CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheaper than driving to his place to pick them up yourself tho, right? Shipping costs for any seller includes packaging, the time or employee to process the order, and the actual rate of shipping from FedEx, USPS or UPS. We've shipped tens of thousands of items over the years, and it is what it is.

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Cheaper than driving to his place to pick them up yourself tho, right? Shipping costs for any seller includes packaging, the time or employee to process the order, and the actual rate of shipping from FedEx, USPS or UPS. We've shipped tens of thousands of items over the years, and it is what it is.
"It is what it is", and 5x the actual price for the item? Ebay is way friendlier. I see this as a gouge. Sorry. A small bubble wrap, or two US stamps on an envelope, BUT 5X the item price? Really, that is "what it is?"

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"It is what it is", and 5x the actual price for the item? Ebay is way friendlier. I see this as a gouge. Sorry. A small bubble wrap, or two US stamps on an envelope, BUT 5X the item price? Really, that is "what it is?"

It’s no fault of the seller that your purchasing something that’s only valued at 1.99.

Would you pay someone to pick and item, pack it up, label a shipper and arrange shipping for less than 5 bucks?

I get that it sucks to pay shipping but if things like this get your goose I’m gonna guess you spend a lot of time tweezed off by stuff. Lol pay the 5 bucks, get your specialty parts and get on with life.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don,t know if it,s a gouge or not.I,ve noticed that any shipping has gotten way high.I have no idea why.Most sellers or manufactuers don,t like to sell parts,they want to sell new complete items,I like to work on guns,take old mistreated ones and bring them back to life.Parts are available but the prices for parts are often ridiculous,along with the shipping.You can often do better by buying old beaters and taking the parts off yourself.Just rambling,hope I didn,t bore you.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes. Unless you think the seller's time is worth nothing at all. Comparing the price of an item to the cost to ship the item, as if there is some equitable relationship between the two, is nonsense. Shipping costs are what they are. Would you be able to go to the Post Office and plead for a lower rate of shipping because the price of what you are shipping is cheap? Try it. Get back to us on how that goes.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$15 for a bag of eight on EBay with free shipping. Way cheaper in the long term.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude i got TOO many and will send u a set FREE.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. Unless you think the seller's time is worth nothing at all. Comparing the price of an item to the cost to ship the item, as if there is some equitable relationship between the two, is nonsense. Shipping costs are what they are. Would you be able to go to the Post Office and plead for a lower rate of shipping because the price of what you are shipping is cheap? Try it. Get back to us on how that goes.

Sellers who gouge on shipping like to give this argument. Sorry, not buying it. How long does it take to throw a couple of washers in an envelope and mail it? As for shipping costs "are what they are", sorry, but it only costs $3.00 to ship a couple of washers. The seller is a con artist in my book. He posts a low price and then gouges on the shipping. Not acceptable. I never buy from eBay sellers who gouge on shipping. They think they're pulling a fast one, but the practice hurts them in the long run.

I recently bought a baseball card on eBay for a few bucks and the seller wanted $5.00 to ship it. Since I got a $20 card for $8 in his auction, I didn't care if he made a couple of bucks on the shipping. But instead of putting it in a padded envelope and paying $3.00 to ship, he put it in a plain white envelope and slapped a 55 cent stamp on it. This move got him a not so nice feedback comment which warned other buyers of this shady practice. He's just lucky the card wasn't damaged or I would have gotten a full refund and he would have gotten negative feedback. Bottom line, he lost my future business by gouging on shipping. Not a good business practice at all.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
personally I'd try to find an alternative .
either go to lowes, home depot or even a local hardware if necessary and see if I can find a similar or workable alternative.
sometimes things like that can be purchased for 18 cents give or take a few.
even if it costs for gas, choose a grocery shopping day, or day your detecting that direction to go.

if they are not willing to work with you on shipping, I'd blow-em off .
odds are the shipper stops by daily to pick up orders to ship. no gas involved for the store.
just my take, and opinion :coffee2:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shipping costs have effected many hobbies. I was a flintknapper and often bought rocks from afar. Eventually, the shipping costs were more than the value of the rocks and it really slowed down the hobby. Gary

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sellers who gouge on shipping like to give this argument. Sorry, not buying it. How long does it take to throw a couple of washers in an envelope and mail it? As for shipping costs "are what they are", sorry, but it only costs $3.00 to ship a couple of washers. The seller is a con artist in my book.

At the moment we have a positive feedback rating of 13,401 and no negative feedback on eBay. We are not a seller who gouges on shipping so consequently that's not why we made the argument that we did. It does not follow that because someone charges more than you would like them to for shipping that therefore they are out to get the customer and are a "con artist."

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that companies like UPS have a minimum weight of 1 pound per package. A company that size, will not break packages or envelopes down to the ounces or 1/2 pound. In this instance, you just pay the 1 pound fee according to your destination. If you saw the day to day logistics and costs involved in running a company like that, you would feel a little more at ease paying the $5.00 shipping. I understand that you only bought a $1.00 item, but that has nothing to do with the cost of getting it to you. The cost is determined by the carrier. The seller could put 2 stamps on an envelope and get it to you, but then you risk damage to your item, or even the envelope tearing and having your item lost before it arrives at your door. Better to have it packaged the right way, with a sturdy box and have the piece of mind. Long run, if you think the seller is gauging, then continue to look for a better deal. This opinion, is from a 27 year retired delivery driver with UPS.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does not follow that because someone charges more than you would like them to for shipping that therefore they are out to get the customer and are a "con artist."

I'd like them to charge actual shipping, not double the shipping to make a sneaky profit. I see this all the time on eBay. Sellers charging 5-7 dollars to ship ONE baseball card. Most people are sharp enough to hit the back button on those sellers, but some are not. Those who miss the excessive shipping charge before buying get mad when they figure it out and you can see that in the seller's feedback.

Overcharging on shipping is a great way to get negative feedback and to get tossed off of eBay. The OP's seller would be better off charging $7.95 for the two washers with free shipping. Same total price, but the buyer wouldn't be annoyed when he got the washers in a 55 cent envelope!

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure that is shipping and handling...
Aside from that..

You aint seen nuttin yet...

To send a box to Australia, through the post office or Fedex, up to 12 ounces...is $75.00!
Not overnight, that isnt even available...like a 3 week delivery

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find them 10 in a pack for $11.44 plus $4.25 shopping. You're not just paying the postage you are paying for the labor to draw them from stock, package them and then ship them. I have also found free shipping if you search. .

Last edited:

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shipping costs have really gone up in the last 20 years. We used to buy Priority Mail stamps for $3.45 to use on the flat rate envelopes. It now costs nearly $8. Media rate was just raised again by another .45/pound, making the lowest cost to ship a book under 1 pound over $3. That's without paying for packaging materials or taking the time to carefully wrap and package an item. The current raise in fuel prices will eventually raise everything even higher.

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Shipping costs have really gone up in the last 20 years. We used to buy Priority Mail stamps for $3.45 to use on the flat rate envelopes. It now costs nearly $8. Media rate was just raised again by another .45/pound, making the lowest cost to ship a book under 1 pound over $3. That's without paying for packaging materials or taking the time to carefully wrap and package an item. The current raise in fuel prices will eventually raise everything even higher.

With this logic, Ebay sellers are losing $5.95 on tons of their sales, on larger items than the tiny rubber washer. Something is missing here. Seems like a whole metal detector in a box would have to ship for $100, but it don't. Amazon should be broke due to shipping.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread