My question is, if the mega treasures are in ocean, where are the inland treasures

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes we understand the world is 70% water and the old countries such as Spain and Portugal to name a few sail the mighty ships that came to America hundreds of years ago with cargo unlimited of coins, jewelry etc . Is it possible that mega loads of treasures are buried in the ground that nobody knows. I mean there has to be, as hard as it is to locate such in the deep waters, plus surface it. Why don’t you here about inland treasure at least some , not every ship sank, yes hundreds or thousands did, but what about inland anyone know, thanks

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably not. Seems someone always knew where they were and went and got them not that long after they were hidden. That doesn't mean the kids next door didn't hide a jar of grandad's silver dollars, however.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dam Smokey let me ask you a deep question that nobody can answer, how much do we really no about lost treasure status, what we no, I mean it took hundreds of years with technology to find ships that got destroyed that went down. I have a curious mind but I will until I’m dead. What did you ever wonder you care to share your concerning the lost or buried treasures

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well first, describe "treasure". If its from a Spanish or French or English or Portuguese ship, don't bother looking for it because you will spend all the money in court. That's the 21st century way. If it's the wedding ring lost at the park, you're good. That jar of coins granddad hid, you're good unless you're trespassing to get it. Most treasure tales are just that - tales. Want some money? Make some wise investments and forget about hitting the "big one". Seems no one ever does. Just a waste of time. Some of them would have been found by now. Even the Nazi treasures they hid were ratted out and found. Maybe an old stolen painting or such is still out there, seems one turns up every 20 years or so, but really? Find a good site, dig your heart out and enjoy yourself.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not by no means hoping to find anything significant, I get a thrill by the items I’ve listed previously. My mind was thinking yes these times, so other than robbing trains and banks from the trails. Are those true Smokey did horse back require buried the monies or did they rob go live in the woods and spend it or did they have to leave some behind,

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In "circulation". Gold bullion in banks worldwide. Industrial uses of gold. Gold in religious shrines.

Why do you think no one wanted it if it is so precious? People like gold and like to have it. Not bury it. Maybe every 50 years when a king died some went down with him. Sure, lots has been lost accidently at sea. But relatively little in tombs. Most were looted to put the gold . . . in circulation.

Gold buys stuff! Folks like stuff.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pirates and robbers basically spent what they took. Now someone in Europe occasionally finds a jug of Roman coins, at which point the government steps in and takes it. Sad, but true. I'd rather find a minie ball any day. No one will come to claim it.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what determines the evaluation of gold or diamonds for example , the so called rarity of finding it or the actual mining it. Heck other minerals might be undervalued to, what’s the deal who determined a person or industry well the person is the industry,

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh that’s another question they don’t tell us how much gold is in circulation, or held in Fort Knox or in Smokey’s house, lol

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL all my "gold" is in dividend bearing stocks...most everything else I have already given to my adult children.

Last edited:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in a part of Arkansas that is spiderwebbed by rivers,Miss., White, Ark.,Red,to name the major ones.many large bayous and smaller rivers,all of which at one time had major steam boat traffic and many wrecks.According to research some of these had some significant treasure on board,not millions but several of them lost safes containing thousands.The problem is that few of these wrecks were well documented as to location,most being characterized as about 20 miles below Little Rock or 5 miles above the mouth of the White and so on.Add in the significant change in the channels of these streams,along with man made navigation works and you begin to see how difficult it would be to actually find one.Most of the land along the banks of the streams is privately owned or in the case of the White,bordered by Federal lands.A fairly significant battle occured near St.Charles on the White and for once is pretty well documented as to location but the area falls within the White River Wildlife Refuge.Given the mud and silt bottoms of the rivers,it would be a major undertaking to actually find and recover one.I figure a safe would sink pretty deep.Just my two cents.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the cost versus payout, less what the courts decide stops most folks in their tracks.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do the people really own, nothing when you pay property taxes you never truely own a dam thing. I don’t want to here we need to collect taxes, we are brainwashed they tell us **** smelled good we believe. Folks nobody owns anything oh and the money you own is dam near valueless

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pirates and robbers basically spent what they took.

This right here. The Jesse James gang is a classic example of this. If you actually take their robberies (which are well documented, including the amounts they took), the number of people in their gang at any one time and the amount of time over which they committed the robberies, they literally could have made a greater amount working honest jobs and pooling their resources together. These legends of old often lived heist to heist on a road littered with an expensive taste for gambling, booze and human fulfillment.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about that,

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoDeep has it right. There is a show on Netflix I think called the Pirates. Booze and illicit affairs. That's where the money went.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokeythecat has it right :-)

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with Smokey on this one, most treasure legends in the states are exactly that, manufactured tales of lost treasures that have even been further embellished since their conception. Tales of lost treasure were quite popular and even useful back in the day, they sold newspapers, inspired land speculation, etc., etc. Little to no truth in any of them.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It doesn't matter what the cause of anything that would bring riches robbery-or digging gold.
The next town would reap the benefits as it does today from the pocket rich.
The gaming/whore/drinking houses out numbered the riches of the pockets.
It has been well documented in every gold rush-the houses of one's sin would be many-and most if not all left with empty the pockets as they arrived.

In adding up all the decades of family detecting/ghost town/digging not one stash. Just little nibbles, a hammered gold leaf, a few coins.

The rarity of even a jar full is just that-A Rare Find.
See a few on the Ytube, and many of those are purely a cow flopping click bait type of plants.
Though many of us still dream the dream of getting that one big hit, where the soils are littered with keepers when the shovel turns the soil-at least I still hope for one after 5 decades of turning dirt.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to add, if you look at what treasures in the US have actually been found, most weren't the loot of some legendary gang or pirate, they were completely unknown and the work of usually one individual. One that recently came to light was the saddleback ridge coin hoard. Several coffee cans full of gold coins. Though not definitively proven, it's speculated they were stolen by a Mint employee who was evidently squirreling them away for a rainy day. Just a regular Joe Blow, no cape, no sword, no six shooter a blazin' a trail across the West....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread