Want a good detector on a budget... Any deals on Minelab Vanquish 340, 440 or 540?

JofraArcher

Sep 13, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm interested in getting my first detector. I had a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with a bunch of basic accessories (pinpointer, sifter, trowel, bag) in my Amazon cart and was about ready to make the purchase, but then I read about how poorly most detectors work on wet sand on the beach. I intend to use it in my local area (PA, USA), but I want to get this before we go to the ocean (first time in years), so wet sand usability would be a huge plus.

Given my original budget was only $100 for just the detector, spending $370 on the Vanquish 540 is quite a leap (though I'd love the bluetooth and backlit screen). As is spending $280 on the 440. The $199 340 looks to have many of the same benefits of the 440 when it comes to detecting in less ideal situations (wet sand), but it also is lacking in some key areas and it doesn't come with headphones or even a rain cover, so it really doesn't feel like much better of a value.

I think if I could just find some sale prices this would be an easier choice... but not much has turned up. I see Kellyco has a reddit coupon code, but after shipping they still cost more than Amazon. I'd even go used, but there is zero second hand market for this stuff near me.

I'm not sure what to do here, but I am on a bit of a time crunch. I've had so much other stuff going on it only just dawned on me as we're nearing our vacation that I'd love to go detecting at the beach (and yes, I've checked to be sure it's legal where we're going).

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
We have all the top of the line detectors the main ones.

The Nox's are getting the most exercise these days.

However the vanquish line up we have two 440's. They are the best machines we have ever used in the 200 to 300 range.

Easy to use deep seeking and they can sniff out some silver.

Buy a 440 you will be impressed for the price. Feel confident out there while swinging it.

Can't go wrong with them. Heard the simplex is pretty good also.

Jer

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all you get is a toy for a 100 bucks . check out the simplex .

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call the forum sponsors. It will be worth your time.

z96Cobra

Sep 12, 2021
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540
Minelab Quattro
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The $370 Vanquish 540 has Bluetooth, but doesn't include Bluetooth headphones unless you've found a place that includes them in a "deal". You'll have to spend about $499 to get the 540 Pro Pack to get the BT headphones included, along with the extra 8" coil.

Since you mentioned Amazon... If you have an Amazon card, they usually offer 6 months 0% interest for items in that price range. If you spend $600+, it's 12 months @ 0%.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread