Do you trust your neighbor to own a sword?

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I'm up in Chequamegon looking about and fishing or arrowhead hunting, i most always carry a small sword with me, that sword being a Jimenez J.A. 22LR. More of a dagger than a sword. It's kind of like a rattle snake rattle. When you hear me rack the the puny slide, stand down. Sure you might get me in a rush but I will bite the hell out of you if you try to rob me.

The thing is some people get real, real nervous when they notice that the cell phone looking thing on my hip is a firearm. But most of them don't notice at all. It's funny because I meet people wearing, carrying , or concealing firearms frequently. Maybe not everyday that I notice somebody with a gun but it's not uncommon. It does not bother me because if we both got teeth we can both bite each other, as distasteful and wretched as that might be. We are equal.

Now then, noting that we each have equal capability of killing each other is a good thing IMO. I think it garners respect between strangers. I mean, I could kill you and you could kill me, but why would we want to do a thing like that?

So do you keep a "sword" handy? What is it for?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No need to, most are civil-the numbers speak for themselves in the rural. If still living in the GTA-well that might be a whole different topic as it seems there's now too many and not enough grey matter.

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"GTA" ?

Greater Toronto area?

Or is that GTA stand for General Tactical Assault?

I don't know tactics. But if somebody tries to steal my stuff I will shoot you in the liver. Nothing personal,it is not that I care for my belongings so much as I care for my neighbor's belongings. We don't won't to live in a society without property rights. And, if you will steal from me you will undoubtedly steal from my friends and neighbors. Sorry for the hole in you gut, you shoulda thought of that before you tried to steal.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If my neighbor walked around with a sword and a gun, I'd assume he had serious anger issues and needed to have both taken away from him ASAP...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

I carry 99.9% of the time, LOL, even as I sit here typing there is a .45 Judge in the armrest of my easy chair I am sitting in. Only time I don't carry when I am detecting is when I am hunting in the surf over waist deep.

I had a friend mugged hunting Daytona Beach at dusk as he was leaving the beach. He was able to fight the 2 thugs off with his scoop, but still ended up in hospital with a concussion from the first blow to the back of his head when they jumped him. Another member her was mugged in south Florida night hunting and they took everything he had on him including his detector, scoop, wallet, jewelry.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Tennessee nearly everybody is packing heat, and nobody thinks anything about it.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
crashbandicoot:

Then America should be the most polite society on earth.

4% of the world's population.

40% of the world's privately-owned guns.

22% of the world's incarcerated - since 2013, USA is #1.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are guns really the core of the problem? If somebody wants to kill you they could just as easily stab you to death, which interestingly enough happens more often then rifle shootings. Shouldn't knives be the focus?- poor aim, I guess.

Violence is a people problem. Violence has little to nothing to do with mechanical devices.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm always packing my 45LC around the property along with a Bowie knife. no man or beast is going to get me in the woods.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Duckshot:

"Just as easily?" I don't think so.

I very much doubt the Las Vegas killer could have murdered over fifty people and injured some eight hundred more with a bayonet, sword or hanger or espontoon.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Book, haven't seen you in quite a while! We went some rounds here years ago. It's good to see you again! Stay safe my friend.

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry every day. It’s no different than having a fire extinguisher or a spare tire on my vehicle. You don’t need it till you need it.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
DeepseekerADS:

Thank you very much for your kind words! I went through a major health issue a few years ago and it bent my sabre a bit.

I'm back and kicking - just not quite as high.

It's a pleasure to be back in touch with you!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
As far as being strapped, it's been several months now since there was a knock on my door after midnight. But it did happen.

All I have ever wanted was to just be left alone, and they even came up here. Isolated as I am, they came up here.

Won't be answering my door anymore if I'm not strapping.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
DeepseekerADS:

The Old Bookaroo

Danged Book :) Good to have you back!!! Stay with us and kick my butt when I deserve it! We be what we be my friend, and I am absolutely glad to have you back here again!! We need your perspective here. Yep, I am a true blue conservative - but we all got blind spots. We be what we be.....

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duckshot:

"Just as easily?" I don't think so.

I very much doubt the Las Vegas killer could have murdered over fifty people and injured some eight hundred more with a bayonet, sword or hanger or espontoon.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Mmmhmm. And how many of those fifty some people were allowed the capacity to shoot back?

The venue was a "gun-free zone".

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guns, knives, swords, pliers, cast iron skillet, power drill... etc..

I don't see how it is any of my business what tools my neighbor has or uses as long as the neighbor isn't using that tool to cause harm without provocation.

I do get a little annoyed if they forget to invite me over when they grill steaks though; it is cruel to let the delicious smell waft through the woods while unaccompanied with an invitation to share.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Duckshot:

A "gun-free zone?" Like the NRA National Convention, the Republican National Convention, and many Trump hotels?

I very much doubt anyone could have stood on the ground and shot up 30 stories to nail the killer. That would be a rare accomplishment by an expert sniper with an elephant gun.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread