Mineralogy question from a woodworker

Ron Swanson

Sep 3, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody, glad to have found your forum here. I'm a woodworker and use various crushed materials including soapstone as inlay substrate in some of my pieces, and I thought I'd venture out into the mineralogy world to see if I might find some advice. I'm in search of new color tones of the blue and green type but I'm unfamiliar with what minerals might be of use to me. Would you have any suggestions for what minerals I might take a look at for future potential color sources? Dark / solid hues tend not to work as well with the natural wood colors, but the medium hues certainly do. A material need not be as soft as soapstone to be useful, just crushable (if that's even a word).

Thanks, I'm all ears!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome Ron to the forum

Your woodworking sounds interesting, I'd be interested in seeing a picture of some of your work would.
Is like a live river table type of work or just random setting of the material?

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
living in the shadows of the worlds largest kyanite mine it's the first thing that came to mind. you can buy some on line .
attachment.php

Attachments

• download (4).jpg
    download (4).jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 57

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread