jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thing I would suggest, don't act like a Pompous arse , or Hyper Speed Freak & don't Lie in the title.
I've seen enough Hyper you tubers swinging their arms up and down like they are chopping wood while talking like a used car salesman,
shoving their faces into the cameras, I don't want a close up of some guys lips while I'm trying to listen to him.
and I've seen enough titles saying You'll never believe what I found ! Show me it & I'll believe, Don't tell me I Won't !

Do act like an Adult, Talking to adults & I'd most likely want to watch your Adventures.
watch Nora Svet & how she Acts & Talks ! She respects her viewers & Doesn't B.s, anyone for views .

Bondi Treasure Hunter goes overboard with his Titles, but his excitement is Tolerable

What The Hales drove me away His lips in the Camera practically kissing the lens Make me ill !
as has a few Magnet Fishers who get too hyper, lie on titles, and give magnet fishers a bad name
by calling the police every time they find a chicken bone or cap gun.
one guy actually called the police because he found rags in a creek and
insisted it may be a murder scene :(
and standing on bridge walls to magnet fish. if they loose their balance they would probably want to sue

Good Luck !

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And move the camera SLOWLY! And I would not start out saying "guys" or "hey guys". Lots of 4 year olds do that. Girls watch youtube also.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes keep camera steady !
I get motion sick from some & move away early

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Youtube is my entertainment, got a very big screen TV downstairs, but very seldom watch that - keeps Mom happy at 95, 3 days from now.

Most videos I open, even if they have a title which interests me, I go in and in the first few minutes I either continue watching or move on the the next. You catch a person's interest within the first few moments - minutes. Don't go thinking you are somebody without putting something behind it to help prove it to your viewers. And most of all, be humble. Some of the dudes I've seen in videos I just wanted to go kneecap them almost immediately. I continue no further with the dullards, wannabes, ego thumpers, etc.

Last edited:

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look up Slim Potatohead on YouTube. The camping topic is what got people to check out his videos. His 134k subscribers would still be there if he switched to videos about barn painting. That's because they like him and how he presents the topic.

There's a lot of hours long silent videos with millions of views of nothing but grass growing. If you can avoid driving people away, you are golden.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't use the annoying descriptions such as nectar, roundness and other stupid phrases when digging. I immediately turn off video when I hear that crap.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Include a pretty girl with a great personality in your video. If you could get a different pretty girl for each video that would be awesome. I'm just not sure if you would still be detecting as much with so many pretty girls around you.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't watch much detecting vids, too much phony hype and sensationalism for me.

I would say, don't beg for clicks and subscribers, that sends me running. And don't post run of the mill penny/bottlecap finds, who wants to see that ?
Nora and some of the other chicks can get away with it because guys just want to see bikini shots [and she has slyly been doing that more and more lately], guys don't have it so easy.
I'd say you might do better doing review/tips vid of your machine than running around filming dug holes.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When swinging the coil over a target DON'T talk. Let everyone hear the tone do not drown the tone out with talking. When explaining the tone stop swinging it and explain then you can swing it again

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont do a catch and cook on a worm or grub. If you need to eat something gross for content, it's time to stop videoing.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When swinging the coil over a target DON'T talk. Let everyone hear the tone do not drown the tone out with talking. When explaining the tone stop swinging it and explain then you can swing it again

It's ok to let listeners hear the tone/beep/signal. But seriously what's with the 20-30 times over a signal-ya we get it there something in the ground. Just dig it-carry on-
90% of all detecting videos are the $hites basically-Jeff summed it up pretty good.
Too much drama-BS click bait titles-yelling-camera jumping-staging-if I wanted to watch a person swinging a coil for 5-10 minutes between digs - well fast forward-go onto something else.
I guess the ones that do make it are just filming the experience-edit-post up the digs-and the final outcome totals.
OK-ONE MORE THING-CUT THE MUSIC!!! Bonanza of the burning map and theme song-ok-youtubers-no I don't want to hear your fav. C&W tune for 3 minutes.
Now what's with the scenes of driving to the sites-really what has the 10 minute drive with music got to do with detecting??
Most if not all have lost me really quick......

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, forget the drive to the site part. And if its not in focus, don't put it in the video. Do a cut away later. Don't want wind noise? Put a sock over the mic.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why are you doing a youtube channel? First decision, for sure. Are you doing it because you simply enjoy making the videos and sharing your experiences or are you desiring to build a large audience with the intention of eventually monetizing your channel? Entertainment or education, both, or really don't care? Do you even want a large audience? "A lot" of work and time required with a larger audience because they want that constant engagement, but do you really want to become that consumed by your channel? I had a large youtube channel and ended up deleting it because it became a job, all of my free time invested in that channel, now much better off with a very modest "post videos at my leisure" channel simply because I enjoy making them whenever that mood or notion strikes me. A big channel will become an everyday thing....do you really want that?

Cameras? The one I use the most "hands down" is the Coolpix W300, no fisheye, good audio quality, fits in a pocket, can be mounted on a harness or just about anywhere with the right adaptors, it's HD capable, can be tripod mounted, good zoom quality, waterproof, and reasonably priced. I never leave home without it but just don't make near as many videos I use to. I'm also a photographer with boatloads of cameras and gear so for me to be using the W300 I think that speaks volumes.

OH, and one last thing, do you just want to be yourself or do you want to become a character actor with a lot of catch phrases, etc.?

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL I just remembered One you Tuber Strapped his Camera to his Detector :laughing7:

Wrong Move :laughing7:

I think I did last 30 Seconds before I realized my Eyes didn't Like :laughing9:

& it wasn't gonna Stop :unhappysmiley:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL I just remembered One you Tuber Strapped his Camera to his Detector :laughing7:

Wrong Move :laughing7:

I think I did last 30 Seconds before I realized my Eyes didn't Like :laughing9:

& it wasn't gonna Stop :unhappysmiley:

lol....dizzying. I don't know, so many videos out there these days of people metal detecting, just seems to be getting too redundant for me.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still enjoy Some.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions