Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep up the fight and all the best! I quit in my early 30's after smoking from my early teen days, woke up one day and had no smokes and no way to get to the store so pulled butts out of the ashtray, then it hit me hard, cigs controlled me for too many years. So took a shower, had breakfast, went out and sat on the front porch and let the sun hit me the warmth was feeling good and said to myself, "today is the day i quit" and i did, unfortunately, my wife didn't quit and today suffers terribly from lung disease, COPD actually, every day is a struggle for her, and retired so i could take care of her fulltime and! tobacco has taken a toll on our lives and will continue to do so. It breaks my heart when i see young people smoking, not a habit to easily shed.

Tough to read about your wife’s struggles.... my heart goes out to you guys

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post. I smoke like a train and always have an excuse for either not quitting or for going back to it. I put on weight and according to my wife I become irritable. There have been times through the years that I've quit and she's suggested that I go buy a pack, that's how much of an azz I become over such a destructive and expensive habit. Your post is inspiring me to give it another whirl, I'm tired of it, they taste bad to me at this point, and I need to just put them down.

Does your employer offer a cessation program? Or your insurance?....
My company offers quit for life.... I’m know they can help anyone, regardless of the means.
Good luck...and not gonna lie, my doctor said quitting smoking is like quitting heroin. BS. Quitting heroin was so much easier.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I miss the big old seeded watermelons that tasted great
we can not get them around here - we get the tasteless round seedless ones
a Walmart bout an hour from me got a skid of seeded by mistake last yr
I was in heaven for 2 weeks

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on overcoming a terribly addictive habit. My first day smoke free was September 22, 2006, and I never looked back. I remember how hard it was, and I know what you are going through. Just remember, it gets a little better everyday.

You've done a great thing for yourself and your family.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I quit one day while I was at work as an Inhalation Therapist. I looked over at the ashtray with my now burned down cigarette that left a long grey ash attached and realized that my habit was as long as it took me to think about having a cigarette, stick it in my mouth and light it.
I get distracted easily and knew I would just forget about it in a few seconds if I didn’t have a pack with me. This worked immediately and forever. That was 50 years ago. Never smoked again! Good luck Dave! You can do this.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on quitting Dave! Thoughts and prayers that you keep the quit going are with you.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember checking into a motel and the lady at the desk kinda seemed disgusted with me. As I headed out I saw her through the window shaking her head and spaying the area I stood with air freshener. That's how bad I smelled driving for hours and puffing for miles down the road. I'm thinking I now got 22 years now since the last cigarette. I'm preying for ya and believe me a time will come when that sweet smell of other smoking will eventually smell to you like hell.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great post. I smoke like a train and always have an excuse for either not quitting or for going back to it. I put on weight and according to my wife I become irritable. There have been times through the years that I've quit and she's suggested that I go buy a pack, that's how much of an azz I become over such a destructive and expensive habit. Your post is inspiring me to give it another whirl, I'm tired of it, they taste bad to me at this point, and I need to just put them down.

THIS I understand.

I once quit for an entire year (9/10-9/11), and after 12 months I had turned
into the north end of a southbound horse. Almost ended my marriage to the
most patient lady on the planet; all the while me not having a clue as to why I
was being such a yutz. Smoked just one cigarette, and within 5 minutes I was
back to my old, calm, cheery self. Wife and I haven't had a cross word since.

Told my doc I was done trying to quit..the price was just too high. Both my
parents died from smoking related diseases, and odds are I will too. So be it.
At this point I'd rather live 20 more years and enjoy them than live 25 more
years and be a lonely, miserable wretch the whole time.

Still, if you can quit the damn things and get over it, then do it.. respect-062.gif

Last edited:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congrats to you Dave! I really like the list you made and I'm sure you'll think of many more reasons as time goes on.
Lists like that are important as it's a step beyond the defence mechanisms that keeps you tied into smoking.
Each day that goes by, you'll see how much you DON"T want to smoke and then you'll barely ever think about it.
Wait until someone near you has a smoke and then you smell them and think "Holy shite, did I stink!"
With all this virus crap going on, it's nice to hear some good news for a change! :occasion14:
WTG, from another Dave who quit.
:icon_thumleft:

BugOutBob

Jan 20, 2018
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job man! Something that helped me quit that I reccomend, look up mint pouches online. They are just pure mint (no tobacco) in a pouch, but it gave me something to fiddle with when I had my cravings.

23Scooter

Greenie
Mar 23, 2021
Westmoreland County, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, CTX 3030, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Last one on 2/12/14. Quit once for 5 years, but my wife was still a heavy smoker. Started smoking again because it was putting a strain on the marriage. I’d tell people when they mentioned me smoking again “it was cheaper than a divorce”. 3 years after that I was diagnosed with bladder cancer. Quit smoking then and there. About a year after that found out that she was cheating on me and divorced her anyways. Live and learn �� Very happy smoke and cancer free now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions