Bad Happenings when trying to retrurn lost ITEMS

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We always hear how happy people are when they get back a lost item. I LOVE returning lost things and surprising people with the items. Some times though you do not get the happy response you hope for.
Can some of you please tell us of some of your unpleasant return attempts? So people trying to return items can NOT ALWAYS EXPECT HAPPINESS!!

I have two that come to my mind.

First one i was helping a member on here try and return a dog tag he found . After a month or so of research I located the mans son in North Carolina. I called him and confirmed it was his father . His father had passed away in Cleveland Ohio. He told me in not a friendly tone HE DID NOT WANT IT and he did NOT CARE WHAT WE DID WITH IT. I then located another son and he did accept it. Someone on here might add a little more to this.

Second one I was horse back riding in pa and in spare time over there i took one of my detectors out . I found this ring that had Devil Dog inscribed on it. The ring i think 1990 and had a first initial on it and last name. So i did some searching on a person with that first initial and last name that lived a few miles from where i found it. For a week or two I tried contacting this person. Sent him my phone number and email address along with my Postal mailing address. he was also listed on face book. He was active on face book so i knew he was getting my messages. But would not reply . I told him I WAS NOT trying to SELL HIM anything and did not want any money. So i took up another plan of getting to him. I seen he had a wife listed on Face book. I sent her a message requesting for her to have him please contact me. With in a couple hours I got a NOT so nice reply from him stating he did NOT KNOW who the hell i was but he assured me i had better never contact them again !!! I then replied i NEED to ASK you ONE question he replied back NO!! I then sent back the question do you know what a devil dog is ? To which he replied yes he said he was one !!! Then i replied Did you ever have a Devil Dog ring? He replied yes. I then said do you still have it and he replied no. I then asked if he would LIKE IT BACK ???? On less then 5 seconds my phone was ringing and it was him. He asked me how i knew this. I explained was at a camping grounds and was detecting along some bushes and came up with it. Seems he was working for a landscaper back then and lost it there. He then asked me how much i wanted for it. I told him NOTHING i would just give it back to him N O CHARGE for ANYTHING !!! I told him his service this country was payment enough. he gave me his address and i shipped it back to him. I never heard anymore from him not even a thank you . I just felt he was ashamed how he had been to me. Like I said his service to this country was payment enough.,\\

Sorry for dragging this out so long but wanted you all to know not all attempts to return something lost is going to be a happy result.

Now lets hear some of your not so happy returns ? PLEASE !!!

Phil

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to return the ex-wife once, and everybody I called hung up on me.

Last edited:

ScoTTT2

Jul 19, 2021
steuben county, ny
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not about detecting, but similar : here in the winter we get some heavy snow and/or icy conditions at times. When I was younger I always made it a point to have a tow chain in my truck and if I came upon a car in distress I would help the person get their car back on the road. This happened many times, usually with a reward being offered as the result of saving the person a tow charge and a bunch of time, I never took the rewards. This one guy however, right after getting him out of the snow bank, changed from a guy relieved to be free of the situation he was in to a guy blaming me for lack of his driving skills. He quickly took the chain off his car and removed the other end from my truck and threw it in the pickup bed, one end hit my rear window and shattered it .. he then gave me a few choice words and jumped in his car and took off .. I was already late for work, but call the police and told them of the happenings .. they did nothing. My insurance replaced the window. I no longer stop to help people unless they look like they might be hurt.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When living in Toronto I came across lots of ID'S, wallets, purses in the ravines of the parks systems.
I found this purse, lots of ID real estate agent.
I contacted her and we agreed to meet at a coffee shop in the village.
She arrived and I gave her the purse, declined the reward offer.
She explained that her window was smashed in the petting zoo parking lot.
Query: How did I know it was her purse?
Answer: From the ID, and business card.
REPLY: SO YOU LOOKED THROUGH MY PURSE!
Answer: Yes
She turned red, spun on her 3" pumps and she walked out.
No thank you - I always wondered if it was something to do with the dozen condoms. :dontknow:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found a wallet called the guy, confirmed his address
I rang the door bell, he opened the door, took the wallet, slammed the door in my face.
Married? Wallet found In the bush paths where guys hook up.:dontknow:
Most of the good returns are just a relief that they have the ID back.

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad found a wallet that had id in it. He contacted the person & agreed to meet the person at their house to return wallet. When he got to the person house the police where their waiting for him. Turns out the wallet was stolen. The officer there knew my dad & knew he didn't steal it. Everything work out ok.
I lost my wallet more than once. I always had it return to me. Nothing was never taken out of my wallet money, credit cards. I offered something for returning my wallet. No one never accepted anything. There are still plenty of good people out there.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to return my wife but bthere was no warranty . :icon_scratch:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cleaned out a hoarders house once after the family had passed. I came across some binders with Marines military awards and memorabilia. It looked like it was put together with care and love. Also his dress uniform was hanging in the closet. I looked up the family and asked if they wanted it and was told to burn it. I continued to see if there was other siblings that may want it but was also told to burn it in no uncertain terms. I still have it today because I can't burn it. I was military too and that would bother me.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cleaned out a hoarders house once after the family had passed. I came across some binders with Marines military awards and memorabilia. It looked like it was put together with care and love. Also his dress uniform was hanging in the closet. I looked up the family and asked if they wanted it and was told to burn it. I continued to see if there was other siblings that may want it but was also told to burn it in no uncertain terms. I still have it today because I can't burn it. I was military too and that would bother me.

kingskid1611: If i was you and wanted to make sure the articles wanted to go to a good place you might check into a local historical society of a museum . That way it can be remembered and not just gotten rid of. make sure you state his or her name if you decide to donate it So they can be honored by others

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kingskid1611: If i was you and wanted to make sure the articles wanted to go to a good place you might check into a local historical society of a museum . That way it can be remembered and not just gotten rid of. make sure you state his or her name if you decide to donate it So they can be honored by others

That way he can live forever so to speak,good thinking gare.

Aug 28, 2021
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So few people have manners these days, I am glad for those who still do. Thanks for respecting the service of others as well; I also served.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not about detecting, but similar : here in the winter we get some heavy snow and/or icy conditions at times. When I was younger I always made it a point to have a tow chain in my truck and if I came upon a car in distress I would help the person get their car back on the road. This happened many times, usually with a reward being offered as the result of saving the person a tow charge and a bunch of time, I never took the rewards. This one guy however, right after getting him out of the snow bank, changed from a guy relieved to be free of the situation he was in to a guy blaming me for lack of his driving skills. He quickly took the chain off his car and removed the other end from my truck and threw it in the pickup bed, one end hit my rear window and shattered it .. he then gave me a few choice words and jumped in his car and took off .. I was already late for work, but call the police and told them of the happenings .. they did nothing. My insurance replaced the window. I no longer stop to help people unless they look like they might be hurt.

I used to do that for fun when i was younger in snow storms, actually just one county over here from you. I am in allegany county

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug a class ring that had been lost for thirty years and was able to track down the owner. She acted like I had pulled the ring off her finger and was holding it for ransom. I ended up spending my own money to send it to her and she didn’t even acknowledge receipt. Yup, returns aren’t always feel good situations.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hoping NOT to see so many replies and similar stories about this subject. I’ve returned a couple things, an Ipod which was a complete pain in the ass, and tried returning a really big and ornate class ring. Guy absolutely didn’t make any attempt to get back to me via 2-3 avenues of contact…so I quit. I think we all have “happy visions” of returning something, but we are collectively learning that just because WE think of things in a certain way, the public at large doesn’t. You’re a thief…a con artist…a scumbag. So I don’t bother with that stuff anymore.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two years ago, I found a 1971 class ring in a park where this particular high school always has a seniors picnic just before graduation. I still have not been able to locate the owner. The initials in the ring are MPP. I had to join classmates.com to get access to the yearbook.

The problem is there's two guys with the initials MP, but the yearbook doesn't show middle initials. I have located a file that lists every person that has ever attended a reunion from the school and neither of these two guys are on the list. I was able to send emails to people with the same last names on the list and indicated I have a 1971 class ring and am just trying to return it and nobody has ever responded back. I even offer to send pics of the ring. I even found a minister with the same last name, sent him a message and turns out he just passed.

This class is having their 50th reunion this September and I sent a message to the person that is organizing the reunion and nothing! Nobody believes me. Probably will never find the owner but will keep trying...

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately our world is plumb full of sheet heads who can’t look past their noses. It’s got nothing to do with your gesture and completely a matter of dealing with miserable people.

As a contractor I deal with a great many people. Seems like the more well off the less you’d care to be around them. Always exceptions of course.

Many people just suck. Not worth a second thought.

Keep up the good fight gents!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two years ago, I found a 1971 class ring in a park where this particular high school always has a seniors picnic just before graduation. I still have not been able to locate the owner. The initials in the ring are MPP. I had to join classmates.com to get access to the yearbook.

The problem is there's two guys with the initials MP, but the yearbook doesn't show middle initials. I have located a file that lists every person that has ever attended a reunion from the school and neither of these two guys are on the list. I was able to send emails to people with the same last names on the list and indicated I have a 1971 class ring and am just trying to return it and nobody has ever responded back. I even offer to send pics of the ring. I even found a minister with the same last name, sent him a message and turns out he just passed.

This class is having their 50th reunion this September and I sent a message to the person that is organizing the reunion and nothing! Nobody believes me. Probably will never find the owner but will keep trying...

After two years and all the grief you,ve gotten trying to do a good deed,it,d be off to Midwest Refineries for me.I,m not that patient with self important SOBs.You oughta get a sainthood for that.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had issues so when I found a guys wallet instead of going to his address I went by the police station and had an officer take it to him with a note of where I found it full of cash and cards and I.D's and my phone #. I at least got a thank you, but I have had people give me attitudes and look at me like I stole it, so that is why I use other avenues to return items. I let a guy know he had dropped some cash at check out line and he gave me a dirty look, so I give up any more on being nice.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread