Gps device recommended other than cell phone to get close to the mark

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I apologize I?m sure question asked many times, so briefly I no the cell phone may have apps also but I hate draining my battery. So needed for specific searching old settlers areas of interest, you no old 1800 maps find a black square or dot which indicated a house or building which is no longer visible. Appreciate the advice of users let me no what you use , apps. Fall time comes presents opportunities, less weeds, bugs. Ok tell me your experience, thumbs up to you all.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want accuracy get a GPS with the WAAS feature. That uses not only the satellites but triangulates on ground stations (airports/weather stations). Garmin GPSMAP 78 is an example ($200).

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...its/techops/navservices/gnss/waas/howitworks/

But that still will do no better than getting you withing around 16 feet of a "target". Which is actually pretty remarkable. On a good day even better - like 9 feet.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Charlie, sounds good will check out

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do these have preloaded topo maps etc, what fees or subscription is needed. Sad card slot, I will research Charlie but when fall comes it’s when we enter the days of yester year if you no what I mean. Actually it’s probably best time to detect, finding those very old places, coins relics

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some models come preloaded with very basic topo maps. Generally speaking, you would want to install a better topo map (paid or free).

Some models come preloaded with better topo maps. I'm not sure if those preloaded maps are the equivalent of the paid for maps.

Garmin has a free program (basecamp) for computers (I believe windows only) that makes it much easier to choose specific waypoints on your gps device (a garmin device).

The old topo maps (little black dots for houses, etc..) aren't super accurate. Even if laid out over google maps - take the location as an approximation, not a spot-on location.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a hand held Garmin which works great. Cheap too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread