NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have about 15 old detectors in my workshop right now that need various repairs, and one I just opened up has obviously been tinkered with in the past. I can see where some capacitors have been replaced, but it still doesn't work.... I'd love to have schematics to check what the values of those caps should be, and and to make sure other parts are correct as well. Plus it would help figure out what is doing what so I don't have to spend hours reverse engineering something just to find out it was something simple to fix.

Specifically I'm hoping for schematics from :
Compass Judge 2 and 6
Garrett ADS and Groundhog
Bounty Hunter Red Baron series
AH Electronics

I know it's a long shot but if anyone has any leads I would sure appreciate it

Thanks, Ken

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some images RB7 and Judge2 hope they help.
Maybe try to check online for the patent schematics for the others if you can't get any info from others sources.
I thought that Garrett and maybe other manufacturers had their patents listed in some of the brochures or general information.
RB7840.jpg judge 2 schematic.jpg
Jon 8-) :cat::occasion14: :headbang:

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some images RB7 and Judge2 hope they help.
Maybe try to check online for the patent schematics for the others if you can't get any info from others sources.
I thought that Garrett and maybe other manufacturers had their patents listed in some of the brochures or general information.
View attachment 1917456 View attachment 1917457

Those do help a bit, looks like someone else had the same problem and did their own reverse engineering. It's a shame they didn't list voltages at key spots because that would make testing a lot easier. If I end up having to do the same I'll try to add to them.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ken, Geotech has various schematics scattered about. I think there's either an RB7 or an RB5 schematic. Allen Hametta had a couple of patents with schematics that were close to the original AH Pro and the later Super Pro V.

BTW, the 840 schematic Jon posted is nowhere close to the RB7.

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ken, Geotech has various schematics scattered about. I think there's either an RB7 or an RB5 schematic. Allen Hametta had a couple of patents with schematics that were close to the original AH Pro and the later Super Pro V.

I have an RB5 on my bench right now that I suspect has bad pots, or they're just filthy inside... I need to dig into it a bit deeper. But I have an RB3 which has a chip that completely detonated. I suspect someone used two 9v batteries instead of the battery packs and fried it, it also took out a transistor and a resistor next to it... Those I can see what they need to be but the chip is cooked and all the numbers are gone.

ooops.jpg ooops2.jpg
I'd love to know what this chip is/was so I can replace it and get this one running

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an RB5 on my bench right now that I suspect has bad pots, or they're just filthy inside... I need to dig into it a bit deeper. But I have an RB3 which has a chip that completely detonated. I suspect someone used two 9v batteries instead of the battery packs and fried it, it also took out a transistor and a resistor next to it... Those I can see what they need to be but the chip is cooked and all the numbers are gone.

View attachment 1917986 View attachment 1917987
I'd love to know what this chip is/was so I can replace it and get this one running
Can you tell how many pins there are on the backside? And based on the year of the machine maybe you can decipher it.
Jon 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I can find the NC555 timer IC was used in a LOT of detectors of that period. But I don't come across a schematic for a RB3 or RB5.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lol that's what came up when I searched for an RB7 :tongue3:

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I can find the NC555 timer IC was used in a LOT of detectors of that period. But I don't come across a schematic for a RB3 or RB5.
Could be an op amp too, looks similar to the 8 pin chip on the right side of the board.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turns out it is the same chip as the other one, I've got one ordered along with the fried transistor so once those get here this machine should be good as new
Cool, I thought so!
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat::occasion14: :headbang:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
555 timer and op amps takes me back to electronic school in the late 70's. Good luck with your repair.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EXCUSE me but ALL you guys posting Pictures of schematics of OLD machines are FANTASTIC . I do not need any but from the bottom of my heart i thank you for being a member here on Treasure.net !!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread