pinpointers

wormnblack

Jan 8, 2007
Dyersburg, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hey all!

I'm wanting to get a hand held pinpointer but I have no clue which one to get. A friend has one and I use his when we're out together. It's a White's and I miss it sorely when he's not around. I have come to realize just how valuable they can be. It would be helpful if anyone could give me a suggestion/review with price. Thankx a million!

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the DX-1 for my MXT. It easily goes 2"-3". However, it mounts on the shaft of your detector and increases the weight of it by about 11 ozs. It is also sensitive about 2" up from the end of the probe. Some guys complain that because of its increased sensitivity its sometimes hard to pinpoint with it in a hole. I use an MXT which allows me to double click the pinpoint trigger which in turn reduces the sensitivity of the probe down to the tip. This is possible because the DX-1 probe works through your detector. At this point in time I wouldn't trade my DX-1 for any other.

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
Having experience with a few of them myself I would say:
1. Sunray probe that connects to your detector if you have a detector that they make one for.
Why= Its the strongest, most efficient probe out there.
2. The vibraprobe: hanheld, battery operated and waterproof
3. Whites bullseye: Its handy battery operated and if you have a problem with it, whites is good about replacing it. Good Luck on your choice, Johnny 8) 8)

OP
OP
wormnblack

wormnblack

Jan 8, 2007
Dyersburg, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
AH! I see. I may go with one of the first two you mentioned. I just looked at the Sunray and they do make one for my detector. The only decision now is which one do I really want?

I really do appreciate the information, guys. Thanks!

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
So you dont regret it later, if you can afford the sunray then do it!!!! Believe me, you wont be sorry!! 8) 8)

OP
OP
wormnblack

wormnblack

Jan 8, 2007
Dyersburg, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Cool, dude! Thanks! I'll keep it in mind, most definately. Hmmm...I wonder how much Christmas money I'll be getting this year... LOL

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a used Vibra probe on Evilbay for 60.00 bucks. I am very happy with it. Waterproof & very sturdy! Turns itself off when not in use. I'm not downing whites but I have heard neg. things about the bullseye switches breaking.
Just my 2 cents.....

Brian

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
baspinall said:
I bought a used Vibra probe on Evilbay for 60.00 bucks. I am very happy with it. Waterproof & very sturdy! Turns itself off when not in use. I'm not downing whites but I have heard neg. things about the bullseye switches breaking.
Just my 2 cents.....

Brian
The switch on mine never broke, but a friends did and whites sent him a new one when he sent his in. 8) 8)

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
The Vibraprobe would serve you well. I used one for 4 years but now that I have the Sunray on my MXT I don't see how I could ever go back. Also you can carry the Sunray probe in your pocket to help reduce the weight.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Vibra Probe 560 and wouldn't be without it. It works excellent and is very sturdy.
I see a TN member just listed a like new used one in the classified section for $90 shipped. That is a good buy. It won't last long.
They run about $130 new.
Good luck,
MM

bike

Dec 14, 2007
I have the Sunray probe for my sovereign and also Vibraprobe.When I get ready to dig I check with the vibraprobe first as it doesn't go very deep,saves alot of digging.If I don't detect any thing then I use the Sunray probe as it will detect deeper around 2-3 inches.Saves on digging.

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Sun Ray probe on my MXT. I prefer my Whites Bullsye because I can whip it out faster than unhooking the Sun Ray and flipping the toggle switch. Honestly by the time i go thru that process I can already locate my target and have it recovered, most of the time. So I suppose I use my inline probe more or less as a backup to my Bullseye.

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
The Whites Bullseye is by far one of the best pinpointers out there.I've gone through three seasons of heavy use problem free.Having to reset for maximum sensitivity is a minor inconvenience because it doesn't take long to reset.Having the option for tone indication is a nice feature also.Can be picked up new for well under $100.00.
Just my 2 cents on the matter.Whatever you decide a pinpointer is an invaluable accessory for detecting.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Forgive me for muddying the waters with yet another choice but I feel I must atleast mention the TreasureMate pinpointer as well. It is an incredible pinpointer and you can find more info on it at http://www.treasuremate.net/ as well. Good luck in finding the perfect pinpointer for your needs. There are many available that are great!

OP
OP
wormnblack

wormnblack

Jan 8, 2007
Dyersburg, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Wow! I do believe it's down to the Vibraprobe and the Sunray. I do believe I'm leaning more towards the Sunray, tho. However, the Vibraprobe may be quicker to use; sounds like. It may very well be a coin toss, but for my "feild" work...the Sunray would be more convenient, I think. I appreciate all the help guys!!! Thanks a bunch!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread