Does the speed at which you pass through a metal detector effect its sensitivity?

SanahGrat

Aug 9, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Say I have a 20g iron nail in my pocket, and this is right around the threshold of a metal detector in a security line. Would it matter if I ran through the detector at top speed or walked through the detector slowly?

In my mind there are two considerations. One, running through may give the detector a short enough signal that the software filters it out as an anomaly (here I'm talking about speeds attainable by humans, I'm not trying to say that the piece of metal is going so fast that it exceeds the sampling rate of the detector, just that there are software controls to exclude false positives but in this case they would be filtering out a true positive.)

Second, going through faster actually will generate a larger signal (like a magnet passing through a coil more quickly generates a larger current), so it's the person who walks through very slowly that is not detected.

I am asking these questions with little understanding of the engineering or physics behind metal detectors, and was hoping you all could provide some insight.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it's manufactured like an 1980,s bounty hunter Red Barron the faster ya go the better the signal :laughing7:

I like that question :tongue3: won't matter if ya got metal on ya or not. if you run through at top speed,
someone will chase ya :laughing9:

thanks for the morning chuckle :coffee2:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it's manufactured like an 1980,s bounty hunter Red Barron the faster ya go the better the signal :laughing7:

I like that question :tongue3: won't matter if ya got metal on ya or not. if you run through at top speed,
someone will chase ya :laughing9:

thanks for the morning chuckle :coffee2:

And thank you Jeff...:laughing9::occasion14:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Either way you'll get nailed for sure :laughing7:

attachment.php

Attachments

• F6E82D44-62BF-4875-BEAD-660AE77013B1.jpeg
    F6E82D44-62BF-4875-BEAD-660AE77013B1.jpeg
    28.8 KB · Views: 175

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They must have read S_G's post :laughing7:

is that a Double Dare line ?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They must have read S_G's post :laughing7:

is that a Double Dare line ?

It's like at the airport scanner-BEEP!

"You have a choice of the body scan-or a full body pat down search sir"

Oh please the full body pat down search-I've been feeling lonely lately-Oh BTW can you do it slowly please?" :laughing7:

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to get nailed, you might as well go hammered.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
If joke time is over, perhaps one of you experts can give this new person a straight answer. I think he wants to know about the speed of his swing.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Security walk-thru detectors are motion sensitive. If you go through very (VERY) slowly it won't detect a cannon. If you go through too fast (usually VERY fast) then modest targets will get missed, but probably not that cannon. Security detectors are designed to NIJ 06.02 standards which specify a target speed range of 0.2m/s up to 2m/s, with several specified standard target types.

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Security walk-thru detectors are motion sensitive. If you go through very (VERY) slowly it won't detect a cannon. If you go through too fast (usually VERY fast) then modest targets will get missed, but probably not that cannon. Security detectors are designed to NIJ 06.02 standards which specify a target speed range of 0.2m/s up to 2m/s, with several specified standard target types.

So bring a wooden walker and hobble thru very slowly?

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
But alas ... this very topic was covered exhaustively on a different forum. Entirely different. And the answer is hold your retractable pen high in your raised hand and yell 'allah akbar' as you click away ... and it won't be long ....

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when doing revenue protection, we'd get bored at the grocery stores. So we'd grab sheets of the tags hold a tag over our head & walk right through no alarm. This evolved into seeing how many we could get through with. Each alarm had to be logged by the front end manager. When one particularly nasty manager was working, we'd stick em under the carts. Best night? 57 alarms and two real ones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread