What do you get when you mix 4 cats and 1 nearby tornado?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You get a story, fortunately with a happy ending. Early last evening the phone "blew up" with a tornado warning. So...I already had the proper channels on the net and tv, tornado was inching closer to where I live. 23 miles, then 15, then 7. So for the first time ever I decided I would put the cats in the basement for safety sake. So, Lil'While was already down there playing in some water seeping in. One down, three to go. Then I snagged the little black one off the end of the couch, no issues. Then I went for the big Russian Blue who is 18 years old. No problem. I put him on the top step and closed the door.

THEN I snagged a heavy duty towel and corralled the once feral one who was on my bed at the moment. Then the hissing, spitting, snarling, scratching and death threats started. I get the wiry bundle to the basement door and open it, at which point I realized the big Russian Blue, Smoke, had not moved. Nor was he going to move. I tried putting the last cat down there and all hell broke loose between the once feral and Smoke the ruler of the house. So...I then had two cats downstairs.

Fortunately, the tornado blew itself out when it was about 6 miles away. Lil'While came up after about another hour, wanted to be pet at that point for a long time, playing in the water is hard work and the wiry bundle has put out a "hit" on me! BTW nothing more pleasant than curling up to a nice, warm wet cat for a couple hours. The shaving will commence tomorrow.

Once upon a time ago I put in a gravity feeding cat waterer. I thought it was a good idea at the time. First day, great. Second day, I'm sitting on the couch and hear gurgle gurgle gurgle, the sound it makes when a cat has drank some water and the air goes into the void in the container. But wait! More gurgle gurgle gurgle. And then again. So I went in the room. Lil'While thought it was absolute fun to bat the water out of it on the floor to have it make that great noise. ALL of the water.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Smokey, I have only 3 cats - brothers. Long time cat lover, and Mom was too. Those cats mean a lot to me since Mom's gone now. She left on her 95th birthday.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mom's been gone for 14 years now. It's never the same. Her sister died in December. She was 106.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smoke shall sit where Smoke pleases - quite the kitty rodeo my dear!:laughing7:

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
... did you leave the yardbirds out to fend for themselves? I haven’t heard any chicken stories lately...

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good to hear that the storm subsided Smokey.
In the time of emergency I know it will be Cat/Cat - Dog - me-but the question will be-what about the chickens please? I can just imagine that all in a safe room (cold cellar) sharing space.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure am glad you and pets are safe Smokey :)

Last edited:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story Smokey, glad the tornado missed you!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would probably be too dangerous to go and try to get the chickens inside, although I had considered it. Cat rodeo is about right.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would dread that scenario. I have 3 "A" team cats that get the main floor and upstairs and my 4 "B" team cats that get the basement and outdoors. Bob just can't resist feeding hungry critters. Tornado comes it will be every cat for themselves! Although I'll try to wrangle whatever I can. Luckily none of mine are feral. They will tear you up! :laughing7:

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two cats at my house, my own semi feral, don’t touch me girl, and the recent addition of my mom’s cat that came to live with me after she passed. Her cat is fine unless she gets scared and then turns totally feral and will attempt to kill you if you get close. So, come an emergency the chance of capturing even one of the two is nil. My girl will run to the basement though if she gets scared so I guess she could survive a tornado.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey I am glad the Tornado petered out before it got to you and I have read your post a few times and laughed each time and my wife laughed also. We have owned cats who have personalities like your cats. Gotta love them we actually had a cat named DUFUS, that tells you a lot about him. LOL

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually have an evacuation plan for pets! I have for years. True! Big carriers in the truck, given 10 minutes lead time, in case of fire out the nearest door or window they go, along with me!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story, Smokey! I used to have cats, but I prefer dogs. Last cat I had was crazy as the Devil and twice as mean. In the middle of the night one time he was laying on my chest and I was petting him. He got a crazy look in his eye like he did when he was about to go nuts, opened his mouth very wide, then nailed me in the forehead with his fangs. Needless to say, he didn't reside at my house shortly after than. Haven't had another cat since then!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArfieBoy, I have never owned a mean cat. I had a mean turkey once, I didn't have it long. Mean pets I don't tolerate. Smoke is having a nap next to me right now, he grumbles sometimes, but when he wants to be pet, he head butts very hard! Cute! Dusty the Terrible is just jealous of the others. He was here first, after all. Lil'While has no brain. Very sweet, but no brain. And Smokey was neglected the first four years of his life and is very "street smart". Smart enough be sleep next to my face every night.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I prefer cats over dogs but I do like dogs a lot. They seem to be more work to care for. I have 3 cats and they all have different personalities too. Glad the tornado fizzled before it got close to you as I think your poor chickens would have lost a feather or two.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You get a story, fortunately with a happy ending. Early last evening the phone "blew up" with a tornado warning. So...I already had the proper channels on the net and tv, tornado was inching closer to where I live. 23 miles, then 15, then 7. So for the first time ever I decided I would put the cats in the basement for safety sake. So, Lil'While was already down there playing in some water seeping in. One down, three to go. Then I snagged the little black one off the end of the couch, no issues. Then I went for the big Russian Blue who is 18 years old. No problem. I put him on the top step and closed the door.

THEN I snagged a heavy duty towel and corralled the once feral one who was on my bed at the moment. Then the hissing, spitting, snarling, scratching and death threats started. I get the wiry bundle to the basement door and open it, at which point I realized the big Russian Blue, Smoke, had not moved. Nor was he going to move. I tried putting the last cat down there and all hell broke loose between the once feral and Smoke the ruler of the house. So...I then had two cats downstairs.

Fortunately, the tornado blew itself out when it was about 6 miles away. Lil'While came up after about another hour, wanted to be pet at that point for a long time, playing in the water is hard work and the wiry bundle has put out a "hit" on me! BTW nothing more pleasant than curling up to a nice, warm wet cat for a couple hours. The shaving will commence tomorrow.

Once upon a time ago I put in a gravity feeding cat waterer. I thought it was a good idea at the time. First day, great. Second day, I'm sitting on the couch and hear gurgle gurgle gurgle, the sound it makes when a cat has drank some water and the air goes into the void in the container. But wait! More gurgle gurgle gurgle. And then again. So I went in the room. Lil'While thought it was absolute fun to bat the water out of it on the floor to have it make that great noise. ALL of the water.
Smokey please consider writing a book as you have such a beautiful way with words and humor

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions