Anyone know about Vacuum tubes?

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I did a large clean out of a old electronics manufacture. Among the many treasure were hundreds of vacuum tubes. Many in the boxes, many are not. I understand some could have reasonable value, while many are nearly worthless.

I have so many that looking up each kind would take ages. Hopping to find someone in the Dayton Ohio area that knows something about them. Anyone able to help me out?

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec II, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there,
Unfortunately, if you want to know the current worth you may have to start looking them up. There are sites on-line that will help with that. A lot will depend on condition and if they test good on a known good tube tester. Even if they are in the box, they may not test good since repairers used to keep marginal ones they pulled out of radios and tv's, etc. in case they could amp them up and get them working again. You're right, some are worth more than others depending on the amount they made and the application. There are guys on-line that will take them off your hands but probably not anywhere near what they may be worth. I've been that route with the tubes that I have (about 1500). Their best suggestion if you want to sell them is to list them individually on E-bay which takes a load of time and effort. Hopefully someone can offer you better advice but thought I would chime in. I bet you got some great stuff out of the shop. Good luck.

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Cuda!

I suppose I didn’t expect a magic bullet here. More than anything I’d hope to get a decent little pay out on them and move them to someone who cares to fool with it. They are just a small part of The Whole deal. Heck I have about 30 vintage oscilloscopes and other testing equipment to sort, clean and sell, along with tons of other stuff to process.

Care for a bunch of tubes for your collection? Lol

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could check with a guitar amplifier repair person in your area that works on tube amps. They should be able to provide some info. You could also look up someone who knows something about ham radios, and maybe if there's a hamfest scheduled soon.
You could start by sorting the tubes yourself with some online research at tube depot or Dougs tubes.
For example,
Sort out the power tubes: 6L6, 6BQ5, KT 66, etc
Sort the driver tubes: 12AX7, AT7, AY7, AU7, 6SN7s, etc.
Also sort the rectifiers: 5U4, 5Y3, 5AR4, etc
You could also search for tube data at Frank's electron tube pages
Frank's Electron tube Pages (tubedata.org)

Jon 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few I picked up at a yard sale a while back sitting on a shelf somewhere.... Some of them can bring a decent price. There's a guy on youtube who works on antique electronics Mr Carlsons lab, you might contact him, I think he's also on the Antique Radios forum still....

Randy Combs

Sep 16, 2013
FREDONIA KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Predator Raptor
Predator Phoenix
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been selling tubes on ebay for 16 years. I am always looking to buy tubes. My email is [email protected] -Send me an email with some pics and maybe I can get an idea of what you have. I may want them myself and I would make you a fair offer

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My dad was a ham radio operator for years. When he passed we sold off all his equipment and supplies. I found 2 of these tubes and kept them because they are so awesome. Eimac 3-500 Z. Two of these powered his SB-220 linear amplifier. They put out 1000 watts on AM and 2000 watts PEP on sideband, which is the maximum allowed. I'd like to make a display box of some sort, get a transformer and see if I can figure out how to light the elements. Gary

Eimac 3-500 Z.JPG

Last edited:

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like this tube
robot.jpg

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could check with a guitar amplifier repair person in your area that works on tube amps. They should be able to provide some info. You could also look up someone who knows something about ham radios, and maybe if there's a hamfest scheduled soon.
You could start by sorting the tubes yourself with some online research at tube depot or Dougs tubes.
For example,
Sort out the power tubes: 6L6, 6BQ5, KT 66, etc
Sort the driver tubes: 12AX7, AT7, AY7, AU7, 6SN7s, etc.
Also sort the rectifiers: 5U4, 5Y3, 5AR4, etc
You could also search for tube data at Frank's electron tube pages
Frank's Electron tube Pages (tubedata.org)

Don’t forget the EL34s for the older Marshall’s Rock on!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread