General Sherman tree Ca.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am really stressed because a local fire is near this tree. The reason is because my relative named this tree after the war. He was there for years and lived with American Natives. He died there and there are many stories most are not true. Hospital rock is where he died. He showed John Muir the area and did not get credit. No one knows my relative but his last name was Wolverton. If you have Info let me know. :notworthy:

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting. I study the 1800's WOLVERTON maps to find places to detect. Don't know if that's related.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That,s cool.I sincerely hope the tree survives,for it,s own sake and because it means so much to you personally.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Allow me a small story,it,s not as significant as yours,but involves trees and their loss.When I was around 12 or so we had a hunting lease on a piece of bottomland hardwood timber in a location called Big Island.A true remote place at the time,1964 or so.It was owned by a timber co.On this lease was a magnificent stand of very old,very large pecan trees,some so tall you couldn,t kill a squirrel in the top of one with a shotgun,they were truly that tall.I spent many hours there,squirrel hunting,but also just admiring and enjoying the trees for themselves.With my boyish wonder I named them,considered them friends in a way I can,t explain to this day.Over one summer those trees were cut and logged,imagine my dismay when I first saw that the following fall.Never really got over that,even though I knew they were not mine to begin with.Still love trees to this day,still hate to see them cut.Just a little story so you,ll know I truly hope your tree survives.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just looked it up. 2300 to 2700 years old. It has survived many fires in that time, I'm certain. Relax.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Allow me a small story,it,s not as significant as yours,but involves trees and their loss.When I was around 12 or so we had a hunting lease on a piece of bottomland hardwood timber in a location called Big Island.A true remote place at the time,1964 or so.It was owned by a timber co.On this lease was a magnificent stand of very old,very large pecan trees,some so tall you couldn,t kill a squirrel in the top of one with a shotgun,they were truly that tall.I spent many hours there,squirrel hunting,but also just admiring and enjoying the trees for themselves.With my boyish wonder I named them,considered them friends in a way I can,t explain to this day.Over one summer those trees were cut and logged,imagine my dismay when I first saw that the following fall.Never really got over that,even though I knew they were not mine to begin with.Still love trees to this day,still hate to see them cut.Just a little story so you,ll know I truly hope your tree survives.

I felt the same way, during my childhood in the 60's, watching them clear-cut all of Western Washington. Many, many, many one-log loads went past my house, heading for the mills.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Pecan is extremely difficult to dry without warping. You have to put stickers every foot and put 150 lbs per sq ft of weight on the stickered stack. It has to be dried fast or the sap wood will turn gray. I have a sawmill and have messed with this stuff. Don't think I'll cut anymore either. Gary

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I never understood how someone can look at a magnificent forest and stand in awe of it's beauty and complexity. Then the next person looks at it and all they see are dollar signs. I feel sorry for these types of people.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread