Counterfeit

Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was given these two 1887 CC Morgans yesterday by a store owner who knew they were fakes (a magnet sticks to them), and I was hoping to get a few answers on them. I plan on checking their hardness, density, and maybe cutting one in half to look at the cross section. My guess is that they are stainless steel, which would explain why they are ferrous. However, what this won't tell me is where these coins came from. Does anybody know where counterfeit coins like these are made? Is there any test I can perform to get an idea of where/how a coin like this was produced?

IMG_20210923_135755.jpg IMG_20210923_135808.jpg

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dare I say it?:occasion14:the Mole People?:laughing7:My guess would be China too,from some of that scrap we been selling them for the longest.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For sure they'll be from China. It's one of the countries that has no respect (nor legislation, nor a signatory to international agreements) for replica/counterfeit coins of other countries... even when they're still legal currency, as is the case for Morgan Dollars. As I understand it, Chinese law only requires them to be marked as replicas if they're Chinese and are still legal currency.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
that is funny
Well, every other knockoff comes from China, so I guess that doesn't surprise me. It might explain why it is an 1887 CC, a date/mint combo which doesn't actually exist. Any US coin expert would know that already.

Last edited:

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
WAIT.china has laws??? brad
For sure they'll be from China. It's one of the countries that has no respect (nor legislation, nor a signatory to international agreements) for replica/counterfeit coins of other countries... even when they're still legal currency, as is the case for Morgan Dollars. As I understand it, Chinese law only requires them to be marked as replicas if they're Chinese and are still legal currency.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
How can the 'coin' be called a counterfeit or replica ( or even a coin) since that particular date with the CC mint mark never existed? How do you counterfeit or replicate something that never existed? I think of it as a fantasy 'coin'.
Don.......

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can the 'coin' be called a counterfeit or replica ( or even a coin) since that particular date with the CC mint mark never existed? How do you counterfeit or replicate something that never existed? I think of it as a fantasy 'coin'.
Don.......

Call them what you will.

The word “counterfeit” came to us from Latin via old French and from words variously meaning “pretending to be”, “imitated”, and especially a copy or imitation of something made without authority… and more especially if made with a view to deceive or defraud.

It’s academic whether the copying is exact to the extent that dates, mintmarks and such align with genuine examples if the item has been produced with that intention to deceive (an ordinary person).

Over here at least there is a legal restriction on copying “Protected Coins”, defined as any coin that is:

(a) customarily used as money in any country; or
(b) specified in an Order made by the Treasury.
The coins that have been specified in an Order by the Treasury are: the Sovereign, Half-Sovereign, Krugerrand, coins denominated as a fraction of krugerrand, Maria Theresa thaler bearing the date 1780 and the euro.
[Most US coins are automatically protected by the UK regulations since (unlike our UK coins) they remain legal currency irrespective of date since the US Treasury does not have a demonetarisation policy for older coins]

A counterfeit of a protected coin [or currency note] is defined by the Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981 as:

(a) a thing that is not a currency note or a protected coin but resembles a currency note or protected coin (whether on one side only or on both) to such an extent that it is reasonably capable of passing for a currency note or protected coin of that description; or
(b) if it is a currency note or protected coin which has been so altered that it is reasonably capable of passing for a currency note or protected coin of that description.

The addition of words such as “copy” or “reproduction” affords legal protection against the offence of counterfeiting in the UK but, in many cases, the producer must still seek Treasury consent, if only for copyright reasons.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
China! I bought a pillar style Spanish 8 reale, had it a few weeks, I got it slightly damp from my soda, 'twas on the couch and it RUSTED! I was able to return it.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call them what you will.

The word “counterfeit” came to us from Latin via old French and from words variously meaning “pretending to be”, “imitated”, and especially a copy or imitation of something made without authority… and more especially if made with a view to deceive or defraud.

It’s academic whether the copying is exact to the extent that dates, mintmarks and such align with genuine examples if the item has been produced with that intention to deceive (an ordinary person).

Over here at least there is a legal restriction on copying “Protected Coins”, defined as any coin that is:

(a) customarily used as money in any country; or
(b) specified in an Order made by the Treasury.
The coins that have been specified in an Order by the Treasury are: the Sovereign, Half-Sovereign, Krugerrand, coins denominated as a fraction of krugerrand, Maria Theresa thaler bearing the date 1780 and the euro.
[Most US coins are automatically protected by the UK regulations since (unlike our UK coins) they remain legal currency irrespective of date since the US Treasury does not have a demonetarisation policy for older coins]

A counterfeit of a protected coin [or currency note] is defined by the Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981 as:

(a) a thing that is not a currency note or a protected coin but resembles a currency note or protected coin (whether on one side only or on both) to such an extent that it is reasonably capable of passing for a currency note or protected coin of that description; or
(b) if it is a currency note or protected coin which has been so altered that it is reasonably capable of passing for a currency note or protected coin of that description.

The addition of words such as “copy” or “reproduction” affords legal protection against the offence of counterfeiting in the UK but, in many cases, the producer must still seek Treasury consent, if only for copyright reasons.

RedCoat strikes again!!!!

OP
OP
EnvoyToTheMolePeople
Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don.......

Fair enough, but the guy who gave them to me also had a few others with legitimate mint/date combos. I just took these two because they were the only pair. He said they were all sold by the same person.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Counterfeit collectibles are everywhere now. EBay is full of counterfeit baseball cards. By law, reprints should be stamped "reprint" or "replica" on the back, but none of them are marked as such. The sleazy dealers put "RP" in the listing title (for reprint), but not many actually call them a reprint. They eventually get negative feedback for hiding the fact that they're charging 10 bucks for a worthless reprint, but I guess they don't care, as long as they're making money on them. I report them to eBay, but they do nothing because it would cut into their profits.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread