Detectorists Courtesy ....

bill17042

Dec 1, 2007
Lebanon Co. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II, Kellyco pinpointer
Detectorists Courtesy ....

I hunted a park in Eustis Florida, and some nitwit, with a detector ,put the dug trash back in the hole !
I put all that crap in my bag and throw it in the trash.
I don't know what other people do with theirs.
I SUGGEST placing the items too large to carry away ( ALUMINUM CANS, STEEL HARDWARE, ETC. ) be placed at the base of nearby trees,which is what I do .
This way they are visible and they can be disposed of by others,OR RECYCLED or whatever.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Re: Detectorists Courtesy ....

i haul my trash out with me as well. the only thing i do different is big stuff i rebury. think about it, by leaving it on the surface you are littering in a way. ;) especially since so many people arent big on picking up trash.

999slvrfx

Nov 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/sunray probe,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I carry all of my trash out with me plus any I find laying around the site
left behind by others.
I stress that everyone I hunt with do the same.
Leave it better than you found it.

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006

999slvrfx said:
I carry all of my trash out with me plus any I find laying around the site
left behind by others.
I stress that everyone I hunt with do the same.
Leave it better than you found it.

I totally agree.
I carry out ALL my dug items. I have a 5 gallon bucket in my truck, and when it gets full, I take it to the recycle center so that the metal can be reused. Beats tossing it in the trash only to end up back in the ground, at some landfill!

L

LandStar

There should be NOTHING too big to carry out, unless your more than 1/2 mile into the woods and have found some 25 pound piece of metal or something...then yes, I would prolly rebury it. Biggest junk item I have found so far was a manhole cover...believe you me, it DID come out of the field...It took 2 people to do it, but it wound up in a metal recycling dumpster at a nearby car body shop. I imagine there are times when this would just not be an option, so by all means, rebury it...In my opinion, your not doing any more harm than someone else did...But, NEVER rebury pull-tabs, screw caps, old matchbox cars, soda cans, ect...These items you bring out and dispose of properly...Even if you do not think your not being watched, you never know who is lurking and peering at you...I ducked behind a tree to relieve my bladder once when I was out deer hunting years ago in the middle of what I thought was nowhere, and all of a sudden, this guy with his dog come down the logging road right past me...So you NEVER know....Plus, how would you like it if I came to your favorite hunting spot, and left all my junk behind for you to dig up a second or third time...Think about it....

Good Hunting,

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If I dig it, and it's trash, I always take it out with me. . . just as a matter of courtesy. Plus, after I've removed a lot of shallow trash at a site and return a day or two later, I've found some good stuff that I would of missed if I left the trash buried in the hole ;)

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

I never rebury anything. If I dig it it goes with me, to either a trash can or the recycle center

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I carry out all dug and surface trash I find unless I'm in the woods. If I'm in the woods and find large metal items I will rebury it or leave it somewhere that I can pick it up when I'm hiking out. In parks I will pick up all the trash I can find including plastic and paper. Once the pouch gets too heavy I look for the closest garbage can to lighten the load. When I get home I dump all my found trash into my recycle bin which gets picked up every two weeks. Since starting metal detecting I even pick up pull tabs when I'm walking in parking lots just so I don't have to dig it up one day.

Happy hunting and recycling.

NJ

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark

sniffer said:
I never rebury anything. If I dig it it goes with me, to either a trash can or the recycle center
I do the same thing Sniffer.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

If I pull it out, it goes with me...

HOWEVER... there are some huge items I never finished digging - and they are right there covered over...

... sometimes it stays where it lays.

Ima Swinger

Apr 8, 2007
Porter, Texas
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 - VibraProbe

I've never heard of reburying trash. Doesn't seem right to me.
If you go through the trouble to dig it up, be responsible enough to finish the job, and haul it out.
I'm not looking to change the world here, I just think it's common sense.

Ima

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Zesty Elf Dude said:

HOWEVER... there are some huge items I never finished digging - and they are right there covered over...

i found a car door one day 3 feet down i was like WAHHH the hell in a corn field ???

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

I'm guilty of throwing/placing crushed cans at the base of trees when my pouch is full, but I take everything I can. I would definately not rebury anything that I was fooled into digging in the first place. That item is the enemy for sure. In any event, 99% of junk I dig gets put in the pouch and even photographed!

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax

I must have brought back tons of cr@p as well as written it. I feel proud when some one stops and says found anything normally I pull out sharp rusty pieces of metal and often think what could have happened had I left it there as I most often hunt woodchips.

Yes its nice to find cool stuff but even cooler in my eyes to have saved someone an injury.
Thats not to say I would turn down a nice gold necklace or ring.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

strike it rich said:
I must have brought back tons of cr@p as well as written it. I feel proud when some one stops and says found anything normally I pull out sharp rusty pieces of metal and often think what could have happened had I left it there as I most often hunt woodchips.

Yes its nice to find cool stuff but even cooler in my eyes to have saved someone an injury.
Thats not to say I would turn down a nice gold necklace or ring.

Wish non-MD'ers would do that ;)

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

EDDE said:
Zesty Elf Dude said:

i found a car door one day 3 feet down i was like WAHHH the hell in a corn field ???

I found a whole motorcycle in a drained lake years ago. Couldnt quite fit that one in the junk side of my pouch. :D The XLT actually said motorcycle on the ID screen! ;D

B

BIG61AL

If it comes out of the hole it doesn't go back in!. i do have the pleasure if detecting after some nitwit did not fill his holes or even bother to pick up all the pull tabs he found. I just picked up his trash and refilled his holes.

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005

All of my trash comes out, if at all possible. If not, it gets laid up beside the tree until my sons can get to it and carry it out, usu. the next weekend!

However, I sincerely believe that the info in Hillbilly Bob's book is accurate. There are deliberately buried items used as pointers or clues for buried treasure. It doesn't have to be KGC or outlaw. Anybody familiar with a compass and surveying knew about this back in the "old days." A lot of men in SW VA, E KY, and W WVA were "conscripted" to work on roads and so helped with surveying, etc. These oldtimers knew that large iron objects would "register" on a compass.

Just something to keep in mind. I don't metal detect now without a camera, compass, GPS, and if at all possible, maps of the area.

Cavers5

badboy

Jun 28, 2006
pa

Tell him thats not the way its done. Carry all your trash out with you. The more trash out of the way the better deeper coins show up tell him that because its true

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread