Am I going crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

claypile

Mar 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the recent COVID-19 reports regarding vaccines, increased cases, and new variants, it's like things are worse. I have dealt with this on the onset and I was fine, until now I'm losing my desire to do stuff anymore. We're not going back to our normal lives anytime soon, right? :( I am so stressed that not even treasure hunting could take my mind off it. Help. Talk to me.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a vaccine. I don't wear a mask anymore unless its mandated. I do use hand sanitizer every time I get back in the car from going to the store, etc. I don't do parties. I have been back to church in person. I don't hug homeless people on the street (with a few exceptions, for real, she hugged me first because I treated her as a human being), and I know God has it all under control so I am right now living "normally". Going on a flight to Florida fairly soon. That's kind of a short answer, but consider this, just this week, one of my friends was diagnosed with what is probably a fatal cancer, my next door neighbor died a few days ago, the guy two houses down has just gone into hospice and a well known guy about 4 miles from here who had a nice business just died. Nothing covid involved. So I guess the real question should be what are you afraid of? And why? I don't particularly like going outside at night because monsters come out of the woods. Coyotes, foxes, the local bobcat and cougar. That type of thing. HOWEVER, if there is some flight I have to catch or dig I have to go to I still go out at night to get there.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lost 2 family members in 8 days, both were not vaccinated, my 1st cousin had kidney replaced 5 years ago, died 8 days ago, my sister-in-laws baby brother had no known health problems passed this morning.

Get your vaccine shots if you don't have them and live your life, that is what I am doing.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Currently , a vaccine can for many of us , reduce the symptoms of a particularly nasty virus .
For those fortunate enough to not have pre-existing reduced immunities and other problems , covid after being vaccinated is less a threat.

My personal life is pretty much back to "normal".
Covid does affect things elsewhere obviously. But I don't think I stress about it too much.

Plan scheme and start pecking away at projects.
I've enough projects to last for years....The weather is slowing some more than anything else. It'll change. Things always do.

Hang in there. Detect a little and keep your ability to do so up. The focus on real and tangible places and being outdoors scratching in the dirt might help.
Optimism when you get a good hit , vs negativism and wasting energy on fear from the media hype.
Yes a virus with the potential of covid is serious. So is decompressing from speculation of what could go wrong and instead enjoying what is right. And the simple pleasure of a recovery can at times be just right!
Pull tab , yeah!
:hello2:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI to all, please do not turn thread political.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug a great silver chain Saturday at a fairly crowded beach. Does that count as normal? I don't particular like going out in the hot weather but that hurricane blew through and I was hoping for some seashells. Got a few. Media? Hype? Never...No, covid is real. It looks like this last wave is slightly declining in Maryland. Next two weeks will tell. One day it will be over.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think that you're going crazy. Things are pretty messed up right now. I'd say that nearly everyone would agree with that sentiment. But, unfortunately, I think that we'd better get used to it. With the new variants and the effectiveness of the vaccines decreasing over time, I believe that we'll be dealing with this for years to come. I suspect that we'll need boosters and new coronavirus vaccines that are designed for variants that do not yet exist (but will in the not so distant future). I imagine that COVID vaccines and boosters will become routine for many, like the annual flu shots. I didn't get annual flu shots. I got my first one last fall because of COVID... I didn't want to potentially get the flu and need to visit a hospital. I figured that our healthcare system was stressed enough. I also got two shots of Moderna as soon as I was eligible and I'll follow my physician's recommendations about boosters and potentially additional vaccines. Why? To protect myself, my family, my friends, and my community.

Are things getting worse? That's hard to say. Things definitely don't seem to be getting better as far a COVID goes. Hospitals in several states are nearly out of ICU beds and some areas are setting new records for cases and deaths. Some people are simply refusing to listen to healthcare professionals and scientists, except when it benefits them. Heck, some people have even decided that going to the local feed store and taking a horse dewormer (ivermectin) for a virus is a good idea because someone in Egypt faked data, published a paper, and some news outlets continue to promote a debunked "study", even though that paper has now been retracted. Healthcare professionals can provide data showing that ~99% of COVID fatalities were among people who were not fully vaccinated, but it won't sway some people. It's really unfortunate, but people often aren't motivated by facts and evidence. Many think, "I'm healthy. I don't need a vaccine," or "there's too many unknowns" and that is somewhat true. There are some unknowns and sure, most people that get infected with COVID will recover over time. But in the meantime, the unvaccinated folks may catch it, spread it, and cause somebody else to die. Maybe they give it to somebody like Kelly Peterson, a 41 year-old elementary school teacher, whose doctor recommended that she not get vaccinated, due to her leukemia. She died on Monday. Maybe they inadvertently give COVID to a friend or relative and kill them... but hey, it's not about that. It's about their personal freedom. In a way they might be right... they may survive just fine... but maybe their friend, relative, or neighbor wont. Seems awfully selfish to me.

I'm just trying to do the best that I can, like most folks. Our two boys aren't eligible for the vaccine, but they're back in school since the school district isn't offering virtual learning this year. We've got them wearing masks. A minority of the other students and staff are as well, but there's no mask mandate. I doubt that they'll be in school for long. Several schools in nearby counties have had to close due to the high number of students and staff who have been infected with COVID. It's really unfortunate. Seems the Delta variant is hitting children harder, or perhaps is just infecting more people so more serious pediatric cases are occurring. Either way, we're trying to eat our cake and have it too... we're taking some precautions and trying to limit chances of exposure as best we can, without living in a cave.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Last edited:

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lost 2 family members in 8 days, both were not vaccinated, my 1st cousin had kidney replaced 5 years ago, died 8 days ago, my sister-in-laws baby brother had no known health problems passed this morning.

Get your vaccine shots if you don't have them and live your life, that is what I am doing.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your family members.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am sorry for your loss and thankyou for making your voice heard about the vaccine.

It used to be many didn't know anyone who died from it and I still don't personally know anyone, but i've now heard from enough credible people that have lost loved ones, like yourself, that it can't be ignored.

Sure, we all have to die someday of something, but i'd rather it be decades from now, doing something i love, not intubated suffocating as my lungs fill with fluid that a free shot would have prevented.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
With the recent COVID-19 reports regarding vaccines, increased cases, and new variants, it's like things are worse. I have dealt with this on the onset and I was fine, until now I'm losing my desire to do stuff anymore. We're not going back to our normal lives anytime soon, right? :( I am so stressed that not even treasure hunting could take my mind off it. Help. Talk to me.

Gidday Claypile

You have to stop and take things in perspective Amigo.

You are not alone in this Pandemic everyone has go through the same thing as you. However some have it much harder dealing with the death of loved one or have a very sick friend or family Member. There are other people in lot worse situation than you either on life support suffering from covid 19 or dead.

But here you are typing on treasurenet alive amigo alive! and that is a privilege. It is all too easy to be overwhelmed by media selling doom and gloom as that is their business peddling bad news. However there is light at the end of tunnel coming and you just have to wait like the rest of us.

There is an old saying How do you eat an elephant? One bite at time. So Until then its better to keep busy and focused in your interests one step at a time. Before you know it the day will come that the Pandemic will all be a memory.

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other

My deepest sympathies Amigo. If your sad loss encourages a few here to get vaccinated then their passing will not be in vain.

Crow

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
turn off the news , it's putting excessive pressure on your mind, you know what they're going to say anyway . we all know about the pandemic and don't need to here about it every day . wash your hands , stay out of crowds and exercise to burn off the stress. the problem is real , the stress is real , good luck to you.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
turn off the news , it's putting excessive pressure on your mind, you know what they're going to say anyway . we all know about the pandemic and don't need to here about it every day . wash your hands , stay out of crowds and exercise to burn off the stress. the problem is real , the stress is real , good luck to you.

I think turning off the news is a good idea.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(QUOTE deleted for rules)

Oh dear. You’re sadly misinformed. “Covid-19” will never be “isolated” because it’s simply the name we have given to the clinical presentation of a new disease, where “19” is for the year of discovery of the disease itself, which is caused by a novel strain of coronavirus.

There are many coronaviruses, genetically divided into four groups: alpha, beta, gamma, and delta, of which only the first two groups are known to affect humans with usually only mild symptoms manifesting in our respiratory systems. They were first identified in the 1960s, but have likely circulated in the human population for centuries.

The recently discovered and more debilitating variant of the agent which causes Covid-19 in humans is named “SARS-CoV-2” and most certainly has been isolated and its structural proteins identified together with the genome of its single-strand RNA. That data has been independently replicated in multiple countries and by multiple researchers within those countries. Not only has it been isolated but we have electron microscope pictures of it too:

Novel_Coronavirus_SARS-CoV-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I walked away from a good paying job last year because I knew what they’d be mandating. Not gonna bend over for a coming monthly jab. I have a healthy home, “large” family both sides no one sick or died thank goodness. So now, I don’t go out much, don’t go out to eat, no crowds, no TV, no indoor gatherings etc…what’s the down side?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It all depends on how one looks at the world overall.
Something like is the glass half full-or half empty.

I decided to turn the media basically off-as it seems even a year + later it hasn't really changed a whole lot-it's still a developing story/news/what is/what isn't and not much else has changed-well except...
Prices of materials
Lack of materials
Delay of materials

You get the picture, but I find that life hasn't really changed except there's more reason to be a hermit basically.

One can squirrel themselves over something that they can't really change-except if one just goes about their business and stay the required 6ft apart, sanitize, wash, not doing handshakes, hugs with everyone and anyone, chances are still pretty slim of coming down with something.

I do feel for the folks stuck in a concrete matchbox in a high-rise in some densely populated urban setting. In the rural I have no issues isolating from the world, while keeping busy building my own little world up.
Stay safe folks....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Connor McCloud, you are new and may not be aware, political comments are only allowed in our politics forum.

ScoTTT2

Jul 19, 2021
steuben county, ny
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you're not crazy .. this is a tuff situation for most everyone .. covid took my job, which isn't coming back .. at 60, it is a hard hit and harder to start over .. we will all meet someday and maybe detect some riches elsewhere .. "thou shall not be afraid"

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's best not to sit around and dwell on it, and not get consumed by the news. The biggest change in my and the wife's lives, was since we both got considered 'essential workers', and worked whenever we weren't sleeping, we made more money than we've ever made. May sound great, but I would have preferred to have won a lottery or got a better paying job to achieve that. It's very tough for some people, but you do have a lot of support out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread