What determines the depth when making a detector - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: What determines the depth when making a detector

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel
    37348 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (9)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Treasure_Hunter is correct. To each his own. Will detectors be invented in the next 10 years or 20 years that will get a nickel 3 feet under? Probably not. Physics limits how deep the machines will go. Now a buried CAR at 3 feet, yes, it will read it. Do you REALLY want to chase small chump change 3 feet under? Plus most coins are less than 15". And that's in a plowed field.

Stop worrying over what doesn't exist. Those batteries only give so much power to a machine. Find something you like and go play with it.

Charter Member
    us
    I believe in people not the government

Aug 2013
    Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
    Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
    1284 times
    You proved the point the fcc limits the power of the metal detector, it’s the principle folks, not about digging a 10 foot hole. You proved my point it’s regulated. All you ever get is very small incremental improvements at best. Don’t waste hundreds of dollars on coils that will give you a fraction of what. Then some say oh if you learn machine and adjustments, oh I’m not here to argue this, those of you educated folks just told all metal detector owners the machines are capped or limited thankyou truth it be shamefully, that’s why I hesitated to think I spend more I gain little, thanks

Charter Member
    us
    I believe in people not the government

Aug 2013
    Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
    Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
    1284 times
    I ask some of you when using tools or other equipment, do you not want the best to perform the job, not going to a dollar store for tools, if you don’t understand your not open mind and I will not comment anymore, I purchase a detector to give me the optimal performance, even the ctx isn’t worth 3000 dollars for the expert user because it’s regulated,

si
    Nov 2017
    Countryside
    DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
    326 times
    The depth of a VLF is limited by phisics if you want to stay with reasonable current consumption. Non the less this is not the only technology, nore are most of commetcial detector at their maximum. The true anwser is market. You do. How come? The strongest and mainly only realm of commercial VLFs is "blind" hunting. The happiness comes by as many holes dug as possible, by digging deep holes, you would only waste thime - statisticaly speaking. It's game of chance. People just like gambling - and why not.
    Last edited by TheGreenBoy; Sep 10, 2021 at 07:12 AM.

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    50686 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by 49er12 View Post
    You proved the point the fcc limits the power of the metal detector, it’s the principle folks, not about digging a 10 foot hole. You proved my point it’s regulated. All you ever get is very small incremental improvements at best. Don’t waste hundreds of dollars on coils that will give you a fraction of what. Then some say oh if you learn machine and adjustments, oh I’m not here to argue this, those of you educated folks just told all metal detector owners the machines are capped or limited thankyou truth it be shamefully, that’s why I hesitated to think I spend more I gain little, thanks
    Ok they're limited in power-so work within those limits.
    Coils-"Don’t waste hundreds of dollars on coils that will give you a fraction of what" I say what?

Put a 13/15" coil on and go into a iron/nail infested site-then put on a 4/5" coil on and do the same- one will see why the manufacture made the small coil.
    There's a market for both size coils-large go deep theory, large cover more area quicker (which seems to be the norm with many-a race)
    Put a 4" coil on and go do an acre (200'x200') it's like painting the side of the barn with an artist brush-but one can really see the details.
    The HF coil that Dues has-not a waste of money-cost as much as a machine or more.
    If a person can afford it and it gives them an inch of depth why not-enjoy the process.
    It seems money is the driver of many, and rightfully so in many instances.
    We could be asking about a golf club or ball and is that overly over priced club worth it-well to a skilled person -yes it probably is worth every cent.
    Take an automobile now there is a regulated item.
    Some can go 100s of miles an hour- but all are limited to the sign on the side of the road.
    Some think 15K is too much and then there is the business owner that just spent $875K on the Rolls.
    Both are limited/regulated to the speed sign.
    Using a cheap tool, blade and using a quality product one can only really tell if one has the skill set to begin with.
    Put a $3k or a $300 detector in the hands of most newbies and its a same/same.
    ScoTTT2 and crashbandicoot like this.
    "If it was easy-It would have already been done-Life 101."

si
    Nov 2017
    Countryside
    DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
    326 times
    I do not belive the depth is purposly limited, it's just not in the scope of developement and improvements.
    ScoTTT2 likes this.

us
    Jul 2021
    steuben county, ny
    124 times
    all the detector manufactures have a engineering dept .. if the machines they built were actually capped, these guys would know that .. so would everyone else associated with the industry .. now with two major players closing their doors .. any, now unemployed engineer along with a friend from the marketing dept, would build and sell this great un-capped machine .. make themselves a bunch of money, shutting down the other major companies .. but it is here, in engineering, where the science is the limiting factor .. then there is the "how deep do you need to go to find a dime" or where is the deepest the metal actually is located at any given site .. this is where a fraction of an inch makes a difference .. if your machine can only find a dime at 10 inches, but the dimes are all at 11 inches, that is a huge difference .. to some people .. companies are now making machines for the sales, surely .. cutting corners on performance, but still workable as a hobby detector .. some in this category are much better than others .. this allows someone to get into the hobby for little money and see if they like detecting, and if so, they might stay loyal to their brand and buy a real good detector .. but these same companies also offer their "best, known" performance in a better, more costly machine .. those companies will also push to produce a better and better machine as the science and engineering allows .. but they do not limit what they can do, so as to make you buy something later on, that makes no business sense .. it is an individual's choice as to which detector is best for them .. some people don't want or have a need to push the limits of a detector .. then there are others who will always push the limits, wondering just what lies a fraction of an inch deeper.
    pepperj likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Nokta Simplex Plus// Nokta Pulsedive// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
    28024 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post
    ...I have a couple Noktas I don't even use.
    Could you send them to me? I'll pay shipping!
    Some of My Finds: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...lbums4377.html

My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/GoTreasureHunting
    Please Subscribe!

My Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/OldTerrySoloman

My Music Page:
    https://www.facebook.com/Terrys-Musi...33016710344976

us
    Aug 2015
    Ohio
    Minelab Equinox 600, Nokta Impact, Nokta Makro Simplex +, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Ace 350
    166 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahts-a-dats-ago View Post
    It seems as though the laws of physics would be the major factor in depth and separation limits.
    There's your answer.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel
    37348 times
    Banner Finds (9)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    The FCC has had the ability to regulate frequencies on metal detectors since their inception in 1934. So, nothing new here.

si
    Nov 2017
    Countryside
    DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
    326 times
    The fact is, we just like to go out on a fresh air, just anywhere, without any previous research, and leave ourselfes to the beeps while digging out our targets with as little effort as possible. Picking our targets by chance and statistics, finding something made from silver or even gold makes our day fullfiled. This is what the commercial hobby detector is tailored for, and it is unsurpassed king.
    I am using my 4m detector on a regular basis, slightly deeper than a Nox, and i really wonder how many people would be interested in machine like this? What, not deep enough? Oh yeah, the ingeeners of the developement team just deliver what they are told to. And the metal detector manufacturer is not interested in a few excentric customers, but rather the wast majority of them, most hasn't have a clue of what would they need or want - and this is a domain of another department, to spread the proper religion as much as possible. It's called customer education.

Charter Member
    us
    May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Nokta Simplex Plus// Nokta Pulsedive// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
    28024 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Pulse Induction, and the power supplied to the coil. This is why PI machines are deeper than VLF machines, and Why Minelab continues to be the most used machine in goldfields, European artifact locations, and civil war relic sites. Radio Waves will always be limited, electro shock therapy is deep and satisfying!
    Some of My Finds: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...lbums4377.html

My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/GoTreasureHunting
    Please Subscribe!

My Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/OldTerrySoloman

My Music Page:
    https://www.facebook.com/Terrys-Musi...33016710344976

si
    Nov 2017
    Countryside
    DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
    326 times
    IGBT driven, high voltage, high current pulses. 800W/uS of polarization power.... Entirely different game.

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2020
    Dumas,AR
    2560 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    Could you send them to me? I'll pay shipping!
    With the exception of Terry,s comment here,this is still an unproductive line of argument,FCC limitation on power is not the same as a company deliberately capping the depth a detector will reach.As I understand it the reason for different coils is to achieve a particular result,as in the bigger the coil,more depth,more coverage per swing,a smaller coil gives better separation in trashy places and is easier to use in close quarters,no conspiracy there.But I like an argument as well as anybody,so have at it!

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    41473 times
    Quote Originally Posted by crashbandicoot View Post
    With the exception of Terry,s comment here,this is still an unproductive line of argument,FCC limitation on power is not the same as a company deliberately capping the depth a detector will reach.As I understand it the reason for different coils is to achieve a particular result,as in the bigger the coil,more depth,more coverage per swing,a smaller coil gives better separation in trashy places and is easier to use in close quarters,no conspiracy there.But I like an argument as well as anybody,so have at it!
    True, and no manufacturer is limiting depth either.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

USAF Intelligence 1967-1971
    306th Bomb Wing Strategic Air Command
    Lackland AFB, Tx.
    Lowry AFB, Co.
    McCoy AFB, Fl
    Kadena AFB, Okinawa 1968-1969, 1970-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..." No Expiration Date!

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

I exercise my right to keep and bear arms 24/7/365

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

(PER ADMINS AVATARS AND SIGNATURES DO NOT FALL UNDER RULES FOR RELIGION AND POLITICS)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links