My question is, if the mega treasures are in ocean, where are the inland treasures

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe most inland treasure is sparse and the result of a drop or otherwise lost. A quarter here, a gold ring there, etc... Add it all up and the total is immense, but scattered all over the place. There are rare exceptions though, but even then I believe most of those are the results of some miser who trusted nobody at all (burying or hiding their life's savings). Most people were poor or relatively poor - the little bit they managed to squirrel away amounted to a few dollars or so.

When I was young it was somewhat common for the older generations to put aside a bit of money - just in case. A few dollars tucked in a book, hidden in the wall, etc.. Some buried a bit of money in their flower bed or some other easily recoverable location.

I had family/friends who owned quite large ranches - thousands and thousands of acres, with a few old abandoned homes still standing. The homes (for the most part) had been abandoned during the dust bowl - the occupants simply moved away, leaving most of their furniture (etc..) in the house. As kids we would explore those old abandoned homes and it wasn't unusual to find a handful of change that had been forgotten when the people moved away. Sometimes we'd find change taped to the bottom of a drawer, or a bill or two tucked inside a Bible/book. We never found more than a dollar or two at any one house (usually nothing at all) - unless one counts the raccoons we shot/trapped. For some reason raccoons seemed to love living in those old abandoned houses. A few homes showed ample evidence of cattle frequenting the inside of the abandoned home too.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And to state the obvious, the reason so many Ship treasures have been found is because they were real, documented, courses plotted, goods often insured and with documented manifests of their contents so when they went down, it's just a matter of finding them.

Where as Pirate and Gangster Treasures are mostly the manifestation's of one's imagination, spread via print, radio and TV into the homes of many a fanciful and delighted adult and child alike.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to add, if you look at what treasures in the US have actually been found, most weren't the loot of some legendary gang or pirate, they were completely unknown and the work of usually one individual. One that recently came to light was the saddleback ridge coin hoard. Several coffee cans full of gold coins. Though not definitively proven, it's speculated they were stolen by a Mint employee who was evidently squirreling them away for a rainy day. Just a regular Joe Blow, no cape, no sword, no six shooter a blazin' a trail across the West....

Here is an example of what you said GoDeep:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddle_Ridge_Hoard

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread