Lost Loot in New Mexico

Egaprp

Aug 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I?m new to this site and need some help in finding a story. About 20-30 years ago a story was posted in a treasure magazine titled Lost Loot. The story was about a couple wranglers that robbed a coach or bank for gold coins. One of the guys killed his partner in the Jemez mountains in New Mexico and felt guilty about the killing of his partner. He took off on horse back to Mexico where he meet a priest and confessed about killing his partner. He also gave a description of how he killed his partner and where he had buried his partners Half of the gold coins. Is was near a cabin and a stream in the Jemez mountains of New Mexico. Does this ring a bell to anyone? I sure would like to find that story again. Thank you for interest and wish you happy hunting.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TreasureNet!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you killed your partner, why would you bury his gold? You would take his gold, not bury it. I would anyway. Gary

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet! Some of these stories start out with a rumor just that "a story" and over the years grow into a legend ?

Connor McCloud

Aug 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had decided to bury the gold I would probably tell no one, and I would bury it deep enough maybe several feet down for good measure. But you can bet as soon as I could I'd be back in a flash.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you killed your partner, why would you bury his gold? You would take his gold, not bury it. I would anyway. Gary

A killer with morals? :laughing7:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"One of the guys killed his partner in the Jemez mountains in New Mexico and felt guilty about the killing of his partner. He took off on horse back to Mexico where he meet a priest and confessed about killing his partner. He also gave a description of how he killed his partner and where he had buried his partners Half of the gold coins. Is was near a cabin and a stream in the Jemez mountains of New Mexico."

#1: Who told the story? Robber or the priest
#2: If it was the robber-then he confessed to more than just the priest.
#3: If it was the priest-then the priest probably broke the rule of keeping's mouth shut.
#4: How honest was the priest-(wouldn't put it past me that the lure of gold was stronger then the faith)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread