What determines the depth when making a detector

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only have my intuition on this,but if a cap on depth was intentionally built into a detector,some of the really smart guys on here would have discovered it and figured out a way to bypass it.Just my gut feeling.Your mileage may not be the same as mine.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would a manufacturer kneecap their own product by limiting the depth of detection?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Manufacturers do not intentionally cap the depth, the depth for each detector is based on tuning, minerization and the user understanding the detector and it's capabilities.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion like automobiles, you max it out with all the bells and whistles, then how do you continue to improve on it. I mean think about it. Call it what you want but they as you stated dial it down or electronic engineering terms. I stick with my opinions knowing or not or purposely or not something is determined, or heck why not someone on here that’s electronically inclined to create it blow the rest away, yes , no or maybe. Go go max out on any given product you put yourself out of business fast

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Manufactures do not cap depth, think about it, why would 2 major manufacturers go bankrupt instead of increasing depth if it was being intentional capped.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So treasure hunter asking in reality how much can we expect a detector to improve, nothing else but depth and separation honestly. Unless it digs for you, so I do believe they have full control of the machine, look they have these little updates so that’s proof, minelab will have to come up with an update, why because this new lightning machine coming out next week will most certainly compete with minelab 800. So there’s the proof we need. They have there own way to manipulate or make gradual improves to stay in business long term. How often do machines come out not low end machines

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unproductive line of argument,if they do,you still have to buy a machine if you want one,so unless anyone has solid proof of this or has discovered a way around if it is capped,so what?

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you ever here the term over doing yourself, sure you have to buy a machine. Explain this why spend 200 dollars on a coil to pick up an inch. Look I’m not trying to convince you of anything but the obvious. The equinox 800 is going to be forced to update there machine with something I’m telling you all machines are made out of usa. Point is notka makro will have a machine out real soon as equal or better and cost maybe 200 dollars less. I don’t need to convince loyal brand users anything,the proof you will see shortly. Incremental improvements are part of staying in business, no Rhodes scholar degree required, thankyou for your opinion , but facts override opinions, I’m not loyal to any company, as you see my only machines are whiteddfx, and simplex, I’m sure Garrett and others are sufficiently enough but myself and friend put machines to task especially my friend he should get sponsored from minelab

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems as though the laws of physics would be the major factor in depth and separation limits. Then there are governmental regulations - though they most certainly aren't the major limiting factor.

The only logical manufacturer-imposed limits would be in relation to their desire to offer machines that are smoother running - typically the more entry level machines. In recent years it seems as though all of the major manufacturers have made it a point to offer machines that can run on the razor's edge - maximum depth/separation (for the current technology) but just a hair away from being unstable and unusable by most. Look at the forums and you'll find various complaints about machines that are too sparky/unstable.

As for the new Nokta smf machine...

Nokta hasn't released the name. I'm not sure where the name "lightning" stems from, but it sure wasn't from an official proclamation put forth by Nokta-Makro. Maybe the name will be "lightning" but for the time being that is just conjecture.

I'm a fan of Nokta-Makro machines, and I have high hopes that their new smf machine will be very competitive (with other top end machines) but let's not count the chickens before they hatch. The Equinox is a formidable competitor; it got where it is (sales-wise) because it performs. Until a manufacturer produces a machine that is superior to the Equinox (and that could well be another Minelab machine) everything is just marketing noise.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The FCC limits the "power" the coil can transmit at. Metal detectors fall under "unlicensed transmitters". It's like 5 watts max. Maybe 1/2 amp at our voltages. And depth is dependent on field strength

Can't have our detectors bringing down aircraft or disrupting telecommunications.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok then Charlie you just admitted or proved my point fcc limits the power, knew there was a reason you just told everyone now they no thanks, so if fcc limits the power the coil can transmit. Then we are currently maxed out in performance. So why spend more on coils then if limitations are controlled by fcc .look obviously your smarter than I. But you just proved the fact to all metal detectorist don’t expect much as in depth performance folks, fcc limits the power.thanks Charlie we are stuck with the fcc decisions with the factors you just stated. Now we no

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The FCC limits the "power" the coil can transmit at. Metal detectors fall under "unlicensed transmitters". It's like 5 watts max. Maybe 1/2 amp at our voltages. And depth is dependent on field strength

Can't have our detectors bringing down aircraft or disrupting telecommunications.

Charlie is correct, it is 5 watts on the coil. Depth depends more on the user, how he sets up his detector, tunes it, understands it. I have dug over 20 inches deep with 15 inch coils at the local beaches using reverse discrimination on my customized excals, the issue is just how deep do you want to dig nickels.

I will take my Minelabs over Nokta any day, I have a couple Noktas I don't even use.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure the minelab equinox had the game changer of a machine until now because nobody really challenged them , competition eventually comes along better for us all. In ending I’m loyal to no company I way all my options thankyou for your information

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure the minelab equinox had the game changer of a machine until now because nobody really challenged them , competition eventually comes along better for us all. In ending I’m loyal to no company I way all my options thankyou for your information

I worked on Minelabs and I worked on Noktas in the repair center, I prefer Minelabs, if you prefer Noktas more power to you, it is personal preference.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter is correct. To each his own. Will detectors be invented in the next 10 years or 20 years that will get a nickel 3 feet under? Probably not. Physics limits how deep the machines will go. Now a buried CAR at 3 feet, yes, it will read it. Do you REALLY want to chase small chump change 3 feet under? Plus most coins are less than 15". And that's in a plowed field.

Stop worrying over what doesn't exist. Those batteries only give so much power to a machine. Find something you like and go play with it.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You proved the point the fcc limits the power of the metal detector, it’s the principle folks, not about digging a 10 foot hole. You proved my point it’s regulated. All you ever get is very small incremental improvements at best. Don’t waste hundreds of dollars on coils that will give you a fraction of what. Then some say oh if you learn machine and adjustments, oh I’m not here to argue this, those of you educated folks just told all metal detector owners the machines are capped or limited thankyou truth it be shamefully, that’s why I hesitated to think I spend more I gain little, thanks

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ask some of you when using tools or other equipment, do you not want the best to perform the job, not going to a dollar store for tools, if you don’t understand your not open mind and I will not comment anymore, I purchase a detector to give me the optimal performance, even the ctx isn’t worth 3000 dollars for the expert user because it’s regulated,

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The depth of a VLF is limited by phisics if you want to stay with reasonable current consumption. Non the less this is not the only technology, nore are most of commetcial detector at their maximum. The true anwser is market. You do. How come? The strongest and mainly only realm of commercial VLFs is "blind" hunting. The happiness comes by as many holes dug as possible, by digging deep holes, you would only waste thime - statisticaly speaking. It's game of chance. People just like gambling - and why not.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You proved the point the fcc limits the power of the metal detector, it’s the principle folks, not about digging a 10 foot hole. You proved my point it’s regulated. All you ever get is very small incremental improvements at best. Don’t waste hundreds of dollars on coils that will give you a fraction of what. Then some say oh if you learn machine and adjustments, oh I’m not here to argue this, those of you educated folks just told all metal detector owners the machines are capped or limited thankyou truth it be shamefully, that’s why I hesitated to think I spend more I gain little, thanks

Ok they're limited in power-so work within those limits.
Coils-"Don’t waste hundreds of dollars on coils that will give you a fraction of what" I say what?

Put a 13/15" coil on and go into a iron/nail infested site-then put on a 4/5" coil on and do the same- one will see why the manufacture made the small coil.
There's a market for both size coils-large go deep theory, large cover more area quicker (which seems to be the norm with many-a race)
Put a 4" coil on and go do an acre (200'x200') it's like painting the side of the barn with an artist brush-but one can really see the details.
The HF coil that Dues has-not a waste of money-cost as much as a machine or more.
If a person can afford it and it gives them an inch of depth why not-enjoy the process.
It seems money is the driver of many, and rightfully so in many instances.
We could be asking about a golf club or ball and is that overly over priced club worth it-well to a skilled person -yes it probably is worth every cent.
Take an automobile now there is a regulated item.
Some can go 100s of miles an hour- but all are limited to the sign on the side of the road.
Some think 15K is too much and then there is the business owner that just spent $875K on the Rolls.
Both are limited/regulated to the speed sign.
Using a cheap tool, blade and using a quality product one can only really tell if one has the skill set to begin with.
Put a $3k or a $300 detector in the hands of most newbies and its a same/same.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread