dumb luck.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread