Another Drone Video of a Monster Buck in my Pasture

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's so cool that the sound doesn't seem to make them spooked.
Nice rack on his head.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Posted your video over at a bowhunting site I frequent..waiting
to hear how the buck would score on the Pope and Young. :)

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few stills you can save them and then blow them up

DJI_0296.JPG DJI_0305.JPG DJI_0306.JPG

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gare, the general consensus is that it's a 140-150 class deer.

Not a monster, but a fine buck by any standard. Hope he gets
a chance to spread those good genes and make a bunch more
like him..:occasion14:

I've always hunted Blacktail's, and horns/score really don't make
any difference to me..when I do hunt, I'm out there to put meat
in the freezer.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd gamble he's a 3 year old.

Nice browse. He's taking advantage of it and coming off summer skinny. Intime to get run down seeking doe pre rut. Then the rut itself.
Wintered well enough. The bottleneck then taxes deer. (Well depending on habitat and clime..) Antler growth when they start in the spring calls on skeletal reserves in part. Rough winter or poor environment , even drought can be telling.
Prime potential antlers are a luxury , based on health ,based on mineral and multiple minerals uptake and general diet by season.
Rich fertile soil helps. As does a smorgasbord variety of browse.

Here's a view we built a platform by a couple days ago. A favorite picture due to the doe using the cover to check the open area. The first deer the other night came out from that same spot.(A couple deer came out to browse after we were done for the day and loafing on the platform.) A cut into the alders leading to open ground..

The site is former cattle pasture , followed by corn. Then fallow about 2 decades.

IMG_0193 (1).JPG

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep, looks like she's gonna hang back in that brush til she
knows it's safe. Nice spot for a stand. :icon_thumright:

Lots of deer around our place...I could probably just sit on
the porch with my bow..:laughing7:

DSC_0011.jpg

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dizzy i used to hunt the big guys. Then i found out the bigger the rack the more we disliked deer meat. The young ones were ok but the old ones i used to shoot tasted bad. If you wanted beef you would not want a 10 year old breeding bull . Deer were the same way with us.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dizzy i used to hunt the big guys. Then i found out the bigger the rack the more we disliked deer meat. The young ones were ok but the old ones i used to shoot tasted bad. If you wanted beef you would not want a 10 year old breeding bull . Deer were the same way with us.

I hunt with traditional gear, and limit my shots to 25 yds. and under.
The last two deer I took were both spikes, and were delicious. I'd
take a spike or young doe over one of those old leatherneck bucks
any day..:occasion14:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have a friend that grew up here in Southern California and she had venison here as a kid then she moved around and ended up in Iowa where her husband is an avid hunter and she did not understand why the venison tasted so much different, gamey in SoCal but delicious in Iowa and I told her it was the food source out here it was brush, sage acorns and just natural browse but in Iowa they were in Alfalfa, corn ,soybeans and whatever else farmers had in the fields and even the older big bucks weren't bad although sometimes stringy or tough, so yes age and the browse make a massive difference. I grew up on the gamey stuff so it doesn't bug me much. Although I would probably change my tune if I could get Iowa or any other farm fresh venison. Beautiful bucks by the way I watched the other video also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread