Need advice on retrieving treasure from the bottom of an old swimming hole

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
Here's the scenerio...........
A very active Swimming hole during the 40's and 50's. Approximately 12 feet deep at the location where there used to be a diving board. We've attempted to detect it using underwater gear, but unsuccessful. The problem, the bottom is soooo "mucky", that it's difficult to even know where the bottom is. Zero visibility, heavy vegetation, etc, etc.

Our thoughts are to bring the bottom of the lake to the surface to screen it, but we don't currently have the resources. I'm sure there's some dredging machine that could do this, but we don't want to wrap a small fortune up in renting/buying one. We might consider building one if someone could provide some plans??

Right now, our thoughts are to simply take 5 gallon buckets, drag them across the bottom, and haul them up. A little primitive, but I think it might work.

Does anyone have any better ideas/thoughts on this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Jules

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
julesjunk,

Google the words "Drag Line Bucket" (To save me explaining to you). It needs to be made of something heavier than a plastic bucket. If you can't get on the other side of the pond / stream whatever rig a mooring with a turn around pulley. (To pull the DL back out into the water a little beyond the hole.) Attach a handcranked or electric winch to a tree on the shore and start pulling in the goodies! Joe

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you considered pumping the water out? Drain it?

OP
OP
J

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
JOE(USA) said:
"Drag Line Bucket" (To save me explaining to you). It needs to be made of something heavier than a plastic bucket.

Thanks for the lead.
Based on the pics from a google search, a tow truck would be ideal. Too bad I don't have access to one.

Not sure how to build a tripod or "hoist". I'm assuming the resistence would be too great to simply drag the bucket across the bottom and up the bank, even with an electric wench. I suppose some experimenting is in my future.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
julesjunk,

As long as you can get the winch a little higher than the water level you won't have any problem and will not need a hoist. The secret is to rig the bridle on the bucket so it's adjustable. That way the bucket will dig in just the right amount. This is simple to rig up and it will work. Joe

OP
OP
J

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
JOE(USA) said:
julesjunk,

That way the bucket will dig in just the right amount. This is simple to rig up and it will work. Joe

Thanks Joe.
I was looking at some of the google pics of the buckets. Shouldn't be too hard to rig it for adjustment. Will have to noise around for an appropriate bucket. I have a couple metal 5 gallon buckets that may work. Will need to reinforce the handle. Maybe weld a chain onto it with some steel flat stock running across the bottom and up both sides.

Regards,
Jules

OP
OP
J

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
wreckdiver1715 said:
Sounds like a job for a scuba diver with an underwater metal detector.

We tried that Tom. Visibility at zero, a high amount of vegetation, and a very soft bottom left us going home with empty tanks, and empty pockets. However, I am 100% sure there are items to be found, as the grounds surrounding the lake produced several silver, and a couple golds.........

tgravatt

Dec 21, 2005
Pierre, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Hey Jules,

My question would be, how much are you willing to invest into this venture?

I would suggest looking into a portable dredge.

Many people use these types of dredges for gold prospecting in deep water filled holes such as you have described.

I am posting a link here to a site that has quite a lot of information and "how to's" of dredging.

http://www.goldfeverprospecting.com/drforgoin.html

Basically, the idea is to float a "sluice box" on the water and using the gas mechanical pump, simply use suction at the bottom of the swimming hole to suck up all the contents of the swimming hole and pump them into the floating dredge and thus the sluice box, where all of the contents from the bottom are revealed in the sluice box.

You may even be able to buy a used one on ebay or some place.

Sounds like you have your fun and adventure cut out for you.

Thanks for the interesting question.

Happy hunting and good luck.

tgravatt

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
89-1.jpg
coin dredge

detectoraddict

Aug 3, 2004
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, DFX, F-75
Heck, I would take my ATV there with my electric winch which is on it and toss me a weighted bucket on it and drag that sucker back. You can rent or buy portable winches and attach it to your vehicle or a tree near by. Where theres a will theres a way!

OP
OP
J

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
Yammy Elf said:
You can rip out the growth/vegetation, sink sectional markers and either fan or blow past the silt/muck and work a grid pattern. Move the sectional mark, lather, rinse and repeat.

Guess I'm not sure what you mean by sectional markers?
I like the concept. Though where the swim hole is located makes easy access to "air" difficult. I suppose I could rent several bottles. The area we want to focus on is around 10-12 foot deep, though the entire area should eventually be checked.

OP
OP
J

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
tgravatt said:
Hey Jules,

My question would be, how much are you willing to invest into this venture?
At this point, trying to keep cost down to a minimum. I already spend more on this hobby than my wife considers sane. :) I'm somewhat of a "jackoff" of all trades, so anything I can build, I will. I know the dredge is the way to go, but they are probably more than I want to spend.

Thanks for the web link. Will study it soon.

Regards,
Jules

OP
OP
J

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
Yammy Elf said:
Four sticks of white 2" PVC, four 2" PVC elbows. Fill the pipes with sand and use the elbows to make a big square. Now you've got a 10' square section to work. When you are done, pick up one end of the square and flip it over to a new section to work. ;)

I like the idea of knowing exactly where you have and have not been. The thoght of working in zero visibility sounds a lot like work though........

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In this senario I would choose a Hookah set up over scuba gear. If it is only 12 feet deep it would be rather easy to set up a Hookah system to work the area. Much longer bottom times to work the area and it is cheaper to use this over tanks even with the high fuel costs now a days.

Good luck

NJ

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N.J.THer said:
In this senario I would choose a Hookah set up over scuba gear. If it is only 12 feet deep it would be rather easy to set up a Hookah system to work the area. Much longer bottom times to work the area and it is cheaper to use this over tanks even with the high fuel costs now a day
also a partner and a safety line need not be said :-X

OP
OP
J

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
N.J.THer said:
In this senario I would choose a Hookah set up over scuba gear.
Based on my google search, seems Hookahs are far more popular for smoking various leafs than sucking up the bottom of a lake :) Adding the word "dredge" iliminates the smoking aspects.

That would help with air tanks/dive times. Still, a unit large enough to suck pure "muck" can't be cheap to rent, OR readily available here in the midwest. I could be wrong though. There must be several uses for the equipment besides finding gold.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
J

julesjunk

Nov 13, 2006
cosmic said:
Hooka is the way to go.. This site will give you the info you'll need for building a dredge..

If you have enough hose you could run it to the shore in into a basket in shallow water instead of a sluice and floats.. Just keep it as close to, or under the surface a bit.. So all you need is a pump, jet log, hoses and a wire basket to dump into..
Ray
Great Site.......
I'm quickly leaning toward "sucking up the bottom", however my research, thus far (and it's early in the research game), shows all the examples sucking up ROCK bottom. I've yet to come across an example of sucking pure "muck" up. I'm concerned about how much "horse power" it will take to pull this off. I have no idea how deep the targets might be since we didn't find any in our initial attempt. (I know they are there, as the area around the water produced many finds). I'm thinking I might need to do a test dig, and bring up X inches of bottom to see where the sweet spot might be??

Thanks for your response,
Jules

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread