Serious Question abpout Old School Houses - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: Serious Question abpout Old School Houses

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5738 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Back in my day, as a kid, we all carried 'lunch money' to school
    Yup, if I brought my bag lunch, I always had 10 cents with me for milk. If I was going to have a hot lunch, I brought 50 cents (I think that's how much it was back in the 70's).

You also have to remember that teachers were always supervising the kids outside. Male teachers had change in their pockets, while female teachers had bracelets and pendants that could easily fall off while breaking up a scuffle between two kids.

Old schools also have Matchbox and Tootsie Toy cars, marbles, pocketknives, Crackerjack toys and other cool items from that era.

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2020
    Dumas,AR
    2678 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBirdTim View Post
    Yup, if I brought my bag lunch, I always had 10 cents with me for milk. If I was going to have a hot lunch, I brought 50 cents (I think that's how much it was back in the 70's).

You also have to remember that teachers were always supervising the kids outside. Male teachers had change in their pockets, while female teachers had bracelets and pendants that could easily fall off while breaking up a scuffle between two kids.

Old schools also have Matchbox and Tootsie Toy cars, marbles, pocketknives, Crackerjack toys and other cool items from that era.
    Good post Tim,what I was thinking.More to be found than just coins.
    jeff of pa and FreeBirdTim like this.

us
    Bob and Denise

Apr 2021
    Illinois
    Denise-garrett apex and whites coinmaster Bob- Nox800 and Garrett AT Max
    1238 times
    Metal Detecting
    Schools around here used grounds for carnivals and festivals. Busy places.
    jeff of pa and fistfulladirt like this.

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County, Pa.
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PROs .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers.... 1 Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    46486 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Most one room Schools were placed on the Corner of Farmers Fields.
    Probably because the Land was Donated by a wealthy Farmer.

So of course Ball Games ended up in the field next to the School also.

around here School Picnics were usually Held at a Small Grove by a Nearby Creek Where there was a Covered bridge withing Sprinting Distance, In case a Storm hits. so keep that in mind

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000hij.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	1946786   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000xyz.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	1946787  
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Sep 11, 2021 at 08:06 PM.
    crashbandicoot and Gare like this.

Fat
    us
    Mr. finishup all the leftovers

Oct 2020
    Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
    I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
    5900 times
    Dark skinned women digging there toes in white sugar sand beaches
    ...schools here were placed on a school section. One in every township. The school district leased the land out to make part of there budget.

Edit
    I went to a one room school house. When I graduated high school there were only 7 people in my class in town..
    Last edited by Fat; Sep 11, 2021 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Edit

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    4920 times
    My experience has been that really old small schools produce few coins, kids didn't carry much in the way of money back in the 1800s and early 1900s. I have done extremely well at schools that were in use from the 1930s-now. Like others have said, early on kids brought their lunch to school but later on carried lunch money. I was the first to hunt several elementary schools in my area back in 1970-1972 and we cleaned up on silver, like sometimes over forty-fifty silver coins a day. After the first summer hunting my girlfriend and I each had a pint jar of silvers (war nickles didn't count). These were schools that were still in use but had been there since the early 1900s. We actually found few coins from the early days the schools were used, most coins were from the 1930s-when we hunted. Of course in 1970 silver was only six years out of circulation. Churches have been better for early coins but I live in an area where there are many churches that are two hundred years or more old and they were there before any schools in many cases. More social events were held at churches than schools 1700s-1800s, they were the community centers. Of course, schools and churches along with parks and picnic areas have been written about in treasure hunting books since the 1960s so it is pretty hard to find virgin ones any more. There are likely a few left, but very few, there is somebody with a detector in most towns all over the country these days. The #1 spot was by the swings, second the slide, then jungle gym. Hunting a ball field, second, third, and home are better than first, nobody slides into first. Detecting is tough nowadays, so many hunters, so little virgin ground. Yes, still a lot of good hunting for those with patience, but the days of finding fifty dropped silver coins in a day are pretty much gone in most areas.
    Last edited by gunsil; Sep 11, 2021 at 09:43 PM.
    Fat, GoDeep, jeff of pa and 4 others like this.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

May 2018
    89 times
    my best site was a circa 1910 school. A Walker, three Barber dimes, three Mercs, two silver GWs, 7-8 each Rosies and IHPs, 3 V nickels and a couple Buffs, lots of wheats, a carriage company watch fob, and more. And i doubt i was the first there. I sure wouldn't skip detecting an old school site.
    jeff of pa, Fat and crashbandicoot like this.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    18760 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    usually i can tell houses that were school houses just by their design
    but as a kid i would go thru map books and search
    old school house road
    schoolhouse road
    Academy rd
    sometimes just school rd
    almost every town in new england will have at least 1
    some will have more
    good luck
    jeff of pa, Gare, Fat and 2 others like this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

Dec 2003
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PROs .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers.... 1 Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    46486 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-2 View Post
    usually i can tell houses that were school houses just by their design
    but as a kid i would go thru map books and search
    old school house road
    schoolhouse road
    Academy rd
    sometimes just school rd
    almost every town in new england will have at least 1
    some will have more
    good luck
    yes most schools and churches have a unique look
    Gare, Fat and crashbandicoot like this.

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    50757 times
    Relic Hunting
    I drive by schools now thinking that most that have any age to them have probably been hit over the past 50yrs.
    Sure the replenishing of drops will seed the grounds and fields as most public places, and if a person enjoys those then there's plenty to do.

Though I do remember the first one room school house in our little town.
    This was a easy for coinage and it had plenty it seemed at the time mostly pennies, though the silvers were there and by today's standards a honey hole of sites.
    What comes to mind the most was the amount of coins in groups-not a spill but over a 10ft circle area-many over lapping into another circled area dates ranging from the 1920-1950's. After one of many returns I questioned this out loud on why would we be digging a dozen coins from in a almost perfect circle all from a certain date range-then another grouping?
    My mother said when she went to school in the 1920's it was a common thing to do every fall when all the maple leaves were racked into piles was for the kids to play in the piles by jumping into them and rolling off-hence loosing a penny out of their pockets and other little treasures.

Still to this day over 50 yrs later I can remember 2 finds that I got from that little school yard.
    One being a 1936 penny and I ran home thinking I had found a real key date coin (but it was missing the dot)
    The other was a Little Orphan Annie decoder in working condition-kind of strange how two little treasures can influence a person for 5+ decades more with the passion as it was when those 2 finds were dug.
    I guess today it's whole easier, as the detector doesn't weigh so much it takes both hands to swing it,-maybe it was just because I was too young, and it was heavy and awkward. White's GoldMaster 14 AA batteries.
    Gare, jeff of pa, 3cylbill and 4 others like this.
    "If it was easy-It would have already been done-Life 101."

au
    Sep 2004
    Eaglehawk
    GPX
    1570 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Hi ,Why would a school house have a lifting device up into the loft ? Some where to store the gold bars ? tp
    jeff of pa and crashbandicoot like this.

Dec 2003
    46486 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    You always Hang-em-High so the Feet don't hit the floor before the noose Tightens.
    a broken ankle would be cruel.
    Not to mention a Do-over after setting it, is a waste of time !
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Sep 12, 2021 at 11:09 AM.
    Fat and crashbandicoot like this.

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5738 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    My success rate for schools is usually a couple of silver dimes and maybe a war nickel. Most have been picked clean for decades. I will mention one exception, though. I once found a 1940's bottle dump in the woods behind a 1930's school. After I removed about 300 bottles and moved a ton of broken glass out of the way, I started to eyeball coins! My first one was a Barber quarter, so I knew it was going to be a fun spot. I ended up finding 78 wheaties and 15 silver coins. All were from 1910 to 1943.

My theory is that it was a dumping ground for a bar that went belly up in the 1950's. It had hundreds of liquor bottles and literally thousands of bottle caps in it. I'm thinking the coins were swept up with bottle caps after closing and no one noticed them. Maybe only one or two were missed a week, but it added up to 93 coins over time.

But a few may have also come from the school's trash, since I found some 1930's Crackerjack toys and marbles in the dump. There were some pens and pencils in there and a few ink bottles as well.

Moral of the story? Check out those old schools and keep an eye out for a dump site nearby. You may find some really good stuff back there!

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    4553 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I have one rural schoolhouse site every square mile from me here in lower Mich…a few still standing have been hunted repeatedly over the years. There’s one highly visible schoolhouse in which the farmer gives everyone that asks permission. I first hunted it when I was 16 in 1978. Recently, a father/son team spent an entire week hunting it!

I like to hunt the invisible schoolhouses that I’ve researched, and I’ve done very well at those sites.

Someone (school teachers) ? carried money at the school houses, because that is where I find a lot of old coins ! A lot of people visited and carried coins at school houses, and the students did carry Indian Head pennies. They were almost a staple for the little boys playing marbles. Yes, even back then they gambled. In a bean field where a school house once stood, I found a Morgan Dollar. Could have been a weeks wages for the poor teacher that lost it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links